We should have a hard brexit - 23
We should not have a hard Brexit - 53

We should leave the EU - 39
We should stay in the EU - 42

A general election would resolve the Brexit problem - 18
A general election would not resolve the Brexit problem - 64

A 2nd referendum would resolve the Brexit problem - 31
A 2nd referendum would not resolve the Brexit problem - 51

In summary: May should resign, but nobody else would do any better; we should reject May's deal, but all the other options are awful  -  and we still can't even agree on whether we should stay or leave.

The Legendary Shark

We'll stay in the EU - but only if we can be in charge.

Vote for me.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

Brexit really is the gift that keeps on giving, isn't it?  Cameron says that he does not regret calling the referendum in the first place.  May calls off the vote because she'd rather avoid the mother of all humiliations, only to find herself facing the mother of all humiliations.  The pound is at its lowest for 20 months.  Parliament is completely paralysed.  Corbyn has just thrown down the challenge of an emergency debate on the decision of the government to postpone the debate and vote.

The Tories used to throw out the line that if Labour got back into power there would be no money left.  Looks like this time round with the Tories back in power there's going to be no country left.

TordelBack

Could you define being 'in charge' being on the winning side in 95% of votes (plus 3% abstentions) in the EU Council of Ministers, and >75% of all EU Parliament policies and EU Council decisions going the way your representatives voted?  'Cos that's how it has played out for the UK these past 20 years. 

(Probably helps the averages that Farage almsot never showed up)

Professor Bear

Who needs a functioning government anyway?  We haven't had one here in Northern Ireland for ages and the bins still get collected.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tjm86 on 10 December, 2018, 08:58:47 PM
The pound is at its lowest for 20 months.

Some of us get paid in dollars. :-)

Seriously, though — this is the thing that makes me SO angry when some Brexit headbanger accuses me of putting self-interest before my country... 1) I don't give a shit about "my country", but if the human beings that live near to me are in danger of something harmful to them, I'd like to avoid it, and 2) 80%+ of my income is USD, and I have a relatively little personal debt plus a chunk of savings earning effectively nothing. The hardest of hard Brexits would see sterling collapse and interest rates soar, which would be like half a century of Christmasses coming at once, financially.

And I still don't want it to happen. Because i'm not a complete [spoiler]c*nt[/spoiler] ... unlike, say, Jacob Rees-Mogg, who is somehow inexplicably is now the voice of the people.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Theblazeuk

Pound still slightly better than what it was immediately post-referendum, which keeps astonishing me. I thought that nosedive would continue if anything. Instead it just stung me at the first time in a decade I needed to turn my £ into $  :'( :'( :'( :'(

IndigoPrime

The markets keep hoping the UK will change its mind. In the event of hard Brexit, the general prediction is parity or slightly worse than USD. Even with May's deal, we will see years of stagnation.

Proudhuff

Worse of all, Lynda Snell's Christmas play seems to be precoging all of these Brexit shenanigans  :o
DDT did a job on me

sheridan

Quote from: Proudhuff on 11 December, 2018, 12:43:50 PM
Worse of all, Lynda Snell's Christmas play seems to be precoging all of these Brexit shenanigans  :o

Chairs blocking the fire exits, people making arses of themselves in public, yep, sounds right.

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 11 December, 2018, 02:06:45 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 11 December, 2018, 12:43:50 PM

Chairs blocking the fire exits, people making arses of themselves in public, yep, sounds right.

(for those not following the Archers - it's complicated...)

broodblik

And I tough my country was a mess. The problem world-wide is that their is no country that has any strong, solid and good leadership.  :(
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

Double post deleted

TordelBack

If the Tories only had a tenth of Linda's sensitivity and equanimity in the face of a self-authored farce...

Quote from: broodblik on 11 December, 2018, 02:37:49 PM
The problem world-wide is that their is no country that has any strong, solid and good leadership.

Isn't that Anakin's lament to Padme while they're rolling about in the grass with the giant ticks..?

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: broodblik on 11 December, 2018, 02:37:49 PM
The problem world-wide is that their is no country that has any strong, solid and good leadership.  :(

And there never will be while leaders reserve the "right" to impose their views and systems on others.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]