Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dweezil2

Acts Of Vengeance on Netflix.

The kind of mildly diverting action, revenge flick that would of starred Jean-Claude Van Damme or Dolph Lundgren back in the 80's, but instead here has Antonio Banderas avenging the murder of his wife and child.

Some fairly well staged and choreographed fight scenes and a bulked up Karl Urban who gets to utter the line "creeps" being the few things to recommend it.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

The Legendary Shark

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Wow. Absolute gem of a film. Frances McDormand, Sam Rockwell and Woody Harrelson knock it out of the park. I haven't been as impressed with a screenplay treating such dark material so very lightly, and with so much easy, natural humour since Fargo.

Highly recommended!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 14 February, 2018, 08:28:44 PM
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Wow. Absolute gem of a film. Frances McDormand, Sam Rockwell and Woody Harrelson knock it out of the park. I haven't been as impressed with a screenplay treating such dark material so very lightly, and with so much easy, natural humour since Fargo.

Highly recommended!

It's a deft fillum, all right. As I recall, the only time it comes close to condoning anyone's actions is [spoiler]Mildred's firebombing the cop shop[/spoiler].
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

radiator

Sing.

Was hopeful for this thanks to the involvement of Garth Jennings, who I like a lot. Unfortunately, the offbeat sensibilities and boundless visual imagination present in his classic music video output are almost entirely absent in Sing, which is about as broad and bland an animated feature as you could imagine. The soundtrack is largely on the nose with very few surprising choices - and anything remotely interesting gets cut off within a few seconds in maddening ADHD fashion, and sad to say the humour is incredibly weak, and I can't imagine anything in it amusing anyone over the age of 8.

The Legendary Shark

The Big Lebowski. Gets better every time I watch it, man. It's kinda' like that whole, er, cinema fantasy, er, you know, man, new things come to light and there's lots of ins and lots of outs and, yeah, you dig?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Yeah well thats just, like, your opinion man!

TordelBack

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 19 February, 2018, 08:08:20 AM

And the heroic effort of will it took to stop myself from posting that exact comment is wasted...

The Legendary Shark

Forget it, Tordels. You're out of your element...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

I don't need your f**kin' sympathy, man, I need my f**king johnson!

Keef Monkey

Watched Need For Speed at the weekend, which was probably the most faithful videogame to movie adaptation I've seen based on the couple of NFS games I've played through.

It's hardly high art (it's the quintessential greasy hamburger of a movie) but if you want to switch off your brain and just watch someone who has to drive a car really fast for honor, love and justice then it's actually surprisingly enjoyable trash. It's no Tokyo Drift but makes an alright fist of it.

Tonight I'm going to see Iron Eagle in the cinema, which I haven't seen since renting it about a dozen times as a kid. I'm sure it still holds up great and isn't a load of dated cheese at all.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 February, 2018, 10:59:06 AM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 19 February, 2018, 08:08:20 AM

And the heroic effort of will it took to stop myself from posting that exact comment is wasted...
Give me this one moment Tordels, give me the moment or vwe fuck you UP!

Tiplodocus

Less quotable but I watched the boys remake of TRUE GRIT.  (Inspired in part by having finished Godless). It's beautifully rendered stuff both in cinematography and two keen performances from Rooster (which I'll admit to thinking was a weak link first time round) and Mattie. The sudden ending works well in this one (as opposed to endings i found jarring in Burn After Reading and No Country).

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Jim_Campbell

Coco. Pixar raise the bar again on what you can do with an animated movie. The film is exquisitely, heartbreakingly beautiful to look at — imaginative, stylish, perfectly judged colour choices and lighting. It's gorgeous.

But... oh my god. It's gentle and good humoured and charming at the start, rather than outright funny, but if you don't get to the end without —ahem— something in your eye, you have a heart of stone. I was pretty much a wreck for about the last twenty minutes... not due to cynical sentimentalist tugging on the heartstrings, but because the film stares very directly at real truth and finds beauty in its sadness.

It's remarkable. I have no idea what kids will make of it...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

DaveGYNWA

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 26 February, 2018, 10:27:50 PM

My girls (almost 8, and 9) got it - [spoiler]they've experienced the loss of their 2 maternal great-grandparents in the last couple of years, and they realised what it was all about around that 20 minute from the end mark. [/spoiler] As for my wife....she was in bits for ages after it ended.

The film is gorgeous indeed - the scene where Miguel plays the guitar in the town towards the start of the film had me flummoxed because it looked so real. The animation in this just went to a whole other level.
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: DaveGYNWA on 26 February, 2018, 11:58:39 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 26 February, 2018, 10:27:50 PM

My girls (almost 8, and 9) got it ...

Yeah my 8 year old loved and and saw it with Mum and then insisted that me and the boy (6) went to see it too. We did and everyone loves it. Both as a visual treat, a funny film bit most as a film with such a human heart.