Main Menu

Which Tablet?

Started by radiator, 26 November, 2012, 12:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Link Prime on 27 November, 2012, 12:48:11 PM
Get rid of UPC- its keeping Craig Doyle in work!

I know, it's hellish.  I have avoided them like the plague, having had nothing but bad experiences, but they apparently found out where I lived and bought the cable company that supplies our estate!  First we knew of it was a 'congratulations on becoming a valued UPC customer!' flyer through the door.  After a year of arguing with them about the unfairness of it all, they pretty much agreed to supply virtually free no-limits internet as long as we kept the basic TV package with them, so I've kept my trap shut ever since.  Still, bastards.

I'm now leaning back towards the iPad mini, since Indigo (and the blog he linked to) makes a lot of sense, and anyway, I don't have the time to tinker with another device.  I suspect it will all come down to price, and how little insulation I can get away with buying.

zombemybabynow

Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

zombemybabynow

Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Link Prime

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 November, 2012, 12:59:13 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 27 November, 2012, 12:48:11 PM
Get rid of UPC- its keeping Craig Doyle in work!

I know, it's hellish.  I have avoided them like the plague, having had nothing but bad experiences, but they apparently found out where I lived and bought the cable company that supplies our estate!  First we knew of it was a 'congratulations on becoming a valued UPC customer!' flyer through the door.  After a year of arguing with them about the unfairness of it all, they pretty much agreed to supply virtually free no-limits internet as long as we kept the basic TV package with them, so I've kept my trap shut ever since.  Still, bastards.

Cheeky feckers.
And all to keep Craigy in hair gel and Champagne.

Still though- free broadband.  ;)

pauljholden

(I'm convinced I've already replied in this thread or one like it, but here are my thoughts...)

I've two iPads (original and ipad3) and bought my wife the kindel fire hd.

She loves the fire - it's used for browsing, Facebook, watching netflix (occasionally) and playing the odd puzzle / family game.

It doesn't run comixology yet (apparently amazons multi currency stuff is getting in the way somehow)

It'll handle PDF 2000ad fine (actually it translates the colours accurately which, weirdly, my iPads don't) but they -despite having a super high res screen- are rendered at a lower res than its capable of showing (I'm assuming something to do with the algorithm used to resize the graphics...)

I think if budget is tight it's a reasonable machine, if the iP@d mini were the same price (and despite the lower res screen on the mini) it'd be a no contest win for the iP@d - but it's not the same price, it's £100 more...

(That said, when the inevitable happens and the iP@d mini moves to a retina resolution, I'd rather wait and save up for the mini...)

vzzbux

I bought the missus a Motorola xoom2 about 6 months ago and she is more than happy with it.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

radiator

I went and bought a new iPad Retina 64GB, bit extravagant but I realised I could claim the VAT back and write it off as a legitimate business expense!

It's pretty freaking awesome - Comixology is a hugely impressive piece of software and I'm now considering switching to digital progs. Would have been unthinkable a few years ago, but pretty much all the essential stuff gets collected in trades nowadays so I can just buy physical versions of stuff I really want to keep.

radiator

Just wondering, anyone use a stylus for ipad sketching? Wacom makes one but apparently there's (surprise surprise) an issue with nib wear...

pauljholden

I've been using my finger and, when its available a cheapo aluminium stylus-£2 from amazon.

Richmond Clements

Couldn't find thid thread yesterday, so posted it on anohter. But I shall repeat it here.

What about the BlackBerry Playbook?
It's going for what to me looks like silly money at the moment:
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/blackberry-tablets/889_7505_70535_6663_xx/xx-criteria.html

Dan Kelly

I think that a Playbook needs to have a blackberry to work properly

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Dan Kelly on 05 December, 2012, 10:47:42 AM
I think that a Playbook needs to have a blackberry to work properly
Ah! I see...

pauljholden

That was the case - don't think it is so now. Also the blackberry apparently, can also run Android apps (were it couldn't before)

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/blackberry-playbook-947731/review

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 05 December, 2012, 10:19:49 AMWhat about the BlackBerry Playbook?
Depends whether you hate yourself, really.

QuoteIt's going for what to me looks like silly money at the moment:
There's probably a reason for that.

If you want to go Android, get a Samsung. BlackBerry's dead in the water.

Quote from: radiator on 05 December, 2012, 08:52:28 AMI went and bought a new iPad Retina 64GB
\o/

Enjoy. On sketching, I know a few people who swear by the AluPen, and the Wacom one you mention is popular (although I didn't know about the nib issue). Try using your finger first though—you'll feel about five when you start, but if it clicks, you'll quite possibly find you've more control rather than less. (After all, one major reason we use pointers that abstract things is because ink doesn't flow out of our digits.)

radiator

I plumped for a Applydea Maglus - seems to be the best-reviewed stylus around. I'll let you know how it is.

Pro Create is unbelievable - my jaw was on the floor as I started playing around with it.