Main Menu

1521 - Ooooh, look at the likkle babby!

Started by DavidXBrunt, 22 January, 2007, 05:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidXBrunt

Well, whatever I expected from the cover this week, that wasn't it. Bery strange. Like it.

Dredd - A slight story but well told.

Stickleback - Hots up and confirms suspicions simultaneously. Pretty.

A.B.C.s - Laaaaaara is very attractive until that panel with the stumpy dwarf legs. Dressing her as Ms Croft? Whos idea was that?

Kingdom - looks like we're getting somewhere at last.

Low Life - I haven't got a clue what's going on but in a good way. Simon Colebys art has really come on since last year, everythings easier to distinguish but still as distinctive. Hooray.

IndigoPrime

Nice to see Vince Locke doing the art on Dredd, too.

Trout

Sadly, Indigo, I agree in principle, but I'm really disappointed with the result.
I liked History of Violence but I don't think Locke's right for Dredd.

There's some pretty poor panels there, in execution and design. In the scene in the toilet, how can Dredd look in the bin but not at the perp? I have to doubt that's what Wagner's script intended.

Sorry to start on a negative. Overall, this is another damn fine prog.
I still miss Origins a lot, but I liked the Dredd. The "sexmeks" and the twist are nice ideas.

Stickleback's still fantastic. Every comic should have a B&W story set in Victorian times!

I love Lara. We demand a personal appearance at the next Dreddcon!
ABC Warriors is addictive stuff, although I did get a little uncomfortable as I read her stilted dialogue. But that's Pat. It's a small price to pay for a beautiful, exciting story.

I'd echo David on Kingdom. Plot moves ahead! Hooray! But I still like it. The art works really well and I want to see where it's going.

As for Lowlife, it has some great ideas and many wonderful lines, yet again.
"Dirty Frank loves all babies. Except for the Nazi ones."
Who can argue with that?

Finally, the cover is wonderful. It is officially the first part of a comic book my Rose has enjoyed. She's 10 months now, and smiling a lot.

When she saw Coleby's crazy baby, she grinned and said, "BAH!"

Which is a good thing.

- Trout

paulvonscott

"ABC Warriors is addictive stuff, although I did get a little uncomfortable as I read her stilted dialogue."

In story English not Lara's first language, it supposed to be stilted. Lara lovely girl!

More thrills from the ABC's... Zippo seems like a decent sort doing dirty work.  Am looking forward to Smushing Time... hurrrgh!

Dredd, yup another fun one off.  I really liked Vince Locke's art for this, good to see him in the prog. I assumed that Dredd saw the perp but chose to ignore him and was playing it cool, but you've made me wonder.  

Stickleback, very good, but feel there could be more questions and intrigue and... stuff happening.  Basically it's not as challenging as I'd hope.

Kingdom, still surprisingly enjoyable, but then I do like my post apocalyptic wastelands filled with monsters.

Trout

Hmmm. I did notice Lara was a little bit furrin. I really meant the way she told her life story, unprompted, in disjointed statements, but maybe the furriness made me judge her a bit too harshly.

Either way, it fantastic stuff. I'm happy.

And more Savage to come! Yippee!

- Trout

GermanAndy

Cover - definitly strange :-)

Dredd: nice twist. Some funny dialoge. I am torn about art, though. It´s okay, but not in the wow-range.

Stickleback: Edginton is consistenly good these last years. Leviathan, Red Seas, now this. And the art is brill too. Love this.

ABC: Nice Lara :-) I mean, the joke is as broad as the proviabel barn, but I have to confess it gave me chuckle.

Kingdom: the plot thickens. Hm. Could be good or could be lame. But I am at least curious. Which is a good thing for an Abnett tale, who is very hit or miss for me.

LowLife: I am in the camp who thought the last LL rather poor. And the idea Dirty Frank+Baby is sooo Hollywood. And not in a good way. But how can you not love a story where the hero says: "Dirty Frank loves all Babies. Except for the nazi ones." Regardless how this will end - the baby is shrunken Aimee, or? -, this is a winner alone for part 1 :-)

GermanAndy

Cover - definitly strange :-)

Dredd: nice twist. Some funny dialoge. I am torn about art, though. It´s okay, but not in the wow-range.

Stickleback: Edginton is consistenly good these last years. Leviathan, Red Seas, now this. And the art is brill too. Love this.

ABC: Nice Lara :-) I mean, the joke is as broad as the proviabel barn, but I have to confess it gave me chuckle.

Kingdom: the plot thickens. Hm. Could be good or could be lame. But I am at least curious. Which is a good thing for an Abnett tale, who is very hit or miss for me.

LowLife: I am in the camp who thought the last LL rather poor. And the idea Dirty Frank+Baby is sooo Hollywood. And not in a good way. But how can you not love a story where the hero says: "Dirty Frank loves all Babies. Except for the nazi ones." Regardless how this will end - the baby is shrunken Aimee, or? -, this is a winner alone for part 1 :-)

GermanAndy

upps sorry for the double post.
I HATE the new version of IE. Just hate it.

I, Cosh

Dredd has a decent enough idea, which is padded out far beyond what it can support. Tharg announces that this is the first time Vince Locke's worked for 2000AD: on this evidence, let's hope it's the last.

Stickleback's brilliance is becoming almost boring! The last page, in particular, is incredible.

ABC Warriors has been great so far, but this whole Lara Croft business is a bit much.

On finishing Kingdom, I had to ask myself if I'd just read a whole episode. Still, it looks like somebody's going to be along next week to explain everything.

Low Life is top class. This is a real return to form after the dire Con Artist. Some laugh out loud lines from the babies and Mr Coleby appears to have made an effort to respond to the "knife drawer" comments about the way he draws faces.
We never really die.

CraveNoir

I'm with The Cosh on this Dredd.

Talk about a throw away Dredd. Nice idea. That's it.
Does Tharg still approve artists' thumbnails?
There are several bad decisions on every page. A flimsy script should be an opportunity to be creative visually. Generic this. Generic that. And Grud forbid you should be able to understand what's happening in a panel without comparing it to the others around it to work out the story.

I'm reminded of the storytelling skills of David Millgate and Nick Percival.

The sprinkler sequence says it all: Weak.

And another thing...!
The revamped potato print Dredd logo is a poor imitation of the classic logo. Yes,I know you had to buy a new ruler and everything, but I think Rufus (all hail, long may he draw etc.), demonstrated last Prog that it's perfectly acceptable, at least when paired with strong art.

Also...
I like the letting on ABC Warriors. Loaves are vastly more attractive than ovals. Simon Bowland, you sir are reasonably decent. You may quote me.

Hi, my name's Lara. I've just had a bath!

More Coleby. More Low Life. Good.

Best babe with a gun cover ever.

Funt Solo

Shite day at work - excellent prog to take my mind off it when I got home.

Thanks very much, Tharg & droids!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Leigh S

*averts eyes*  

NO DROKKING PROG!!!!

WoD

Proudhuff

Second everything the talking fish said

Lay-zeeHuff
DDT did a job on me

Pete Wells

Second fantastic Coleby cover in a row! I've always rated him but lately his work has blown me away!

Dredd - Hmmmm. I love A History of Violence but Vince's shakey art turned me off this story. Dredd on the Lawmaster on page 3 is laughable and it looks like the artist had the shakes on some other pages. Quite liked the story but wonder about the timing of it with the events leading up to Christmas...

Stickleback - D'Israeli's work is amazing. There's something jaw dropping on every page. He's just a bloddy show off!

ABC's - Not much to add, I just hope it doesn't get too silly. Zippo for seventh warrior!

Kingdom - I'm pleased it's moving on, I was starting to lose interest a bit but it's got me again!

Low Life - Really enjoyed both the script and the art. "Dirty Frank's personal Hygiene is not the issue here" was my fave line - class!

Letters - I likes the swearing and the boobies. Demarco's "Resent that, you little shit!" in Doomsday is a favourite moment of mine and just sounds cooler than "You little stomm."