Main Menu

What comics have brought a lump to your throat

Started by Alski, 11 July, 2012, 01:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

"Always was a strong lad." (Skizz)

"Don't you go anywhere." (Calvin & Hobbes)

The final panel of Morrison's Doom Patrol run.

The final panel of Morrison's Animal Man run.

The final panel (page) of Swamp Thing #63.

Cheers

Jim

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

strontium_dog_90

Judge Dredd: Death of a Legend.

No matter how many times I read it, it's like reading it for the first time. That final panel, Dredd's sparse but meaningful words in it . . .just absolutely shattering.

SmallBlueThing

Spider-Man: The Night Gwen Stacy Died. First spidey story i ever read, back when i was seven, and still the most perfect comic story ive ever read. I read it earlier today, and it gets me every time.

Also: all of Charley's War. All of it. I have a personal attachment to the first world war, largely fuelled by my love of this strip, and for me it's just a series of exquisite panels each of which individually 'bring a lump to my throat'.

Also, that page of ASM #500, where peter and aunt may are up the empire state building and she asks him what it's like to go swinging over the city. I remember reading that when it came out and breaking down, very shocked at how deeply i cared about these characters, had done my entire reading life- and still do to this day.

SBT

WhitBloke

Although there are others, some mentioned above and some perhaps waiting in the wings, there's one story that gets me every single time.  Indeed, I return to it every couple of years just to enjoy how fantastically powerful and unexpectedly affecting it is.  Alan Moore and Jesus Redondo's The Time Machine.  Pure comics gold.  [spoiler](Yeah, the Time Twisters tale were the man drowns himself to have the happy memories of his life flash before his eyes.)[/spoiler]  Stinging genius wrapped up in beautiful art, and remains my favourite Alan Moore story - short or otherwise. 
So this is der place then, Johnny?

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

That Peter David Star Trek annual where Scotty falls in love, told backwards.  :'(

Apestrife

100Bullets. Small spoiler, but just to be certain I marked some of it as spoilers. The agent Philip Graves cannot [spoiler]give Curtis Hughes a job as a "warlord" for an outfit-organisation that runs USA because Curtis has a dark skin(the outfit are rasists). But the closet homosexual Joseph Shepherd will get the job.
It hits me everytime when Curtis tells Shepherd:[/spoiler] "At least you can hide what scares them."

I feel real sorry for the guy everytime I read it. :'(

Pete Wells

Being a big Northern lump, I don't think I'd ever cry at a comic so below, in no particular order, are my most shocking or saddening moments. That's the best you're gonna get!

Despite it all, when Dante has to shoot the Rudenshtein Irregulars during the Tsar Wars was the most affecting bit of the entire saga for me. Just horrible. Closely followed by Andreus' death, poor Elena.

The final part of America was a wrench.

In Preacher, Jessie's pitiful begging when Tulip gets shot through the head by Jody(?)

Walking dead, [spoiler]Lori and the Baby's death[/spoiler] and [spoiler]Glenn's pathetic cries[/spoiler] in issue 100. Just awful!

And yeah, the whole of Maus, 'cos that actually happened, amazing!

johnnystress

The 'Valerie' chapter in V for Vendetta..it even works in the film

The Death of Speedy Ortiz..and actually lots of other moments in Love and Rockets too

Richmond Clements

Alski

Ro Busters 'Charlie of Northpool' final ep can probably be added to my list. Great, stirring stuff.

"I SEE A SHIP! I SEE A BIG SHIP"

"YOU'LLNEVER WALK ALONE"

etc etc

sob sob :P
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

Mudcrab

The Boys, when Butcher read the letter from his wife. Basically the whole thing but mostly the last line of it and the subsequent rage. Arsom page.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Alski

Quote from: Mudcrab on 16 July, 2012, 01:26:29 PM
The Boys, when Butcher read the letter from his wife. Basically the whole thing but mostly the last line of it and the subsequent rage. Arsom page.

Aye... Butcher's Story was a superb interlude, very emotional.
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

a chosen rider

A Twitter conversation a few days ago reminded me of reading Raymond Briggs' "When the Wind Blows", if we're counting graphic novels in this.  (Although that's not so much a lump in the throat as devastating emotional trauma.)

Also recently reread "Fading of the Light" and was completely taken off-guard by how much Robert going to the Euthanasium with Bennett Beeny got to me.  Wah. :'(
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

Greg M.

All-Star Superman #10. "Your doctor really did get held up, Regan. It's never as bad as it seems. You're much stronger than you think you are. Trust me." Maybe Grant Morrison's finest hour.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Greg M. on 16 July, 2012, 03:14:47 PM
All-Star Superman #10. "Your doctor really did get held up, Regan. It's never as bad as it seems. You're much stronger than you think you are. Trust me." Maybe Grant Morrison's finest hour.
not so much a lump to my throat as full on weeping! A fine choice.