Main Menu

The Stringbags

Started by Tjm86, 05 June, 2020, 07:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

I know quite a few folk around these parts frequent DownTheTubes as well but I wonder if this has caught anyone else's attention:

The StringBags by Garth Ennis and P J Holden.

Personally I've not always been a massive fan of Holden for military stories.  I didn't feel he was the best fit for the Traitor General story for instance.  What I can see here though is definitely inclining me towards seeking this out and having a look, going a long way towards reappraising my view of this.

Should've read the review a bit more closely.  Didn't realise it was a hardback GN.  Happy days.  Ordered.  Be interesting to see what the full book looks like.

Darren Stephens

Hi Tjm86, PJ has posted about this book in the Creative Common. I received my copy last week and would heartily recommend it. It's a top read!
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Funt Solo

That looks good: I dropped a hint with sister that it would make a good birthday pressie. Here's hoping.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Mine landed today and its a lovely production. I'm going to read it soon in along aside some Cinebook in lieu of new comic book day as my LCS is still not open. Really looking forward to it.

Proudhuff

A great read and PJ really rising to the challenge,  nice balance to the art:  planes ships and hardware all well executed and the more cartoony element reduced possibly out of respect for the subject matter, but he's still able to have v recognisable  characters, reactions and action, really one of his best bits of work I've seen.
Cracking story too, empathy and humour along with drama and a classic Ennis ending. The hard back  has a lovely helf to it too, a quality  production.
DDT did a job on me

Mardroid

I ordered the digital version on Kindle... and they cancelled the order shortly after!

I'm wonder if Amazon were premature in offering the digital version, and it isn't happening?

pauljholden

RE: DIGITAL VERSION... THAT IS WEIRD.

pauljholden

word on digital: digital not available yet. Some digital sellers had incorrect metadata so it went on sale earlier than it should - think publisher is trying to come up with a solution.

pauljholden

follow up: publisher only found out this had happened on friday. Trying to resolve it now.

Tjm86

Quote from: Mardroid on 15 June, 2020, 02:19:18 PM
I ordered the digital version on Kindle... and they cancelled the order shortly after!

Buy the physical!  Aside from Amazon's bloody proprietary format and the fact that this side of December you are still paying VAT, you can't beat a real book.

pauljholden

Didn't they drop the vat early?

pauljholden

(BUT I AGREE OTHERWISE)

broodblik

Great news that there will be a digital version available.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Mardroid

Quote from: pauljholden on 15 June, 2020, 03:38:42 PM
follow up: publisher only found out this had happened on friday. Trying to resolve it now.

Thanks PJ.

Quote from: Tjm86 on 15 June, 2020, 03:46:46 PM
Buy the physical!  Aside from Amazon's bloody proprietary format and the fact that this side of December you are still paying VAT, you can't beat a real book.

I don't disagree that there's nothing quite like a physical book. I tend to go the digital route due to lack of space and other savings, but I may still get the physical version.

Funt Solo

Got this today - nice, solid, chunky hardback. I haven't had time to read it but Ennis does great war, and a quick leaf through showed off an amazing double-pager of a brace of Stuka.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++