Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dweezil2

Quote from: Proudhuff on 01 August, 2018, 04:52:24 PM
Underwhelmed by Dredd Under siege... what's the Dreddheads verdict?

Unremarkable, but it reads pretty well and the art is nice.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Frank

The trick of Dredd & Beeny [spoiler]showing a hand each to convince the mutants she'd dropped her gun[/spoiler] was great; the mountain of shite, too. Background stuff like the chart in the school showing the extinction of life on Earth and layering the Rev's disquisition on fear of death over a Kickass [spoiler]church massacre[/spoiler] were blackly comic.

Dredd's relationship with the bike was inspired, too. Beeny's response to the question about pets shows Russell's done his due diligence[1]; it's a nice bit of character that also conveys the central idea around which the story is constructed, although I hate that Russell's used her at all.

I'm guessing she's only there because using Anderson would have underlined that Russell's approach here was to take the basic plot elements of Dredd 3D and rewrite that film in a much more imaginative and fun way. Teaming Dredd with residents makes this story about the citizens and life in MC1[2] in a way that film just wasn't.

Not sure about the flashback structure in part 2, but I suppose that's the freedom the extra page count allows - I wish this was what each issue of the Megazine was like[3]. This is the best IDW Dredd will ever get; a thoughtful and creative writer at the start of his career, telling a story about the cits rather than a hero called Dredd.

[1] Or he's at least read selectively but wisely.

[2] Or even just about anything at all.

[3] £2.50 for 20 pages of a single Dredd story by a top writer, rather than £6.00 for 10 pages of Dredd and 35 pages of other original strip material

Colin YNWA

I'm a big fan of the writer as I've fair screamed about here and I'm enjoying it a great deal.

I mean its no Flintstones but its more than solid.

Frank

dweezil2

Quote from: Frank on 01 August, 2018, 06:56:49 PM

The trick of Dredd & Beeny [spoiler]showing a hand each to convince the mutants she'd dropped her gun[/spoiler] was great; the mountain of shite, too. Background stuff like the chart in the school showing the extinction of life on Earth and layering the Rev's disquisition on fear of death over a Kickass [spoiler]church massacre[/spoiler] were blackly comic.

Dredd's relationship with the bike was inspired, too. Beeny's response to the question about pets shows Russell's done his due diligence[1]; it's a nice bit of character that also conveys the central idea around which the story is constructed, although I hate that Russell's used her at all.

I'm guessing she's only there because using Anderson would have underlined that Russell's approach here was to take the basic plot elements of Dredd 3D and rewrite that film in a much more imaginative and fun way. Teaming Dredd with residents makes this story about the citizens and life in MC1[2] in a way that film just wasn't.

Not sure about the flashback structure in part 2, but I suppose that's the freedom the extra page count allows - I wish this was what each issue of the Megazine was like[3]. This is the best IDW Dredd will ever get; a thoughtful and creative writer at the start of his career, telling a story about the cits rather than a hero called Dredd.

[3] £2.50 for 20 pages of a single Dredd story by a top writer, rather than £6.00 for 10 pages of Dredd and 35 pages of other original strip material

It's only the plot that lets it down, particularly for seasoned Dredd readers.
For newbies unfamiliar with the world of Dredd it does offer a great introduction, in the same way as that of the 2012 movie.

As stated, there are some great zingers amongst the dialogue and even a sprinkling of that satire we love and the writing is generally great. I certainly wouldn't be adverse to Russell doing another run, he certainly seems to have more of a handle on the character which the other US based writers have struggled with.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Link Prime

An above average read so far.
"Mega Shitty 1" won me over in the first issue.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 03 August, 2018, 02:55:03 PM

An above average read so far.
"Mega Shitty 1" won me over in the first issue.

Well Judge Dredd Under Seige - 3 is in my mites now and yes its an above average read. Not as good as much of Russell's other stuff, nor the very best Dredd, but pretty damned good all the same. This issue has some real fun with action movie cliche, cranks up the tension and lays on the commentry good stuff....

... 'but that's just one comic you bought this haul Colin' I hear you cry. 'Tell us about the rest, please, please'

Well okay since you asked so nice.

I'll start with Hillbilly 12 which in many a haul would be 'book of' but not here, but deserves to be taken off early to get it the standing ovation it deserves. This is a mighty powerful way to round off this brilliant and darkly beautiful ongoing. Its only the start of a Hillbilly mini, all be it with different art team, that's staving off the tears that this beauty is over.

So as one door closes another opens and Leviathan 1 is a pretty exciting opening as a glorious Godzilla analogue is summoned at a beerless party (who doesn't at least take some of their own beer / choosen booze to a party?) and wreaks havoc. Some fun is had and a good ending to give the issue the required punch and we have a series while not quite there yet has real potential.

Speaking of which The Weather Man 2 is another such series. By George it seems a million miles away from the original opening premise, but its pretty damned fine stuff that just seems to be cranking up the stakes. Good read and enjoying seeing this one develop.

Another issue 2 is Shanghai Red 2 and I've been disappointed to learn that this is just a 5 part mini - hate the way they sneak out minis these days - still this one has got to it pace and core earlier. One suspects for this very reason (it being a mini). Hard boiled revenge done very well, with simply wonderful atmospheric art. Loving this.

ANOTHER Quantum Ages 2 Black Hammer mini's continue to brilliantly combine the DC Universe analogue thing while building depth and engagement with the world of the core series. This is all just superb stuff....

Anyway all those number two explain why I've saved this hauls song until now... don't worry mangled lyrics fans (if there is such a thing)

Yeah
Ha
When issue two comics go to war
I'll let you know which aren't a bore
(read bores no more, bore no more)
I'll tell which you can't ignore
(Workin' on the reviewin' task)

It takes Immortal Hulk to get to comics
Number 3 or more....

So I guess that leds to Immortal Hulk 3 and 4... and oh this comic is becoming what I hoped it would be. As Al Ewing built this core concept in issues 1 and 2, now established he's pushed the Hulk and Bruce to the background and started to deal more with the world he leaves behind. I was particularly fond of the fact that in issue 4 the only sign of Hulk (one tiny flashback aside) was a pile of destroyed cars he left behind. Great stuff.

Paper Girls 23 continues to remind me why I got onto this series in the first place and Mage - Hero Denied 10 continues to show why this series has been nothing other than first class.

And so we get to book of the Haul. Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur 33 is just an absolute delight. I have my up and downs with this comic, but its issues like this, just mad cap fun of the absolute highest order that remind me remind me just how much I love it when its done well. Oh and that ending could be setting up some real fun.

Proudhuff

Quote from: dweezil2 on 02 August, 2018, 12:12:10 AM

It's only the plot that lets it down, particularly for seasoned Dredd readers.
For newbies unfamiliar with the world of Dredd it does offer a great introduction, in the same way as that of the 2012 movie.

As stated, there are some great zingers amongst the dialogue and even a sprinkling of that satire we love and the writing is generally great. I certainly wouldn't be adverse to Russell doing another run, he certainly seems to have more of a handle on the character which the other US based writers have struggled with.

I tend to agree with all of the above... thanks chaps, will re-reader with new eyes
DDT did a job on me

I, Cosh

New run of Britannia: Lost Eagles of Rome was off to a decent start last week. New artist but not too jarring a change and no surprise that the sexy gladiatrix from the last series is press-ganged into the team.
We never really die.

TordelBack

Quote from: I, Cosh on 16 August, 2018, 08:59:45 AM
New run of Britannia: Lost Eagles of Rome was off to a decent start last week. New artist but not too jarring a change and no surprise that the sexy gladiatrix from the last series is press-ganged into the team.

Prefer the new art so far. Quite like the direction the current investigation starts off in too.

Proudhuff

That's got my interest... never saw the first run, has it been collected?

Just missed the last copy of The Valiant in FP yesterday, so going to order it online, meanwhile picked up the latest issues of Sherlock Holmes; Vanishing Man, Anolog and Whitchfinder, all good stuff.
DDT did a job on me

JOE SOAP

This is the best IDW Dredd will ever get; a thoughtful and creative writer at the start of his career, telling a story about the cits rather than a hero called Dredd.

Aye; if this appeared in the Prog, I think it would stand well against most of the meat and spuds JD stories (and above the cinematic exploits).

broodblik

Quote from: Proudhuff on 16 August, 2018, 12:23:34 PM

This is actually the third run and both the previous two where collected.

https://www.comixology.com/Britannia-Vol-1/digital-comic/465457?ref=c2VyaWVzL3ZpZXcvZGVza3RvcC9ncmlkTGlzdC9jb21peG9sb2d5VW5saW1pdGVk

and

https://www.comixology.com/Britannia-Vol-2-We-Who-Are-About-to-Die/digital-comic/548011?ref=Y29taWMvdmlldy9kZXNrdG9wL3RyYWRlSXRlbQ

Well worth it and I will wait for Britannia: Lost Eagles of Rome to be collected again before I get it.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

blackmocco

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 August, 2018, 07:45:12 AM

Paper Girls 23 continues to remind me why I got onto this series in the first place and Mage - Hero Denied 10 continues to show why this series has been nothing other than first class.

Yeah, I felt it sagged a little in the middle too, but lately Paper Girls has been nothing short of sublime. It's unexpected, twisty, mysterious, and I cannot get enough of the artwork. It and Giant Days are my two go-tos right now. Nothing else comes close. (They make a great double bill each month too!)
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Proudhuff

Quote from: broodblik on 16 August, 2018, 03:55:27 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 16 August, 2018, 12:23:34 PM

This is actually the third run and both the previous two where collected.

https://www.comixology.com/Britannia-Vol-1/digital-comic/465457?ref=c2VyaWVzL3ZpZXcvZGVza3RvcC9ncmlkTGlzdC9jb21peG9sb2d5VW5saW1pdGVk

and

https://www.comixology.com/Britannia-Vol-2-We-Who-Are-About-to-Die/digital-comic/548011?ref=Y29taWMvdmlldy9kZXNrdG9wL3RyYWRlSXRlbQ

Well worth it and I will wait for Britannia: Lost Eagles of Rome to be collected again before I get it.

Cheers, will investigate!
DDT did a job on me