Main Menu

What Songs are inspired by Dredd/2000ad?

Started by metalmarc, 14 September, 2012, 10:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalmarc

hey noob here

Can you tell me some songs inspired by dredd or 2000ad in general, not including soundtracks of either movie

So Far i know of

Anthrax - I am the Law (which i have known about since the late 90's being a metal fan since then)
Manic St Preachers - Judge Yrself

and just via wikipedia.org  (not the one on here i dont have access) i found only by going thru the wiki page
of Judge Death, that thrash band Dark Angel borught out a song called Darkness Descends which is about the dark judges!

So are there any others ive missed out? Thanks for your time

Dandontdare

"Mutants in Mega City One"  By the Fink Brothers, on Zarjazz Records (basically Suggs and another member of Madness) 1985

Youtube it.

Greg M.

maryanddavid

Hanging out with Halo Jones, Transvision Vamp

I remember Pop Will Eat Itself referencing Moore and DC, its in the back of my head that they refed 2000ad as well, but that could be just in my head.

David

Gavin_Leahy_Block

P.C.P. by the Manic Street Preachers has the line:

Ten foot sign in Oxford Street, Be pure - be vigilant - behave

JayzusB.Christ

'Dredd Song' by The Cure  - sadly it was on the Stallone Dredd soundtrack.  They weren't to know.

There was also a piss-awful band called 'Halo James', whose lead singer I seem to recall describing Halo Jones as 'this guy who goes round blowing aliens away' or some ill-informed shite.

EDIT:  I've just listened to Mutants in Mega City 1 for the first time ever, even though I remember Tharg's massive recommendations at the time.  It's not bad at all, is it?  80s fun in a kind of Ghostbusters way
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Jim_Campbell

Drokk Around The Clock
Jailhouse Drokk
Drokkin' All Over The World

I can do this all night.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dandontdare

JOE SOAP

SmallBlueThing

Thanks CraveNoir, reading through this thread idve torn my hair out if it had gone on any longer without mentioning Shriekback.

"Big black Nemesis, parthenogenesis, no one move a muscle til the dead come home"

My favourite of them all- certainly more so than that bloody Anthrax thing, which hangs around the comic's neck like a dead albatross.

SBT

Jim_Campbell

Shriekback's 'Oil & Gold' is wonderful album. 'Nemesis' is great, but the (2000AD unrelated) 'Hammerheads' is even better. Who couldn't love a song with the lyric: "This is our mission/ To be the Daleks of God"?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

SuperSurfer

Ah Shriekback memories. I was nuts about them. Saw them live quite a few times. I've had the impression for years that their music didn't travel well through the decades but should give them another chance.

I remember waiting at a bus stop next to a giant 'Mutants of Mega-City 1' poster. That kind of thing would probably give me more of a thrillpower surge now that it did then.

Few days ago I saw a Phil Oakey vid on tv and he was wearing a Dark Judges T-shirt.

Dandontdare

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 15 September, 2012, 01:36:03 AM
I remember waiting at a bus stop next to a giant 'Mutants of Mega-City 1' poster. That kind of thing would probably give me more of a thrillpower surge now that it did then.

my mate's mum worked for Virgin records back then and I got one of the huge 6' Bolland posters  promoting that record. Had it on many walls for years, wish i still had it.

judda fett

im on my knobbing phone so cant add a link but ive just done a whole dredd referencing track the link to which is in the creative common. go there and look for the free dredd hip hop track thread.