Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

The Shootist. Sublime.

That is all.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 21 November, 2019, 07:13:26 PM

Inception. How can a film so chock-full of good actors, nice effects and cool ideas be such a boring old load of arse?

I adore Inception. Fantastic film with action and a heart.

Rately

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 22 November, 2019, 08:03:18 AM

Inception. How can a film so chock-full of good actors, nice effects and cool ideas be such a boring old load of arse?

Love Inception.

One of my favourite soundtracks from Hans Zimmer, and a great story that is brilliantly shot and performed. Just bubbles below The Prestige as my favourite Nolan movie.

Tiplodocus

So I just went back and watched Terminator: Genisys on Netflix and it was much, much worse than I remembered. The gun stops after the first 40 minutes (when the Back To The Future style shenanigans end).

Thereafter it's a retty tedious run of the mill action flick. None of the setpieces are particularly imaginitive, well realiaed or memorable and only the odd flash of charisma from the stars (no, not Jai Courtney, the other two)  shining through.

Is there a theme in there? Possibly "You become what you set out to destroy and that shits over any good you previously did" but that actually feels like a metatext in this case.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Rately on 22 November, 2019, 08:49:55 AM

Love Inception.

One of my favourite soundtracks from Hans Zimmer, and a great story that is brilliantly shot and performed. Just bubbles below The Prestige as my favourite Nolan movie.

Yeah was actually having a Nolan chat with a friend yesterday where we were doing some personal rankings of his films and while we both had different ideas about where everything else in his filmography sat we both put The Prestige and Inception at 1 and 2 and agreed there's not much between them for it. Both masterpieces in my mind, and so absorbing to be hugely rewatchable.

broodblik

Nolan is my favorite modern director. He made my all time favorite superhero movie and the awesome Memento
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

Frozen 2. It says something about the elusive nature of art that the entire might of the Disney hegemony couldn't rustle up a few decent songs in 5 long years.  While not entirely devoid of interest (Olaf is consistently funny, there are some visually strong Elemental scenes and the conclusion is pretty satisfying), it's a fairly shocking mess of a film all the same. Miring itself in flashback within flashback and lengthy VO exposition from the very start, before moving on to deathly dull domestic scenes and then a series of vague and ever-shifting goals (magical lands beyond magical lands beyond magical lands) it struggles to get going for about half its runtime. Even when it finally finds its feet it keeps pausing to insert snippets of songs, dialogue and designs from the original, only serving to remind you how much tighter and more cohesive Frozen was than this hodge-podge of underdeveloped characters and weak tunes

Perhaps most disappointing of all it dispenses with the intricate costumes and early-modern architecture in favour of sticking Elsa in a generic Grade 1 Dance Recital leotard and setting much of the action in a noble-savage version of a Suomi reindeer herder camp.

Not enough trolls, no Alan Tudyk, inexplicable geography, dull songs, snails-pace opening act and a generally overcomplicated plot. Anna and Elsa's relationship is still a good focus, as is the Christof and Sven double act. On balance, a full-on Olaf movie would have worked better - certainly the only time the kids in our cinema shut up was when he was on the screen.

Professor Bear

I have a theory the creators of the original Frozen blew their wad of story notes and tunes on the Galavant tv show, which managed some great tunes across its short run - including two damnably catchy season themes - and covered plot ground that would have slotted nicely into a Frozen sequel.

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 November, 2019, 01:30:15 PM

Frozen 2 ... a fairly shocking mess of a film ... Miring itself in flashback within flashback ... and then a series of vague and ever-shifting goals (magical lands beyond magical lands beyond magical lands)

Christmas Inception.  Or Frozen: reloaded

JOE SOAP

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 23 November, 2019, 02:48:29 PM
Refrigerated

Honk! Matrix: refrigerated is a much better gag. This must be how it works in the writers' room of Big Bang Theory.

TordelBack

Quote from: Frank on 23 November, 2019, 03:20:14 PM
This must be how it works in the writers' room of Big Bang Theory.

Only if the guy that writes the autism and speech impediment gags is out that day.

Tiplodocus

So I may have written about the Richard Curtis TomTom ABOUT TIME before but I've just gone into a cupboard and clenched my fists and gone back in time to fix it.

Richard Curtis is really easy to dislike; his characters live in a fantasy version of Britain that I don't recognise; he seems to only have about four supporting character types which he just recycles in every film and he often doesn't actually know how love works as opposed to the stuff he often serves up.

But sometimes, like here, despite nearly all of the above sins being present, a genuine sincerity runs through it and his characters grow and you end up with something that almost brings a tear of satisfaction to your glass eye as the final message lands.

Bill Nighy plays a bearable version of Bill Nighy, Tom Hollander does his usual sweary routine (to be fair, he still makes me laugh) but Domnhall Gleeson unexpectedly works well as romantic lead who starts off doing things for selfish reasons but grows and learns as the obvious theme comes to the fore (and overpowers my objections about the mechanics of TIME travel presented here).

So, for context, I've had a lovely family based couple of days and am slightly pissed so your mileage may vary.

Oh and we also have Rachel McAdams and an early appearance by Margot Robbie so that might make you want to go into a darkened room and clench at least one of your fists.

radiator

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 22 November, 2019, 10:15:15 AM
Quote from: Rately on 22 November, 2019, 08:49:55 AM

Love Inception.

Yeah was actually having a Nolan chat with a friend yesterday where we were doing some personal rankings of his films and while we both had different ideas about where everything else in his filmography sat we both put The Prestige and Inception at 1 and 2 and agreed there's not much between them for it. Both masterpieces in my mind, and so absorbing to be hugely rewatchable.

I like Nolan's films, but something about the way they are edited breaks my brain. They often feel like feature length trailers, if that makes any sense? Like, you quite often never get any kind of sense of how much time is passing.

I'd say Dunkirk and Memento are the exception because of how they are structured.

Tiplodocus

I like to support independent cinema and I like World War II films. So imagine my surprise when MIDWAY turns out to be one of the most expensive independent movies ever.

It rocks and sucks at the same time. The context and manoeuvring leading to the titular battle are well played out. Mrs Tips managed to follow it all nicely and she knows nothing of the real historical set up describing it as a gigantic game of cat and mouse.

The main engagement look spectacular as you'd expect from Emmerich with plenty of liberties taken with historical accuracy for the sake of cinematics. (From what I recall, fleets don't sail that close together and Japanese AA fire was lacklustre compared to others).

So what sucks? Pretty much everything else. The screenplay ad dialogue would have stretched the patience of cinemagoers in the forties who might have seen this as a propaganda piece. The parts for women are as pointless as a detour to cover the Doolittle Raid. The dialogue is delivered in about the least naturalistic style you can imagine.

So pretty much what you'd expect going in. And as such, quite enjoyable.