Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

TBH, definitely better than these.

SuperSurfer

Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 July, 2017, 10:03:23 PM
Oh wow, I'd forgotten about those - just googled them - Lyons Maid Cider Barrel and Cider Quench ("the drink on a stick").
Lyons Maid? Pah! They were what DC was to Marvel. Wall's Ice Cream was where it was at.

Anyone remember Count Dracula ice lollies? Would advertise heavily in Marvel UK comics on their luxurious glossy cover paper. The blood red jelly got sickly. I overdosed on these as I was collecting the stencil sticks.

FoxIsntARobot

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling fifty-second episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 173-177 of 2000 AD, covering August and September of 1980. Join us as we clear the decks in advance of a thrill refresh in the second half of September! All thrills must end! (Except Judge Dredd, natch.)

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

WhizzBang

Thanks Conrad - I have just finished listening to this.

I have a Stainless Steel Rat collection published by Rebellion but I can not see it on the 2000AD store so it must be out of print. Amazon have this page: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Harry-Harrison-Stainless-Steel-Paperback/dp/B00RWPR8CE/ref=sr_1_69?ie=UTF8&qid=1501165704&sr=8-69&keywords=Stainless+Steel+Rat .

The 2000AD shop does have a digital edition available though: https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/GRN378

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: WhizzBang on 27 July, 2017, 04:31:14 PM
The 2000AD shop does have a digital edition available though: https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/GRN378

Click on the 'paperback £15.99' icon and it says they have it in limited stock at the moment.  I admit it looks a bit like it's been greyed out as it's unavailable.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

SpaceSpinner2000

Yeah, when I was looking things up for this episode I went on Google and just seemed to find the Eagle comics reprints from 1985, instead of the full collection. I don't know why I didn't think to check the Rebellion store to see if there were more recent collections! I did figure it out and mention it on an upcoming episode, but I'm going to make a special note on the Monday show, because I definitely regret this error, because I think SSR is great and everyone should check it out! :D Thanks for the help folks!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Dandontdare

Another good one guys. I've not read most of my old progs for years, but I've taken to skim-reading along with the podcast, so I'll get to do the 'prog-slog' I've been putting off for ages.

You're right that "hate is my eyes, Judge Dredd, and now you'll be my gun" is a very cool line, but I was sad you missed one of my all-time favourite Dredd lines a few pages earlier; to the ape-goons who try to mug Dredd for the reward money: "You creeps must think I sailed through space on a synthi-biscuit". Classic.

And If you don't mind a Dredd spoiler for something we don't find out for another thirty-something* years,  [spoiler]we learn that one of the very few personal mementoes that Dredd keeps in his appartment is Lopez' badge - to remind him that he was wrong, and that he should have taken the oracle spice. But there is no hint of it now [/spoiler]
*citation needed

Oh, and if Fox is freaked ouit by Riunus Limpopop Quintz, he should come to London to check him out: http://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=39512.msg843388#msg843388

Also, I don't think I ever really appereciated just what a dick Wolfie Smith was. I guess he DID look more like a cool rebel when you're 13!

Colin YNWA

Well I'm about 12 or 13 in on these (onto the first Spinny, what you don't actually expect ME to remember what number that is do you) and have to say lovin' every minute. Its such a delight to here you evidently have such fun with the comic. Its infectious, unlike the self important posturing of other podcasts (well last time I listened to... ) this one remains a delight.

So like what I want to know after the creepin' and all is does anyone claim a spinny... or do I need to keep listening to find out?

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 27 July, 2017, 09:47:23 PM
So like what I want to know after the creepin' and all is does anyone claim a spinny... or do I need to keep listening to find out?

Unfortunately nobody has taken us up on our offer of hand-crafted golden frisbee awards, though I do currently have a bunch of them lying around the house in case one is claimed!

QuoteAnd If you don't mind a Dredd spoiler for something we don't find out for another thirty-something* years

It's tough with stuff from way in the future, because I don't think that was a fact that was actually in Wagner/Grant's heads in 1980, you know? And part of the fun of the show for me is learning about and experiencing this stuff as it happens, without the weight of 30-odd years of the stuff that comes after it, if that makes sense.

Also, I don't think I ever really appereciated just what a dick Wolfie Smith was. I guess he DID look more like a cool rebel when you're 13!

I've tried to make a point of this as we've read Wolfie, especially with this second story. To me it really feels like Wolfie plays very differently to a 10 or 12 year old vs some bitter guys in their 30s like me and Fox. Still, I feel like the big things that even experienced 2000AD fans have learned from our show is that Woflie Smith is a jerk and Dan Dare is VERY quick to destroy planets or wipe out sentient races :D

FoxIsntARobot

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 28 July, 2017, 05:08:20 AM

I've tried to make a point of this as we've read Wolfie, especially with this second story. To me it really feels like Wolfie plays very differently to a 10 or 12 year old vs some bitter guys in their 30s like me and Fox. Still, I feel like the big things that even experienced 2000AD fans have learned from our show is that Woflie Smith is a jerk and Dan Dare is VERY quick to destroy planets or wipe out sentient races :D

Mental Note: Make a compilation of all Dan Dare murder victims.

I miss Battle Action Playset Dan Dare, Conradical :C

Steve Green

It does feel that the space fort should be on the end of a genocidal 10-year old's arm in a hyper-active Kenner commercial.

sheridan

Oh wow, I'd forgotten about those - just googled them - Lyons Maid Cider Barrel and Cider Quench ("the drink on a stick"). And it should be pointed out that in the UK cider isn't apple juice, but the preferred cheap strong alcohol of choice for underage kids, shouty tramps and functioning alcoholics of limited funds. But fine in lollies.

I resent that remark!  And which of those three would the Wurzels it in to (recent official video of a 1970s song).

FoxIsntARobot

Quote from: sheridan on 28 July, 2017, 12:53:46 PM
Oh wow, I'd forgotten about those - just googled them - Lyons Maid Cider Barrel and Cider Quench ("the drink on a stick"). And it should be pointed out that in the UK cider isn't apple juice, but the preferred cheap strong alcohol of choice for underage kids, shouty tramps and functioning alcoholics of limited funds. But fine in lollies.

I resent that remark!  And which of those three would the Wurzels it in to (recent official video of a 1970s song).

What did I just watch? What is this? WHAT IS THIS MADNESS!?

I do kind of want some cider, though.

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: FoxIsntARobot on 28 July, 2017, 01:10:57 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 28 July, 2017, 12:53:46 PM

What did I just watch? What is this? WHAT IS THIS MADNESS!?

I do kind of want some cider, though.

'Ave yersel a care, Sheridan, Wurzles baint fer the eyes o' furriners! Thems ud gives thur wurzels ta thur snobgrobbers an' eats thur manglewurzles themselfs!  Oh ah, thus'd make oi laff!

Anyway, that's nothing like Madness. This is Madness
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.