Main Menu

Ask the Hivemind!

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 05 June, 2011, 09:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aonghus

Onlyverysmall, I can't guarantee anything, but I've found Spybot Search & Destroy to be great in the past. Maybe give it a go? www.safer-networking.org/ :)

(I know that's a dodgy-lookin' URL, but what they lack in branding they usually make up for in thoroughness!)

the 'artist' formerly known as Slips

Quote from: Aonghus on 03 April, 2012, 12:26:40 AM
Onlyverysmall, I can't guarantee anything, but I've found Spybot Search & Destroy to be great in the past. Maybe give it a go? www.safer-networking.org/ :)

(I know that's a dodgy-lookin' URL, but what they lack in branding they usually make up for in thoroughness!)
Plus you should get rid of Norton, its not very good in my professional opinion !   :-X
"They tried and failed, all of them?"
"Oh, no." she shook her head "They tried and died"
Mostly Sarcastic & flippant

Dandontdare

Agreed, Norton sucks. I ditched it after the constant accumulation of dozens of update downloads clogged up my computer that it was slowing down usual internet functions. I find AVG free sufficient for everyday protection, and Antimalwarebytes pretty good at removing the stubborn bugs that get through and resist deletion. If it persists, try googling it as I've usally been able to find step-by-step instructions for a couple of viruses that no program would shift.

NEVER buy or run anti-malware applications that have come via spam or have just popped up, they will almost certainly be either a useless rip off, or more likley will infect youir PC rather than cure it. I use the reputable Filehippo for all my free software downloads.

Aonghus

Quote from: the 'artist' formerly known as Slips on 03 April, 2012, 09:41:02 AM
Plus you should get rid of Norton, its not very good in my professional opinion !   :-X

Seconded!

Onlyverysmall

Thank you guys, from IE I went to Firefox, which was bearshare(hawk,spit)'s bitch(not itsfault, I should never have downloaded the confounded thing, and it has free McAfee;
   I might try Safari now.
Anyway, I appreciate your help, thanks.

the 'artist' formerly known as Slips

Quote from: Onlyverysmall on 04 April, 2012, 12:17:56 AM
Thank you guys, from IE I went to Firefox, which was bearshare(hawk,spit)'s bitch(not itsfault, I should never have downloaded the confounded thing, and it has free McAfee;
   I might try Safari now.
Anyway, I appreciate your help, thanks.
Actually thats a good basis for browsing, stay away from IE on personal machines and use FireFox or Chrome, virus/Malware writers etc go straight for anything Microsoft immediately.  Have a look through FireFox extensions for anything that might block ads or such (I dont use FF anymore so Im not sure whats available)

Secondly update your windows machine at least once a month (if not once a week) with Microsoft patches (http://update.microsoft.com) and do a full virus scan at least once a week.  If you have a Mac or Linux, Id suggest the same for updates(apart from an AV scan).....

PS - never download anything that your not entirely sure of, stay away from search engines and toolbars.  Dont open attachments your not sure where they come from.   

And if Im teaching any one to suck eggs Im sorry, but even people who work in IT are this stupid....   :-\ :lol: :-X 
"They tried and failed, all of them?"
"Oh, no." she shook her head "They tried and died"
Mostly Sarcastic & flippant

The Legendary Shark

To uninstall programs I use Revo Uninstaller.

The free version does everything I need, including going through the registry to remove any of those pesky bits and bobs that normal uninstallations just don't bother with. I definitely recommend this.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Onlyverysmall

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 05 April, 2012, 01:45:35 PM
To uninstall programs I use Revo Uninstaller.

The free version does everything I need, including going through the registry to remove any of those pesky bits and bobs that normal uninstallations just don't bother with. I definitely recommend this.

I can't seem to get free versions of Revo or Avg, they diagnose, but then do nothing else without buying them. It may be a problem my end, as others have said Avg was free.
   The problem with bearshare is that all its intricate tendrils are not using the name 'bearshare', so I shall probably have to do a lot of research and typing to get rid- and Norton gave it a green tick...grrr...no, Norton, I will not be renewing.

Aonghus

Quote from: Onlyverysmall on 05 April, 2012, 11:15:40 PM
I can't seem to get free versions of Revo or Avg, they diagnose, but then do nothing else without buying them. It may be a problem my end, as others have said Avg was free.
   The problem with bearshare is that all its intricate tendrils are not using the name 'bearshare', so I shall probably have to do a lot of research and typing to get rid- and Norton gave it a green tick...grrr...no, Norton, I will not be renewing.

Here's a link to the free version of AVG antivirus: http://free.avg.com/us-en/free-antivirus-download
Or you can get a 30-day free trial of their full suite here http://free.avg.com/us-en/download-free-trial which can be replaced with the antivirus once it runs out and your computer's healthy again :D

Oh and don't forget to uninstall Norton before installling new antiviruses, or they'll fight and your compouter will be a casualty...

Hope that helps!

Onlyverysmall

Ahh...thanks very much, Aonghus, I appreciate it.

Aonghus

No worries, hope it works!