Main Menu

THIS TIME IT'S WAR - Short story results and prizes

Started by Bad City Blue, 19 September, 2015, 03:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad City Blue

A chronology of apologies, gentle earth creatures...

My time has been taken up with stuff and nonsense, so I haven't been able to give the comp my full attention.

Anyways, I've totted up the scores on the dirty drawers and our worth winner this month is...

ECHIDNA

With his smart Apocalypse War effort, Silo 7

Silo 7

"There are half a billion people in my city, Dredd! You can't just wipe them out!"

The Sov commander was shaking with fear. A bead of sweat drew a slug trail down his temple.

"Half my city is burnt to ash," Dredd replied, "and you're begging me for mercy?" He turned his back on the terrified Sov and crossed the ops room to the missile control panel.

Something felt wrong. For a moment he thought he heard footsteps on either side of him. The fluorescent lights flickered, and everything went black.

Dredd opened his eyes. He was in a bare room, tied to a chair. The chair was screwed to the floor, but the bolts were loose. With enough force, he might be able to -

"Don't waste your time," said a voice, and Dredd looked up to see a young man and a woman, wearing trenchcoats and sunglasses. Indoors.

"You're not Sovs," said Dredd. "You sure as hell aren't Justice Department. Whoever you are, I'm not talking."

The woman pulled back a sleeve, revealing a wristband studded with brightly-coloured buttons. She pressed one of them and smiled. "This isn't an interrogation, Dredd. It's an intervention. You're about to launch a nuclear strike that will obliterate East-Meg One and kill 500 million people."

Dredd looked at her. "And?"

The young man kicked him square in the chest. "You're going to murder half a billion human beings, you monster!"

Dredd grimaced. "We're at war. The Sovs are slaughtering us. The response is appropriate."

"They're civilians, not soldiers! 500 million men, women and children, and you're killing them for revenge!"

"This isn't about revenge, it's about ending a war. It's about crippling the Sov army and protecting my city."

The man made a fist, but the woman held him back. "Your actions won't protect anyone, Dredd. The Sovs will retaliate."

"Of course they will. But it'll take them years to recover. We'll be ready."

"No. You'll never see it coming. They'll kill millions more. And after that things only get worse."

"You're talking about this like it's already happened."

"It has. For us, eighty years have passed since the Apocalypse War."

"Time travellers. Great," Dredd muttered. "So you've come back to kill me?"

"No," said the woman. "We're giving you a choice. You can press that button and condemn the human race to decades of bloodshed, or..." She trailed off, looking at Dredd's impassive expression. "Please, Dredd. At least think about it."

The lights flickered. Dredd was standing at the control panel, finger poised over the launch button. To the Judges and Sov technicians, perhaps it looked like Dredd paused for the briefest moment at the controls. Perhaps they dismissed it as a trick of the bunker's failing lights. If he had paused, it was surely for dramatic effect. Anyway, they agreed (if they spoke of it at all in the days that followed), when the time came to press the button, he didn't hesitate. Not even for a second.

"Request denied."
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Bad City Blue

Second place was ZIPPOCREED

ECHIDNA gets a 2000AD Graphic Novel for his effort (PM me details)

So does WOOLY for being the randomly drawn voter (PM me details)

So that is it for this comp, how about you spuggers throw a few ideas for the next one?>

Cheers

BCB
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Echidna

Crumbs! Thanks to everyone who voted for mine (although personally I think ZippoCreed was robbed - any impact my story has is basically due to the source material).

My suggestion for next time is...

1600 AD:

Reinterpret a story from the galaxy's greatest comic in the style of Shakespeare (a la Bard Fiction),
or,
Transplant the plot and/or characters of a Shakespeare play (or, if you're an uncultured oaf like me, Westside
Story
or Forbidden Planet) to one of the many worlds of 2000 AD.

Jacqusie

Well done ECHIDNA & to all the scribes that entered...

great theme for next time too... now where did I put my quill...

The Legendary Shark

Congrats, Echidna - a worthy winner among some worthy competition.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Echidna

Thanks guys, and thanks again to Bad City Blue and the Mighty One for my lovely Zombo volume 2 :)

Heath C Ackley

Well done Echidna. Your theme for this month is in the words of The Mondays twisting my melons man!
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

Echidna

Yeah, I'm starting to feel like I've bitten off more than I can chew - this iambic pentameter lark is harder than it looks...

Woolly

Somehow missed this thread - I won a GN?!? PM incoming sir, along with many thanks  :)

Thinking cap at the ready for the next one...