Main Menu

Star Wars Episode IX

Started by JOE SOAP, 10 July, 2018, 01:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SIP

That should be the tagline on the movie poster:

Star wars : The Last Jedi "A very odd choice".

:D

Hawkmumbler

Well I loved The Last Jedi, controversial I know.

Hopefully Episode 9 can continue the trend.

TordelBack

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 17 August, 2018, 12:00:43 PM

And if it works for the quality-conscious unpronouncable Japanese robot-suit crowd,  you know it's good!  ;)

SIP

Hopefully Episode 9 can continue the trend.

I don't think it's "controversial" to like it.....lots of people do.....you're safe I think.

Well, as long as you stay off all social media platforms and YouTube......its juat best all arpund not to tell "them"  ;)

SIP

Apologies for the inexplicable typos.....my phone is always very keen to swap real words for complete nonsense. That's my excuse anyway.

broodblik

Quote from: SIP on 17 August, 2018, 01:16:42 PM
Apologies for the inexplicable typos.....my phone is always very keen to swap real words for complete nonsense. That's my excuse anyway.

Don't worry your post was better constructed than the script for The Last Jedi  :D
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

Quote from: broodblik on 17 August, 2018, 02:34:36 PM
Don't worry your post was better constructed than the script for The Last Jedi  :D

:lol:

auxlen

Will not be going to see. I didn't go to see Solo because 8 was sooo boring and directionless ( i still don't understand how rebels can jump ship for a side quest) but 9 can get tae fook! I'm OK with a lot of the new crap but Poppins and Holdo and Rian Johnson...nope.

I understand that they are trying to garner the next gen of fans but its too soon to alienate the old guard
At least DR who took a few seasons to utterly alienate the old guard (IMHO)....

All my opinion...I'm not spitting the dummy out etc...just moved on....Nu SW is not meant for me...

TordelBack

Well, comment-thread opinions are in on the Resistance trailer, and. Dear. God. Nooo! It's for KIDS!  What are Disney thinking, SW cartoons for kids.  The monsters

My favourite dismissal: "Dave Filoni is barely involved in this".  Because after all he was fully involved in Clone Wars and Rebels, and those were for adults.  Weren't they?  I mean I'm sure I don't remember anyone giving out about the animation style, childish storylines, bratty characters in those...

Star Wars 'fans', at this point I'm almost done with them.

Tjm86

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 August, 2018, 05:11:37 PM
Quote from: broodblik on 17 August, 2018, 02:34:36 PM

:lol:

Brexit was better constructed than The Last Jedi.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 August, 2018, 12:54:06 PM

And if it works for the quality-conscious unpronouncable Japanese robot-suit crowd,  you know it's good!  ;)
The Last Jedi is just Do You Remember Love with less cool space battles.

Your slight has turned me to the darkside, Tordels!*

*I jest of course.

SIP

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 August, 2018, 07:38:35 PM
Well, comment-thread opinions are in on the Resistance trailer, and. Dear. God. Nooo! It's for KIDS!  What are Disney thinking, SW cartoons for kids.  The monsters

My favourite dismissal: "Dave Filoni is barely involved in this".  Because after all he was fully involved in Clone Wars and Rebels, and those were for adults.  Weren't they?  I mean I'm sure I don't remember anyone giving out about the animation style, childish storylines, bratty characters in those...

Star Wars 'fans', at this point I'm almost done with them.

I do MOSTLY  agree with you TB.....and I think Rebels is almost entirely child focussed....but I would say that large chunks of Clone wars were quite adult in tone and I think Clone wars represented a more mixed age range audience.

The trailer for the new cartoon is definitely not for me. One for the under 10's I think.

Professor Bear

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 August, 2018, 07:38:35 PM
Well, comment-thread opinions are in on the Resistance trailer, and. Dear. God. Nooo!

Has the Freemaker Adventures ever made it to these shores?  I didn't catch much of it, but what I did seemed quite amusing, and acutely aware of Star Wars' more overused themes and tropes.

Like many, I had hopes when Tha Diz dropped the words "anime style" in relation to Resistance it would mean something closer to 2d hand-drawn animation - you know, anime - rather than the cheapo 3d modeled cel-coloured method that originated from European animation studios like Attitude - whose Skyland is a gorgeous show to look at, but a case study in how that means naff all without a coherent narrative voice and consistent dramatic tone ala Avatar or Korra.  The exuberance on display in the SWR trailer seems to suggest a lack of sophistication more than "childishness", as some very childish shows of recent years (Stephen Universe, Gravity Falls, Teen Titans Go!) have shown an unexpected maturity to compliment their ebullience that one might see as a mirror image of the live-action Star Wars' latter turn towards mumblecore bathos.
Mind you it's a fuckin cartoon for babies and we've got Clone Wars back and that'll probably be full of people getting laser knives jammed in their guts - I don't think anyone who wants grimdark in their SW has really got much to complain about.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: SIP on 17 August, 2018, 10:22:49 PM
.....and I think Rebels is almost entirely child focussed....

I really enjoyed Rebels. Yes, the animation style was a little simplistic but it was smart and engaging, and often very well-written. As a grown man who hasn't really given much of a shit about Star Wars for thirty-odd years, Rebels gave me a number of Star Wars geek thrills that I wasn't expecting to feel... from [spoiler]the appearance of Obi Wan[/spoiler] to [spoiler]the presence of Rex and the Clone Wars veterans.[/spoiler] I thought the ratio of duff episodes compared very favourably to Clone Wars.

Just because something doesn't contain material that is inappropriate for children doesn't mean that it's exclusively for children. This is the sort of bollocks that people trot out as an argument against 'all ages' comics.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

SIP

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 17 August, 2018, 11:02:04 PM
Quote from: SIP on 17 August, 2018, 10:22:49 PM
.....and I think Rebels is almost entirely child focussed....

I really enjoyed Rebels. Yes, the animation style was a little simplistic but it was smart and engaging, and often very well-written. As a grown man who hasn't really given much of a shit about Star Wars for thirty-odd years, Rebels gave me a number of Star Wars geek thrills that I wasn't expecting to feel... from [spoiler]the appearance of Obi Wan[/spoiler] to [spoiler]the presence of Rex and the Clone Wars veterans.[/spoiler] I thought the ratio of duff episodes compared very favourably to Clone Wars.

Just because something doesn't contain material that is inappropriate for children doesn't mean that it's exclusively for children. This is the sort of bollocks that people trot out as an argument against 'all ages' comics.

Tha wasnt my point at all......from my view, the stories just played to a younger audience. The series felt like it was aiming at a younger audience than clone wars.  That doesn't bother me at all, I'm happy for all Star Wars to be aimed wherever it's aimed, I just didn't personally enjoy it.