Main Menu

My Wee XBox 360 Queries

Started by Pete Wells, 22 April, 2008, 07:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

I remember feeling irritated when I found out they took out the PS3s backward compatibility. I still think it was a bad idea (although the reduction in price as a result was pretty major.)  

That being said, if you already have a PS2, I don't see it as much of a problem (except space and having to change leads etc.)  Lets face it, if you sell your old PS2 second hand you're not really going to get much for it are you? Especially if it's one of the first gen chunky versions that I have.

If I got a PS3 I'd feel inclined to just keep my PS2. And as for the 'all round entertainment system' thing, I actually got my PS2 for that reason. I tend to use it more for DVDs than games, but have the game facility when I want it (and I've played some great games!)

As for PS3 vs Xbox 360... I'm kind of in two minds there.  I tend to feel enclined towards the PS3 simply because, a)I've got a PS2 and b) I dislike Microsoft.  Actually that was one of the reasons that I got the PS2, even though I knew the upcoming (at the time) Xbox would be more powerful. That and it being a DVD player too (something you needed an add-on for the old X-box.)

To be fair though the X-Box machines are pretty impressive. And the 360 seems to have most of the games I'd rather play (Bioshock sounds brilliant.)

Anyway, can't afford either at the moment. I do hope that developer produce games that show the PS3 to it's full potential though. And I hope it does end up winning... but I have to admit, part of me really wouldn't mind owning a 360.

There you go. Someone with a bias towards Sony, but not close minded to the competitor. ;)

Peter Wolf

I found that the PS2 was a very good home entertainment unit that i could play games on and watch films and play CDS.

At least that was until Sonys built in obselesence kicked in where the lense deteriorates and refuses to read and play DVDs.

Twice i took the unit back to the shop and got an instant swap for a new one which cant be said of Microsoft who repair your machine so you have to go without it for a period of time [IIRC]

Thats bullshit as well.

This happened not once but 3 times.I am now on my 4th PS2 console [the clunky old version] that i have got on permanent loan from a friend which also refuses to read discs correctly.

And why no off switch on the slimline PS2 which meant unplugging or turning off the machine at the mains.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

badboy

EH??? Its only old PS3's that have the backward compatability.  Sony have been trying to make the PS3 as cheap as possible and have been cutting corners after every gen of the console because they are heamorraging money since the PS3 launched.

You have only heard people say stuff like "n***er jew" on halo3???  Thats amazing because you get absolute ring pieces playing all games no matter what format you play on.........thats not a xbox problem......in my experience it is a yanky problem! lol

MS released a statement claiming the 360 version of GTA had outsold the PS3 version on a 2 to 1 basis.  Which is huge for MS as the PS3 is very popular over there

Bongo Jack

My first PS2 gave me about five years loyal service before it did the disc-reading thing (CDs were the first thing it couldn't read, followed by certain DVDs - I'm guessing something to do with a particular DVD format).  That didn't piss me off as much as the fact I'd payed 300 quid for it and the replacement only cost me fifty.
Oh, and my brother-in-law took the old one (he'd stuck with his Xbox up to this point), opened it up, cleaned it or something, and the bastard thing worked perfectly for another two and a half years (even PS1 games), and that ticked me off royally, as not only had he got it for nothing, he promptly made off with most of my PS2 and PS1 games.  If he still hasn't bought one when/if my PS3 conks out in three years' time, I'm taking a hammer to it.
He can fucking whistle for a free PS3.

Not that I'm still bitter.
Live forever or die trying

Peter Wolf

Mine here still plays CDS just fine and generally wont read and play DVDS but sometimes it will if you leave the disc in the machine for a long time.This has happened once or twice but otherwise it doesnt even attempt to read the disc.

There was also that business about PS3 games having a unique code embedded in the disc that would prevent exchanging it for new discs or reselling.

No idea if that happened though.Surely that would have been commercial suicide ?

The thing i liked most about the PS2 was the little blue light on the open disc tray bit.

Bloody cheek in reference to your post .
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Mardroid

As far as DVDs are concerned, I have been largely fortunate with my PS2, but I have noticed it does have problems with some DVDs.  Not that often though but it does seem to have increased in frequency. It will sometimes skip, i.e. jump DVDs too.

I figured it was mainly problems with scratching etc on the disks though. The last DVD I rented (Doctor Who: The Pyramids of Mars) wouldn't play at all on my PS2. It played on my laptop (which is relatively new) but it would pause and lock up quite a bit. Worked fine on my Dad's DVD player though.

Keef Monkey

I couldn't use my PS2 for dvds from day one because the sound would very slowly go out of sync as you were watching it, so that by the middle of the film it was like a dubbed nightmare.

I, Cosh

Quote from: "Bongo Jack"Downloadable PS1 games:  considering how rough they look, I honestly didn't think this would be a selling-point for me, but then I discovered you can create separate accounts for the Japanese/American sites and download games never released elsewhere, and even transfer them to your PSP, it became a good bonus, as G-Police holds up particularly well.
G Police was a great game. It took me an age to finish that.

Okay, I have a serious question too. It's looking like I'm going to be getting a 360 pretty soon and I'd just like to be absolutely sure that the only difference between the Pro and the Elite is 60Gb vs 120Gb hard drive. The sixty quid price difference seems hard to fathom if that is the case.
We never really die.

Roger Godpleton

Cosh, I think the only other difference is that the Elite has a HDMI port.

I bought an Elite, and I've barely come close to filling a quarter of the 120 GB even after all the XBLA stuff, game demos and videos I've downloaded, so I'd go with the Pro.

Speaking of XBLA, everyone should purchase Megaman 9 now. NNOOWW.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

TheEdge

RIP PC Gaming,  ( except for MMORPG's)
"Save Trees, Eat Beavers"
"Animal Rights: Animals have the right to be tasty"

Tweak72

+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

James

Quote from: "Godpleton"Cosh, I think the only other difference is that the Elite has a HDMI port.quote]

I'm pretty sure all models come with a HDMI port now. I've got a launch day Premium (which has RRODd once) which doesn't. It's 20GB HD is getting pretty full and with the dashboard update coming mid november, which
Ithink you can rip games to the HD, I'm tempted to either get a 120GB HD or even buy a new 60GB Pro.

Mardroid

Quote from: "James"
Quote from: "Godpleton"Cosh, I think the only other difference is that the Elite has a HDMI port.quote]

I'm pretty sure all models come with a HDMI port now. I've got a launch day Premium (which has RRODd once) which doesn't. It's 20GB HD is getting pretty full and with the dashboard update coming mid november, which
Ithink you can rip games to the HD, I'm tempted to either get a 120GB HD or even buy a new 60GB Pro.

Yeah, I think they all have the port now, but the Elite version is the only one with the HDMI leads.

I'm curious of the actual difference in quality though considering the change in price.

Considering the sudden price reduction to £130 for the base models, I was surprised to learn certain supermarkets are selling them even cheaper (under 100 for the lowest.)  Not that I'll be getting one. Yet. I've still got games on my PS2 I haven't played yet. (That and even the low price is out of budget right now, and I wouldn't want to opt just for that one anyway.)