Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaceghost

Watched The Troll Hunter at the weekend. It's another Blair Witch/Cloverfield handy-cam mockumentary featuring a group of young film students investigating, initially, illegal bear hunting in Norway.

There's very little in the way of characterisation which is traded off for a more realistic and naturalistic style. Now there has been a few of these handycam films, you start to notice that similar techniques are used such as the 'night vision reveal', and you sometimes think "why is he still filming? RUN!" but if you can suspend your disbelief slightly, it's very enjoyable.

The special effects are great and the Trolls all look distinctive and believable, despite the fact that they also look like they've stepped out of the pages of a story book. Particularly impressive is [spoiler]a battle with an absolutely enormous Troll in the frozen moors[/spoiler].

Definitely recommend.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Professor Bear

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 31 August, 2011, 12:29:29 PMAnyway, one welcome change that came with Brosnan was the rejuvination of the opening titles.

Fair point, but in Binder's defence the opening credits were always just some sort of visual stuff happening rather than something actually related to the rest of the film - don't get me wrong, there's never ever a bad reason to have a naked girl using a trampoline in your film, but what this has to do with the story for Spy Who Loved Me is anyone's guess.

I didn't mind Tina Turner's theme as much as Madonna's, which was so terrible that if you watch the opening credits of Die Another Day it actually looks like the Koreans are torturing Bond by making him listen to it for 14 months.

The Fast And The Furious I had never watched until now because I dismissed it as a male fantasy, and it pretty much is just that.  I can't remember the names of a single character mere hours removed from viewing but the basic plot is that Smolder Bluebadge is an undercover cop with greasy hair who infiltrates the street-racing gang of Drives Fastington (Vin Diesel) and they work out their daddy issues by driving really fast until someone crashes and then they exchange a bromance look and go their separate ways.  It's not complicated to the point that Speed Racer owes it a huge visual and storytelling debt, though for me the biggest sticking point wasn't the stupidity of the plot or the thin characters but the fact that everything hinges on a racing event featuring a different ethnicity of driver in every car that is called Race Wars, which is unfortunate, but not deliberate, I think, because it's that kind of flick.
Dumb, but oddly enjoyable.

brendan1

Quote from: Lee Bates on 31 August, 2011, 12:42:07 PM

Particularly impressive is [spoiler]a battle with an absolutely enormous Troll in the frozen moors[/spoiler].

How is that a spoiler?

"Oh, I'm not going to bother watching Trollhunter now, I already know they fight one in it so there's no point"

Spaceghost

Quote from: brendan1 on 06 September, 2011, 02:14:36 PM

Particularly impressive is [spoiler]a battle with an absolutely enormous Troll in the frozen moors[/spoiler].

How is that a spoiler?

"Oh, I'm not going to bother watching Trollhunter now, I already know they fight one in it so there's no point"

Better safe than sorry. Relax.

brendan1

Quote from: Lee Bates on 06 September, 2011, 02:20:23 PM

How is that a spoiler?

I am relaxed, I was gently taking the piss out of you for over-zealous - but comedically pleasing - adherence to Forum conventions

Spaceghost

Quote from: brendan1 on 06 September, 2011, 02:25:12 PM
Quote from: Lee Bates on 06 September, 2011, 02:20:23 PM

How is that a spoiler?

I am relaxed, I was gently taking the piss out of you for over-zealous - but comedically pleasing - adherence to Forum conventions

No bother. The only reason I spoilered it was because it's the final scene and it sort of builds to it. Didn't want to ruin it for anyone.

Anyway, it's really good.

Watched Attack the Block this weekend and that's another winner. Laaahdan kiddie-gangsters take on aliens in a council block of flats.

Funny and action packed. The kids seem like despicable little thugs at first, but as the film goes on and you get to know them, you start to sympathise with them, and then root for them.

And the music is bare good innit. You feelin' me?

Judge Olde

Attack The Block was a very good, well paced & acted film. Only gripe, [spoiler]it was all wound up a little too neatly & quickly at the end.[/spoiler]

SmallBlueThing

Just watched Escape From Alcatraz, for the very first time, after reading up about 'great escapes' at work the other day and becoming fascinated with how they did it. What a great movie! Barring a couple of niggly bits where siegel plays a bit fast and loose with it (especially the fake head/ here comes the guard/ oh its really clint bit) it's seemingly pretty close to what happened. Except they probably drowned and there were no chrysanthemums.

SBT

Dandontdare

I once tried to do that welding trick with coin-scrapings and matches - it doesn't work!

radiator

QuoteWatched Attack the Block this weekend and that's another winner. Laaahdan kiddie-gangsters take on aliens in a council block of flats.

Funny and action packed. The kids seem like despicable little thugs at first, but as the film goes on and you get to know them, you start to sympathise with them, and then root for them.

And the music is bare good innit. You feelin' me?

Really liked that film, a real shame it didn't do better at the box office - hopefully it will find a bigger audience on DVD/BD/VoD. I've heard so many people dismiss it simply because "the main characters were horrible thugs and I wanted them to die", which I find quite shocking and reactionary. As if the audience is never asked to sympathise with or root for with a morally ambiguous protagonist (Snake Plissken, Dirty Harry, Judge Dredd). My theory is that because AtB feels quite authentic in it's portrayal of the youth gang, the characters perhaps feel a little too close to home which brought people's prejudices into play, and sadly a lot of them couldn't get over that to enjoy the film.

I thought it did a very good job of presenting the flawed 'heroes', with perhaps one or two moments where it felt a little like an apology (in particular [spoiler]the moment when one character says of the mugging at the start of the film "We were more scared than you", [/spoiler]which didn't ring true), and possibly [spoiler]the build up to the finale, where Brewis gets 'accepted' by the gang.[/spoiler] Overall it didn't cop out and make them too cuddly or likable, which I admired. And besides, the [spoiler]one character who we clearly are supposed to root for - Moses - had a very satisfying story arc. While the other gang members will probably revert to their previous lifestyle after the events of the film, there is no doubt that Moses makes the right decision, takes responsibility for his actions, and comes out of the film a man rather than a boy.[/spoiler]

Great film, looking forward to getting my hands on the Blu Ray - I'm sure Mr Cornish has stuffed it full of extras. And yes, the soundtrack is superb - like a blend of 50s alien invasion movie, John Carpenter soundtrack, and bassy dubstep. Been listening to it quite a bit.

brendan1

Quote from: radiator on 07 September, 2011, 10:42:51 AM

Really liked that film, a real shame it didn't do better at the box office - hopefully it will find a bigger audience on DVD/BD/VoD. I've heard so many people dismiss it simply because "the main characters were horrible thugs and I wanted them to die", which I find quite shocking and reactionary. As if the audience is never asked to sympathise with or root for with a morally ambiguous protagonist (Snake Plissken, Dirty Harry, Judge Dredd). My theory is that because AtB feels quite authentic in it's portrayal of the youth gang, the characters perhaps feel a little too close to home which brought people's prejudices into play, and sadly a lot of them couldn't get over that to enjoy the film.

"Shocking and reactionary"?

Not really. Most normal people don't really like the "type" of characters in ATB, because they are rather too close to the tooth-sucking, slang-talking, illiterate, feral halfwits that they encounter all too often in their day-to-day lives, most of whom I'd quite happily watch being killed by aliens.

radiator

brendan1

Goaty

Richmond Clements

Quote from: brendan1 on 08 September, 2011, 09:50:22 AM
Quote from: radiator on 08 September, 2011, 09:10:18 AM
I rest my case.

Not really. You're just lazy.

Yes, it really was quite lazy to write a polite, intelligent and considered reply outlining his thoughts, rather than making a glib, ignorant and reactionary Daily Mail style comment.