Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Wolf

Quote from: House of Usher on 14 August, 2009, 11:07:17 AM
Quote from: The Cosh on 13 August, 2009, 08:11:24 PM
Astounding. I'm the least vegetarian person your likely to meet and much of my cooking starts off the same way.

Such has been the influence of Mediterranean cooking on British kitchens in the past 30 years. I think meat-eaters have a greater range of options for getting started, though.

Mine always starts the same way except i always fry onions etc in butter and i never add the olive oil until last if i am making italian sauces.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

SmallBlueThing

Impediments involving slime, day #2.

Youngest son, having had the slime removed from his underpants, today decided to shove it down inside the radiator. Have you ever tried to get slime out of a radiator armed only with chopsticks? It's tricky.

Steev

House of Usher

I advertised a double bed on Freecycle to get rid of it. I let the first person have it who asked for it, on the understanding they would take it Friday night or some time on Saturday. They still haven't given us a definite time to collect, but since we agreed to give it to them we've had another 10 requests from people who could have taken it off our hands yesterday. I've still got it, it's taking up room on the landing and I'm having to work around it.
STRIKE !!!

Minkyboy

Yeah Freecycle can be like that. Both on offering and collecting it is somewhat of a lottery.

I went to pick up some old lino the other week to put on the allotment to keep the weeds down. There was about a transit full of rotting, crumbly cack that disintegrated when you lifted it. Useless for anything but someone freecycled it to save the bother of having to move it to the dump themselves.
Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

House of Usher

:D Couldn't even get rid of one cheap red wine velour 3-seater sofa on Freecycle, nor a three-piece suite of similar description. Eventually the neighbours took the 3-piece for their son's new flat, but nobody wanted the single sofa. We offered it to Track 2000, a recycling charity/business, but they wanted £10 to take it. Finally we phoned the council and put it out in the rain for the dustmen, under cover of as much sheet plastic as we could find.
STRIKE !!!

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Trout

I got a takeaway curry tonight but traffic meant it wasn't quite hot enough when I got home.

It was still nice, though.

Peter Wolf

I was just having a rummage in the bins outside the charity shop down the road.Its usually full of books and other bric-a-brac and i get good stuff out of it sometimes.

Anyway as i was going through the bin this guy who i know well enough to say hello to in the street who is/was the chairman of the commitee who run the Royal Albert Hall walked past and gave me a look of complete disdain and didnt say hello just because i was leafing through books that were thrown away in a bin.

COMMANDO FORCES

If it isn't books out of bins it's pizza off the pavement, what are you like Peter ;)

House of Usher

Someone else came for the bed by 8pm, so it's not all bad.
STRIKE !!!

Dandontdare

Quote from: House of Usher on 14 August, 2009, 06:50:31 PM
:D Couldn't even get rid of one cheap red wine velour 3-seater sofa on Freecycle, nor a three-piece suite of similar description. Eventually the neighbours took the 3-piece for their son's new flat, but nobody wanted the single sofa. We offered it to Track 2000, a recycling charity/business, but they wanted £10 to take it. Finally we phoned the council and put it out in the rain for the dustmen, under cover of as much sheet plastic as we could find.
Reminds me of the chap who put out a fridge out with the sign "free to a good home". No response. Changes sign to "fridge for sale - £30 o.n.o." and it was stolen within a day.

I'm lucky to live in a neighbourhood where "community recycling" (ie put something out by the bins and it'll be lucky to last till bin day) is still common, despite increasing yuppification.

Oh and Pete - getting a funny look when spotted rummaging through the bins? - who'da thunk it?  ;D

vzzbux

Freecycle is an excellent idea. All our Sophies baby clothes have gone to good homes via this.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

TordelBack

Truly a great idea.  Our forthcoming sprog is already equipped with cot and buggy thanks to Freecycle.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: dandontdare on 14 August, 2009, 09:52:29 PM

Reminds me of the chap who put out a fridge out with the sign "free to a good home". No response. Changes sign to "fridge for sale - £30 o.n.o." and it was stolen within a day.

I'm lucky to live in a neighbourhood where "community recycling" (ie put something out by the bins and it'll be lucky to last till bin day) is still common, despite increasing yuppification.

Oh and Pete - getting a funny look when spotted rummaging through the bins? - who'da thunk it?  ;D

There is plenty of community recycling here and its easy to get rid of stuff that way.

As for the bins i was one of or the first to start going through the charity shop bins but now loads of others have started doing the same thing.Its like a lucky dip as you never know what you will find as its insane what this particular shop throws away.I have got loads of books out of this bin before.

I know what it must have looked like but i thought as i was looking through books then it wouldnt have looked so bad.

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 14 August, 2009, 08:36:10 PM
If it isn't books out of bins it's pizza off the pavement, what are you like Peter ;)

Dont say anything about leftovers or Kebabs

;D

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!