Main Menu

SPACEWARP - New Venture from Pat Mills

Started by Bolt-01, 05 April, 2019, 08:55:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: broodblik on 24 July, 2020, 03:52:24 PM
If this is going to work at least this must be running once a month otherwise as you stated we will forget about it

I'd be very surprised if the artists could hit a monthly frequency turning out pages for a back-end payment. That's not a criticism — I understand the model (although I think the suggested payout on Pat's site is wildly optimistic) and paying upfront for 70-ish pages of B&W art would be no small chunk of change.

However, you're talking about the artists turning out maybe a couple of pages a week (and Pat's art notes, I believe, can be... extensive) to hit that schedule and that's a pretty big ask with no guaranteed page rate.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

broodblik

Yes I agree the reality of things are completely different from my expectations.  Hopefully this can be more frequent than just once a year or every 6 months.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

MenschMaschine

Creator's rights is the sort of ( civilized ) debate I do enjoy to be part of and I believe there's a strong case to be made in favour of a more creator-friendly industry. The endless cases of harassment ( as demonstrated by that excellent The Daily Beast exposé ) are intrinsically linked to a rotten to the core, work-for-hire system that not only empowers that kind of sociopath but also encourages them.

I am more than happy to invest my time into a project whose founding principles are in total alignment with mine. Plus,  I learned more about comics in 10 months working with Pat than from 10 years as a work-for-hire jobber. So love or hate him, the man knows his craft  :thumbsup:

Anyway, here's an opening page for one of the strips. Hope you guys will consider supporting the book. Ian, Gareth, Mike, James, myself and Ade have given our all and I think it shows.

Bolt-01

That's a mighty fine first page there, Mensch.

MenschMaschine

Thank you, Bolt-01! Much appreciated  :)

Link Prime

Is this going to print, or only available digitally?

IndigoPrime

Judging from Comixology, it has that all-important download button, and so I might well try this now. (I didn't hear back from Pat about this. DRM-free is a must for me these days, for anything I don't consider 'throwaway'.)

broodblik

Quote from: Link Prime on 29 July, 2020, 02:00:56 PM

It is only available now digitally with a print release coming soon (I think its is sometime in October but I might be wrong)

broodblik

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 July, 2020, 02:06:18 PM
Judging from Comixology, it has that all-important download button, and so I might well try this now. (I didn't hear back from Pat about this. DRM-free is a must for me these days, for anything I don't consider 'throwaway'.)

It is DRM free on Comixology either pdf or cbz

Link Prime

Quote from: broodblik on 29 July, 2020, 02:19:39 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 29 July, 2020, 02:00:56 PM

It is only available now digitally with a print release coming soon (I think its is sometime in October but I might be wrong)

Cheers BB.

Bolt-01

Purchased, downloaded and devoured-- well, Jurassic Man anyway.

First thoughts - Classic Pat Mills. Lots of 'quoteable' dialogue and 'very' high concept. Really enjoyed it, though my eyes were assaulted by the inconsistent lettering by Mike D. The package feels like Toxic, which for me is a good thing.

On ComiXology this was £7.19, which is rather steep for 68 pages of digital content. I'm going to ration this over the next few days.

Funt Solo

USD: 2000 AD [digital] is 6.21 cpp (cents-per-page). Spacewarp is 13.22 cpp.

(So 2000 AD costs 47% of Spacewarp in US prices.)

Still: I've got to buy the first issue.

Here's the link to buy Spacewarp at Comixology.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

IndigoPrime

Seven quid is some way from the pocket-money pricing Mills originally mooted. That said, 68 pages is summer special level, and mini-IP's Beano was, IIRC, a fiver. So it's not heavily OTT.

Bolt-01

Mensch - are you able to offer any word on frequency? Is Pat waiting to see how issue 01 sells before committing to 02 or is there a plan for the future?