Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

A few more months of exposure to early 80s British culture, and you will never be able to see any reference to flaps, helmets or knockers without adding "oo-er missus!"  :D Also, a welcome return this week to the wonders of savoury potato based snackage.

Loved the description of the Gila Munja: "they're good at what they do 'cos they're crazy-crap monsters, dude!"

Interesting mention that there's little actual blood in Nemesis' sword battles - that's largely down to censorship. By this point it was almost a running battle between Mills/O'Neill and the IPC management, who insisted on inspecting every page artwork before it went to press - O'Neill would submit pages full of gore, and the assistant art-editors ("bodgers") would be ordered to white-out anything too extreme, especially blood-sprays - look out for suspicious white spaces in otherwise detailed panels, and a classic example where Nemesis plunges his sword up to the hilt in a guy's chest, but they've removed the blade coming out of his back, so it looks like one of those collapsible prop-swords.

Re: Block Mania - McMahon absolutely hated drawing this strip because every other panel was a humungous crowd scene, and it's one of the reasons he drew less and less Dredd from here on.

Looking forward to his artwork in the 82 Dredd annual though. You won't notice this if you're reading digital, but the worst thing about that book was the terrible production quality - as soon as you cracked the spine, the pages just started falling out, whereas my 81 annual is still solid as a rock

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 24 June, 1970, 07:22:58 PM

Sure, but that gets in the way of our "everything is stolen from 2000AD" agenda!

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 06 November, 2017, 01:54:25 PM

The first annual is episode 9, if that helps! Both episodes seem to working on the feed, maybe you just got further along than you though?

Ah, reckon I accidentally pressed play on the wrong file. Much obliged.
SBT

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Dandontdare on 06 November, 2017, 09:02:43 PM
...look out for suspicious white spaces in otherwise detailed panels, and a classic example where Nemesis plunges his sword up to the hilt in a guy's chest, but they've removed the blade coming out of his back, so it looks like one of those collapsible prop-swords.

That was Talbot, by that point - the bit where Nemesis [spoiler]kills Magna at their wedding[/spoiler].
@jamesfeistdraws

Dandontdare

ah yes, so it was - they didn't trust anyone after Kev!.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Fungus on 06 November, 2017, 02:38:46 PM
Someone pointed out here recently that Nemesis does appear at the start. Cover of prog 222  :o A great spot!
(I'm on Space Spinner 25 or something so don't know how the Space Spinner guys treat this)

Ha! Very good point Fungus old chap. I was looking at that cover the other day and admiring the Nemesis Torque figure flanking it and it never occured to me this is probably Nemesis first actual full body appearance.

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 06 November, 2017, 09:50:57 PM
Quote from: Fungus on 06 November, 2017, 02:38:46 PM
Someone pointed out here recently that Nemesis does appear at the start. Cover of prog 222  :o A great spot!
(I'm on Space Spinner 25 or something so don't know how the Space Spinner guys treat this)

Ha! Very good point Fungus old chap. I was looking at that cover the other day and admiring the Nemesis Torque figure flanking it and it never occured to me this is probably Nemesis first actual full body appearance.

Had he not already appeared on the last page of Olric's Great Quest in the Sci-Fi Special?  Not sure what dates the respective progs were released?

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 06 November, 2017, 09:02:43 PM
Interesting mention that there's little actual blood in Nemesis' sword battles - that's largely down to censorship. By this point it was almost a running battle between Mills/O'Neill and the IPC management, who insisted on inspecting every page artwork before it went to press - O'Neill would submit pages full of gore, and the assistant art-editors ("bodgers") would be ordered to white-out anything too extreme, especially blood-sprays - look out for suspicious white spaces in otherwise detailed panels, and a classic example where Nemesis plunges his sword up to the hilt in a guy's chest, but they've removed the blade coming out of his back, so it looks like one of those collapsible prop-swords.

Co-incidentally one of Kev's first jobs on the prog.

QuoteRe: Block Mania - McMahon absolutely hated drawing this strip because every other panel was a humungous crowd scene, and it's one of the reasons he drew less and less Dredd from here on.

That's an understatement - I've a feeling he didn't draw Dredd again until Howler, decades later (Titan covers and a page of Tharg's Head Revisited notwithstanding).

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: sheridan on 08 November, 2017, 12:38:54 PM
Had he not already appeared on the last page of Olric's Great Quest in the Sci-Fi Special?  Not sure what dates the respective progs were released?

From what I can tell the Nemesis premiere in 222 (with the border picture) are sort of contemporanious? 222 is late July, and the Sci Fi Special is listed as coming out in June, but it's not clear when the actual release date is to me. Tharg was definitely hyping up the Sci-Fi special as just coming out as Nemesis arrived in the progs.
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling seventy-first  episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest comic with the 1982 Judge Dredd Annual (Annuals are dated by the following year). It's the second Dredd Annual, and I think it stands up to the first one. Join us as we meet the fattys, fight space vampires, and take part in a mini-block rumble! We'll also revisit some classic Dredd stories and hang out with our buddies Max Normal and Walter the Wobot. Finally these annuals are pretty good!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling seventy-second episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 237-240  of 2000 AD, covering November of 1981. Join us as Nemesis the Warlock and Torquemada have a zombie showdown, Rogue Trooper goes topside, Ace Trucking goes down a black hole, Mean Arena goes to Edinburgh, and Mega-City One goes to hell as Block Mania reaches a fever pitch!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling seventy-third episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with the 1982 2000 AD Annual (Annuals are dated by the following year). We've been pretty tough on annuals over the years, and this one has some pretty rough sections, but this one is improved greatly by the replacement of legacy comics with awesome classic 2000AD thrills. Besides some interesting new stories, it's a cool chance to hang out with our old friends from Flesh and MACH One!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

Eamonn Clarke

Episode 73: the 1982 annual, Old One Eye, MACH 1, Bolland in colour, and Kim Wilde with Kids in America. The hits just keep on coming!

Great stuff, guys.

WhizzBang

Yes, great work.

I am expecting a big reaction from Fox on the turn of events in Block Mania that should be coming up on Monday

These must have been exciting times for readers at the time. They were probably still poring over Judge Death Lives and trying to draw the dark judges themselves while Block Mania and the Apocolypse War pushed the stakes up even higher.

I am pretty sure the next two 2000ad annuals are worth your time.

shaolin_monkey

'...those leather clad Corinthians..'  Brilliant!!!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was laughing all the way to work!!!

shaolin_monkey

Dudes - the Daily Dredds - 'not missing much'...!?!  :o

You DEFINITELY need to get your hands on a copy of volume one and review it!