Main Menu

John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra have this coming our way

Started by Colin YNWA, 31 December, 2017, 05:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

News over on that there Facedabook.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2013810272224899&id=1943326612606599

Possibly for the Meg, but not commissioned yet. Fingers crossed.

Dig those fantastic Carlos Retro Stylings! (John and Carlos have both posted a little about this but selected this post as has all the pictures together.

sheridan

Looks very reminiscent of early Strontium Dog (Starlord days) to me...

Jim_Campbell

Pretty sure this is (very) old art from a private eye/SF noir strip that never happened. I'm certain I've seen it before — maybe for the dummy of the aborted pre-Meg Judge Dredd solo title?

John said on FB that he's revising/updating the proposal with a view to pitching it for the Meg.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Steve Green

sheridan

Quote from: Steve Green on 01 January, 2018, 10:51:00 AM
Yeah, it was called Sam Street originally.
Never heard of it before, though this thread reveals a little about it - it does indeed date from around the Starlord era - don't know if any of it made it into the first TPO book (I haven't read it cover-to-cover, I just dip in every now and then).

Magnetica

Quote from: sheridan on 01 January, 2018, 04:59:59 AM
Looks very reminiscent of early Strontium Dog (Starlord days) to me...

Exactly my thoughts when I saw it.

And no I don't think TPO mentions Sam Street. I don't remember it anyway. ( I have the updated one).

JOE SOAP

DrRocka

How old's that sample page, Joe? Saw this on the Facebook and got hugely excited - exactly my favourite kind of Carlos art!
Never ever bloody anything ever

JOE SOAP

I presume 1977/1978 as it makes sense that a character called Sam Street was pitched to 2000AD before Sam Slade.

mightybren

"I work in the future"

That line made me laugh  :lol: Looks brilliant though! It'd be great to see something new from these two legends :)

JayzusB.Christ

Never saw that before.  Obviously Carlos remains utterly awesome but I kind of miss that grainy, pen-and-wash stuff he used to do.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Fungus

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 01 January, 2018, 11:37:30 PM

I presume 1977/1978 as it makes sense that a character called Sam Street was pitched to 2000AD before Sam Slade.

Looks more '80/'81, which sounds nitpicky but there's an evolution from the earliest progs (and Starlord) to that particular page. Have to agree, Carlos at his best right at this point...

Dash Decent

Some of those panels make him look more like he should be called Sam Stix.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.