Main Menu

so overrated?

Started by 2000AD Online, 19 November, 2002, 04:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oddboy

Watchmen was another one I read for the first time this year.  It's pretty good but I don't know what the fuss was about... I guess it had a bigger Woo! factor when it came out.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Mudcrab

"watchmen (another very overrated book by the by)"

OUCH! That's complete sacrilege you realise!

But I know what you mean. It's more a classic from a literary point of view, if you can disconnect that from 'story'. As it was one of the comics that raised mainstream comics above kiddie status in the 80's, it's deservedly viewed as an all time classic. But then it's down to personal opinion really. It's not the most exciting thing I've read, but I certainly wouldn't say it was over-rated.

NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Quirkafleeg

Hmmm Watchmen/Halo overrated? Samurai, you have no taste...

There are two shelves of graphic novels in my local library... unfortunatly 90% is Buffy/Star Wars/DC shite. So someone else with no taste...

2000AD Online

sigh as i said i enjoyed halo and watchmen my point is they are overated people are making a big deal about the storys trust me i love those two above but nothing will ever beat in my mind anyway zenith and strontium dog in my mind those two are classics

DavidXBrunt

Not a tale, but I never saw why Bisley was all that. He's no Ron Smith, is he?

Tu-plang

Ron Smith's no Ron Smith.

Halo made me cry.  Twice.

Oddboy

Better set your phaser to stun.

2000AD Online

Adrian Bamforth

I think both Watchmen and Halo easily live up to their hype, though I'd say they hold extra affection for us because of when they came out. If you look at Top Ten it's possibly as well written as Watchmen and has even more ingenious ideas going on in it than Halo Jones though it's just another title these days.

ADE

Trout

So far, your mighty ruler has been tolerant of your apparently mistaken impression that freedom of speech exists in his kingdom.

However, the Trout must warn some of you most severely -

Dissing Halo is wrong!

Criticising Watchmen is heinous!

Failing to praise the great Alan Moore is a crime punishable by death!

You pack of weirdoes.

- Trout

Wood

Overrated:

about 90% of all Judge Dredd stories.

anything Pat Mills ever wrote.

Matt Timson

Blimey!  Poor old Pat Mills...

It's hard to diss an artist that can tell a story well, but I've never been Ron Smith's greatest fan.  All his characters seem to have wet, bubbery lips and bunny teeth.  Also, as I believe I may have mentioned before, his version of the old mark 1 Lawgiver looked like something knocked up by Simon Groome on Blue Peter.

The Watchmen was groundbreaking in it's day and is still a good read now.  Never enjoyed the pirate thing it had going on in the background though...

Halo Jones was great- but would be better if a reall GOOD colourist got hold of it.  There's a hint going on there...
Pffft...

Bolt-01

Halo only picked up in book 2, when Alan decided to reduce the level of jargon in the series. Book 3 is a complete masterpiece, even now the stories around the war are powerful.

Top Ten IS as well written as Watchmen, and just as beatiful to look at, yet Watchmen was a landmark when it came out, as was Ronin by Frank Miller.

Thats my ten pence

Dave6795.

2000AD Online

Colonel, any idea what the daily fine is for an overdue book at Wood green? I've got Lobo: the Last Czarnian and the 64 Page Giant America's Best Comics due back in just over half an hour and I really can't be arsed to head back into town.

Besides, it's dark and that's when the monsters come out.

APESOD

About the library thing, I remember getting Graphic novels out of my local library when I was about 12 or 13 and that was ages ago (bout 7 years actually). The cursed earth was in the kiddies section and stuff like mechanismo was in the adult section, the staff didn't seem to mind who got out what though...