Main Menu

Speech Bubbles

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 26 June, 2011, 04:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

Speaking as someone who's lettered Peter on more than one occasion- he's done this himself. I think the translucent balloon 'can' work, but it doesn't here.

Personally I'm not a fan of the technique as I think it removes some of the ease of story-telling as the reader will be squinting to see what is behind the text.

CrazyFoxMachine

I personally don't dig it. I don't mind bits of art getting obscured really - and the placement of bubbles here really grinds my balls.

vzzbux

Perhaps if the Speech bubbles and the lettering was better it would work, But I think even if they weren't translucent it still wouldn't work.
We really need Jim to analyse this and give us his expert opinion. because what he doesn't know about lettering just isn't worth knowing.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

briantm

"Warlands: Ice Age" used this lettering technique too.  I can't find any sequentials online, just covers.

I remember being impressed by it when I first saw it, but more so for the idea of it.  It's good that people are trying this stuff, but I think if it was effective it would have become more widespread.

In my opinion, when reading a comic your brain subconsciously fills in the blanks behind the balloons and, as long as the lettering is good, you don't really "see" the lettering.  Much like how you can forget that you are reading subtitles on a film after a while.

When the covered art is semi-visible and blurred you are more conscious of it and I find that I automatically, and again somewhat subconsciously, try to imagine what the uncovered art looks like instead of getting on with reading the comic and appreciating the important unobscured artwork.

Banners

Her boobs swelled up! Who cares about the lettering...!

;-)