Main Menu

2000ad's Dan Dare - why didn't he come back?

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 12 November, 2013, 08:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

So, Cosmic Claw or not, could anyone tell me the story behind his non-return?

It was obviously intended. The last episode in 2000ad says "Dan Dare will return." And then he did't. But, why?

Was it because of the 80s relaunch of Eagle? Was it because it was a poor story, badly received by the readers (I find that hard to believe - of its time, it was great and the whole snobbery about it is, in my view, linked to memories of Dan Dare past while the 7 years olds of the day would have lapped up laser swords and Mekon mind-control)? Was it because Dave Gibbons got poached by the USA?

I feel that Dan Dare is unfairly forgotten. It was a stalwart strip in 2000ad for over 100 progs. It should be celebrated - its blend of camp space opera sci-fi and derring-do has only been matched by Nikolai Dante in the prog. Ever.
Lock up your spoons!

matty_ae

I thought it was on borrowed time afterthe starlord merger and then finally dropped with the Tornado merge. Ultimately its demise was really because 2000ad had assembled a strong enough roster of returning characts without him. I also doubt Tom Tully had the influence to fight for his return.

I do think the artwork is incredible and reading the idw dave gibbons dr who collection, it is astonishing how much effort went in. I presume dave left to do marvel uk dr who as my good there's loads of it.

I would like a collection please rebellion.

COMMANDO FORCES

Didn't someone continue the story off their own back, as a fanzine type of thing. I'm sure it was mentioned on the forum a while back.

Richmond Clements

QuoteI would like a collection please rebellion.

Unfortunately, the rights do not reside with Rebellion, but with the (by all reports) less than helpful Dan Dare Corporation.

Steve Green

I seem to remember a mention of a story where the 2000AD Dare travels back through time to the Eagle Dare to tie it up.

No idea if that was some fan idea or official.

I'd love to see the stories collected, but I don't know what the DD corporation's official line is on it.

matty_ae

I think the links are confusing (certainly on this iPad) but this is the link to guy who had a go at finishing it:

http://stormcomicsuk.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/more-2000ad-dan-dare.html

I think the dan dare co. just want too big a chunk of cash but Keith from Rebelliom said they were looking in to it on a fairly recent podcast (i think) After that I think 2000ad has reprinted everything with an audience for it.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

The Enigmatic Dr X

That post had unintentional Brokeback Mountain undertones.

I'd have him Back
Lock up your spoons!

maryanddavid

The Starlord and Tornado mergers put it on the long finger, and the new Eagle reboot put an end to it. In the hundred or so prog's after DD's last apearence in 2000ad, 2000ad had moved on SO much that it probably would have had a hard time fitting in, had it come back.
Overall, it was very daft fun, with fantastic art by Massimo and Dave Gibbons. A little bit of a lull between Finley-Days and Tullys, where else would you get heart shaped continents!
There was a continuation planned, I recall reading the outline somewhere, maybe in the Eagle Flies Again fanzine, I'll dig it out and see if there is anything.

I, Cosh

I remember being suitably entertained by what I've read of it, i.e. the second half of it which was reprinted by Quality. It was at least on a par with anything else of the era and better than many. I'd certainly buy a collection just for the Massimo.
We never really die.

Proudhuff

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 12 November, 2013, 10:35:00 PM
I'd have him. Ack

I thought that was a subtle reference to the Mekon's probing of DD over a desk...
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

staticgirl

heh, I think Revolver's Dan Dare killed it off more effectively than anything else. It was completely, horrifyingly brilliant but really knocked the stuffing out the character. I bet it's one reason why the Dan Dare Corp are so cautious.

Tjm86

Quote from: Steve Green on 12 November, 2013, 08:42:09 PM
I seem to remember a mention of a story where the 2000AD Dare travels back through time to the Eagle Dare to tie it up.

No idea if that was some fan idea or official.

I'd love to see the stories collected, but I don't know what the DD corporation's official line is on it.
The 80's Eagle did a story where the 50's Dare was brought forward in time by the Mekon.  Some bizarre fun park escapade.  They also did a story about the original Dare's war time exploits. 

I think Tully ended up as the writer on some of the mid to late 80's stories.  There was a shift after one of the reboots towards Dare in the style of the Cosmic Claw tooth run as some sort of Ranger.  Art was incredibly mediocre.  The final reboot took Dare more back to the 50's style with Dave Pugh on art.  Never really recaptured Kennedy's glory.