Main Menu

Prog 2137 : Mind how you go...

Started by Darren Stephens, 22 June, 2019, 08:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Stephens

Absolute belter of a prog! Behind the gorgeous Tula Lotay cover lies a selection of thrills unmatched for some time. My personal highlight being Dredd. Loving Staz' art on this. Thistlebone continues to intrigue, as do Scarlet Tarces and Absalom. The Anderson strip was a pleasent surprise. Really enjoyed it. More so than many of her previous runs.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

MumboJimbo

I really didn't get what was going on in Anderson Psi Division. I was fine until the part where [spoiler]Anderson says to Dredd that the gang leader needs 9 years in the psycho-cubes[/spoiler] and then it all became incomprehensible to me. Maybe I need to read the first part of the story.

That notwithstanding, I love the line-up at the moment. The Dredd Samaritan story is great. Who is this script droid who shrouds himself in a nom de plume? He's very good.

Batman's Superior Cousin

I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

MumboJimbo

moly

Stunning cover this weeks and most of the prog was top notch except Anderson the art was all over the place

Richard

The Samaritan continues to be brilliant, and is my favourite story this week.

I loved that cover. I didn't have any problems with the art on the Anderson story, it looks fine to me.

I, Cosh

We never really die.

MumboJimbo

I don't think George Elliot wrote this week's Judge Dredd. She died in 1880.

Geoff

The cover is a fine illustration but not a good image of Judge Anderson.

After Dredd's active participation in the robot judges story arc, he's resumed his default position of recent years.  Dredd seems far more comfortable bandaged-up in a hospital bed lately, rather than sitting on a lawmaster wielding a daystick. I'm sure the virtuous young saviour will help old Joe on his way though..

Scarlett traces has superb art and an interesting, if somewhat confusing story line.  Mainly due to the passage of time between installments. I thought that the security guard was a surprisingly crude cliched cipher for such a talented writer though.

Anderson was a mess in my view, I hope this installment doesn't continue for too long.

Thistlebone...mmmn, hard not to love the art by Simon Davis but I'm not really feeling any of the menace that I got from the preview pictures and the rather wonderful title.

A below average prog for me.     

Blue Cactus

Dredd does seem to have spent a bit of time bandaged up and indisposed the last few years (well, in Every Empire Falls at least) but I found it quite effective this week because I like the main character of The Samaritan and am invested in wanting her to survive/escape. So in this instance the bedridden Dredd is this menacing hulking threat/ticking time bomb and she doesn't know what to do but she does know she's got to act fast! I'm enjoying this Dredd a lot, although I'm not sure why the [spoiler]robo-judge thought clones would be psychically connected[/spoiler]. I enjoyed Niemand's recent Cursed Earth story in the Meg too.

Blue Cactus

Scarlet Traces has so much going on at the moment that I'm enjoying it but not following all of it. There are characters popping up every few episodes and I'm not sure if I should know who they are or not. I may have to go right back to the very start and read the whole thing as I haven't reread any of it since it first appeared in the Megazine so many years ago.

This is the most I've enjoyed a run of Absalom so far I think. Love the setting, love the art, love that we're going to get a definite ending.

Thistlebone continues to be really good, probably the creepiest new series since Cradlegrave and that's saying something. Davis is so good at faces it feels like watching actors.

Anderson, too early to say. A little recap would have been useful regarding Karyn and I'm hoping Karyn herself gets to develop a real personality rather than just 'PSI Judge/vessel for a monstrous demon thing'. The artwork reminded me of Mick Austen a bit in the mid-range and longshots. I found some of the storytelling a little hard to follow, like the top of page two, other bits like the truck coming to a sudden stop worked well. We'll see where this goes.

Good prog right now, even without Mr Abnett!

Richard

In answer to Blue Cactus's spoiler-tagged question, there are several Wagner-scripted stories alluding to that sort of thing.

Blue Cactus

Quote from: Richard on 23 June, 2019, 04:54:31 PM
In answer to Blue Cactus's spoiler-tagged question, there are several Wagner-scripted stories alluding to that sort of thing.

Thanks Richard. It's certainly been gestured towards in the past like you say, [spoiler]I was just suprised that Judge Patsy assumed  'all you clones' can do it with such accuracy that they'd get a fix on Dredd's location. Having said that, Patsy does have one of those 'quirky personalities' that our protagonist complains about later on in the episode![/spoiler]

broodblik

It is good looking cover and let me add Anderson Forever Young  :)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.