Main Menu

Comics Britannia

Started by Adrian Bamforth, 06 September, 2007, 04:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

Enjoyed the second part much more, adventure comics, that's more my thing.  A nice piece on Charley's War, hoped for more on Misty.

Al_Ewing

...although I'd rather see those panels dialogued by Ditko rather than Stan. You could cut about half of the "must strain, nnngh" balloons and still keep all the drama.

Although I suppose Ditko wasn't known for underegging the pudding either. "A IS A! A large piece of machinery either is too heavy or perfectly liftable, there is nothing in between etc."
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Peter Wolf

I watched this weeks show .Lots of stuff about girls comics , very little about war comics in general ,although there was a focus on charleys war in particular,a short bit on commando comic ,quite a lot on Roy of the Rovers.Very little of it i was particularly interested in.

The part about eagle comic was quite interesting and i never knew it was dreamt up by a hard drinking bonking vicar although i liked the sound of him so that was a bit of a revelation.

all the while i was watching , i was slowly getting more and more disatisfied as there was no mention of 2000ad and action comic until the end when i breathed a sigh of relief when i realised that next weeks show is going to feature 2000ad etc.

Prog 225 floated across the screen at one point at the end.

The more darker age of the "comic anti hero" is next weeks theme now all the boring stuff is out of the way.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Al_Ewing

I meant to gasp at Adrian's obvious heresy there but unfortunately the web swallowed it.

Never mind - enjoy this lost 'Dit Vetko' classic.http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f159/beatgirlcomics/Vetko.gif">
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

I, Cosh

Enjoyed this week's a lot more than the previous one. If anyone is planning a Collected Slaves of War Orphan Farm I can guarantee you'll sell at least one copy!

I remember asking my dad about this a few years ago and he informed me that Eagle was primarily read by little swots and kids who were made to go to Boys Brigade. Is this true?
We never really die.

I, Cosh

And I have absolutely no idea what that cartoon's supposed to be about.
We never really die.

COMMANDO FORCES

From looking at next weeks TV guide the final episode is on at 22:30.
I presume there must be a lot of Drokk's and Stomm's in it!

johnnystress

Good episode, though I also was a bit disappointed that it skimmed past Misty, a few tantalising images that the narrative didn't address at all.

Good coverage of Charleys War and discussion about girls comics at the time. I assume the last episode will feature a lot more 2000ad?

They cut off Roy Races foot!!!????
What the hell!???

TordelBack

I absolutely loved the idea that Charley's War is a "girls' comic" story.  Prior to the analyses and histories of the past few years, I used to find it amusing that Wagner et al came up through the girls' comic market, but it increasingly makes sense in terms of the depth of character that those guys brought to ostensibly action stories in Tooth.  I used to love girls' comics when I could get them, the Four Marys being a particular favourite.  I had to laugh at "Belly of the Balette", which is precisely how I used to pronounce it, with no regard for the original Irish.  War Orphan Farm was a new one on me, but i want in!

In fact, everything that Alan and Pat had to say in that programme was fascinating.  However, is it just me or does Pat's accent change every time I hear him speak?

johnnystress

" maybe they revealed the feminine within us all..."

cut..quickly

Hoagy

Misty was a surprise absence for me too. Was it British?

I remember me sisters got an annual fer christmas and I read that before meyown 2000ad..

Each eraso far has something to throw yourself at (at my age). The series has some great moments like Kev O'Niell loving his Ken Reid (sp).

heh.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

JOE SOAP

***In fact, everything that Alan and Pat had to say in that programme was fascinating. However, is it just me or does Pat's accent change every time I hear him speak?***

No, it's just you, but he does need his teeth cleaned.

mogzilla

for some reason i thought they would have included "darkies mob" unless theyre saving it for next week.

COMMANDO FORCES

A very entertaining episode with an excellent ending about Charley's War.
I just wish there was more on that.
Still it's better to see a programme like this for a change.