Main Menu

The completely self absorbed 2000ad re-read thread

Started by Colin YNWA, 22 May, 2016, 02:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 08 August, 2018, 09:01:57 PM

8. Nemesis - The Shape of Things to Come... alas that's actually years of teasing stories about hammers as I recall

I got such kick out of that Prog- Nemesis returns (in full colour) with a cracking cover and absolutely out of the blue.
Then nuthin for 3 more years!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 09 August, 2018, 11:21:03 AM

8. Nemesis - The Shape of Things to Come... alas that's actually years of teasing stories about hammers as I recall

I got such kick out of that Prog- Nemesis returns (in full colour) with a cracking cover and absolutely out of the blue.

Its an okay story, but sets up something that never really got played with - the idea that all the hate and
vitriol in Termight would led to its own downfall... and a hammer.... there's another short story in the 900s? Then we have to wait for Book X - which moves things in a different direction... oh my memory could be so wrong there! A bit of a shame but still...

sheridan

Quote from: Link Prime on 25 July, 2018, 09:37:50 AM
Quote from: TordelBack on 24 July, 2018, 01:59:06 PM
Is Dredd in it?

No Dredd, but you do get to see Joyce (Snr) spit out his lunch and scream "There's a fella in me pie!"

I remember a panel with an eye looking out of some type of foodstuff, but think that's Emerald Isle?  In which case it's like every appearance of Joyce is accompanied by bits of dead bodies in food.  Did the line 'Irish pies are smiling' get used anywhere?

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 05 August, 2018, 09:32:07 PM
Possibly the most telling thing about the shift 2000ad is still thrashing through is the 'Droid Profile' for Robo-Cook. Now from my very limited interactions with this droid he seems smashing and lovely and in most of the answers he comes across as a cocky young soul enjoying life, as well he should. However:
What does Judge Dredd look like under his helmet?

Get a life, you sad fanboy

Now this is a fun throw away answer and means diddly squat... or does it speak to the prevailing attitude in the Prog at the time. Its a bold, young thing, punching it way into a bold exciting new era... its problem is it still felts a little ill at ease and ashamed of what its come from and that is going to be a problem for some time!

Was this around the same time that the comic that had previously published Halo Jones now declared that comics are entertainment, nothing else and don't look for deeper meaning?

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 09 August, 2018, 12:44:04 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 09 August, 2018, 11:21:03 AM

Its an okay story, but sets up something that never really got played with - the idea that all the hate and
vitriol in Termight would led to its own downfall... and a hammer.... there's another short story in the 900s? Then we have to wait for Book X - which moves things in a different direction... oh my memory could be so wrong there!

You're not wrong Colin, another 'teaser' to the final confrontation appeared in Progs 901-903, with some grotesque but brilliant Clint Langley painted art.
Then on to the main event in Book X several years later, which despite featuring some astonishing artwork, fell a bit flat for me too.

Quote from: sheridan on 09 August, 2018, 12:45:14 PM
Did the line 'Irish pies are smiling' get used anywhere?

Sure t'was the name of the story.

Funt Solo

Quote from: sheridan on 09 August, 2018, 12:45:14 PM
Did the line 'Irish pies are smiling' get used anywhere?

Judge Joyce: When Irish Pies Are Smiling (Judge Dredd Yearbook 1993)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Leigh S

I seem to recall Pat said that Hammer of the Witches/Warlock got stymied by Langley going off travelling, though why it was curtailed when Nemesis finally returned (other than teh idea of ending the srip in prog 2000) I'm not sure

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Leigh S on 09 August, 2018, 08:34:18 PM
I seem to recall Pat said that Hammer of the Witches/Warlock got stymied by Langley going off travelling, though why it was curtailed when Nemesis finally returned (other than teh idea of ending the srip in prog 2000) I'm not sure

ISTR Kev O'Neill said he'd draw the last episode on the condition that it was the last episode. Hence the subsequent Termight spin-off with Deadlock (which I'd happily have seen more of).
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Prog 829

Now I accept I've been a bit whiney of late. Ohh this isn't so good. That story was a bit rubbish. Gosh why are the heroes so shouty and twaty... PPPPPOOOOOOOOOOO! I know, I know... I'm sorry I try to focus in the good stuff, but you have to be balanced and honest otherwise saying stuff is good loses its meaning and value...

Then we get to Prog 829 and WAYHEY one of the great Progs... just superb... well okay two of the thrills aren't all that and one is a recap.... but the good stuff is SO good.

Firekind I've waxed lyrical about before, but that opening part is just a masterclass. The purple prose of the first page as our hero travels to his destination all lyrical delight and evocation. Then was our traveller materialises DRAGON IN YOUR FACE.

Seriously it could have been just these two pages and it'd have been one of the all time great openings but no the dragon soars and worlds start to be built with craft and guile... oh my gooey comic juices are just bubbling to pressures they have never been thrust to before and we're only 6 pages into this comics beauty.

Kano ... well all you folks that think Kano doesn't have a place amongst Bad Company I say YOU FOOLS... you fools... you fools. It makes me sad this thrill isn't hailed as an absolute classic on a par with its forebears and set out the themes and reason to love it right from the off. Just like the original it takes a trope, in this case the war veteran trying, but (spoilers) failing to deal with normal civilian life. He won't escape his past, literally and he will question the monster he has become.... its glorious, glorious...

... you fools...

Armoured Gideon is pretty good, Dredd is weak and Kelly's Eye is kinda okay.

But those first two I rub them all over my slightly greasey naked body and wait for the moment to arrive.

Oh Mark Millar's first Dredd next Prog... I've gone all flacid again...

Funt Solo

From Interrogation (Mark Millar: A World of His Own), Megazine #323 (2012):

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

broodblik

The combination of Millar, Ennis and Morrison was the reason why I left AD at that stage.

Kudos for Millar for at least admitting it. Morrson at least did provided us with Zenith (I still believe to this day that it is his best work/creation ever)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

sheridan

Quote from: broodblik on 10 August, 2018, 07:20:36 AM
The combination of Millar, Ennis and Morrison was the reason why I left AD at that stage.

Kudos for Millar for at least admitting it. Morrson at least did provided us with Zenith (I still believe to this day that it is his best work/creation ever)

Garth Ennis has said similar (in line with common wisdom, he did some good stuff, some intermediate stuff and some mediocre stuff).