Main Menu

Let me tell you what I stand for...

Started by Noisybast, 10 August, 2011, 03:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noisybast

Has anybody got a copy of Dredd's "Let me tell you what I stand for" speech from America? I know Logan has quoted it in the past, but the Search function's down.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

CraveNoir

Where do I stand?

I'll tell you where I stand.

I stand four-square for Justice. I stand for discipline, good order and the rigid application of The Law — and Grud help any limp-wrist liberals who say different.

The people, they know where I stand. They need rules to live by — I provide them. They break the rules, I break them. That's the way it works.

The people like it that way. They need to know where they stand.

Rights?

Sure. I'm all for rights. But not at the expense of order.

That's why I like to see that Statue of Judgement standing there, towering over Liberty.

Kind of a symbol.

Justice has a price.

The price is Freedom.

Noisybast

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Richmond Clements

I think the last two lines are the most important.

Cactus

Just reading that again gives me chills. It encapsulates Dredd's character, his world and the strip's satire of our own society perfectly.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

Spaceghost

The older I get, the more I find myself agreeing with Dredd's words. Don't know what that says about me.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Bluecube

Quote from: Lee Bates on 31 August, 2011, 12:15:19 PM
The older I get, the more I find myself agreeing with Dredd's words. Don't know what that says about me.

It means you probably often say "Eeeeeeeeee. In my day we ate coal and liked it. None of that Scottish Mcdonalds muck. Kids these days don't know their born with their iTelephones and iStereos. In my day we made our own music by twanging our teeth and it never did us any harm." Etc  :D

In all seriousness, that speech always makes shiver. And I do agree with too much of it for my own good...
An Atlantean Triumvirate
Ghosts of the Past
The Centre Cannot Hold

My eBooks are available here for Amazon Kindle. Feedback always welcome!

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Devons Daddy

as we get older dredd views sound like our own.
we, well many of us, grew up with dredd, and in turn his creators did the same. that speach if used at today by some top copper, would likely get him hung by the MPs and heralded a hero by the voting public majority.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!