Main Menu

Rediscovering the fun (and inspiration) of the weekly comic!

Started by johnnyivan, 17 March, 2012, 12:31:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyivan

It's a bit like the '70s again.
I'm 43, getting back into drawing comics, and... rediscovering the fun of the arrival of the weekly comic! Every Wednesday, I have that special thing to look forward to. That little treat. I'd forgotten what it's like.

On the way to school in the late '70s/early 80s, I'd nip into a newsagent to see the latest Prog. So excited - yes! Pay my 20p or whatever it was, and revel in the latest Otto Sump/Dredd episode; sat in the corridors of my secondary school, a half hour before the rest of my class swaggered in  - heads full of nothing but football. Read - quick! - they'll be here - soon. If I was lucky? - my comic wouldn't be kicked from one end of the school to the other...

Now, I'm so impressed by the current DREDD artwork - and amazed to see Carlos still doing his magic (it's been over 30 years!) - black line - no photoshop - and still marvellous.

2000ad is now my weekly inspiration, as I commence my work on a career in comics - at last. Just as I always said I would. back then... Wish me luck?
John I. White
-------------
Creator of 'Star Wars age 9': The Unintentionally Comic Adaptation www.starwarsage9.com & www.alienage11.com

Colin YNWA

TordelBack

Quote from: johnnyivan on 17 March, 2012, 12:31:36 AMEvery Wednesday, I have that special thing to look forward to. That little treat. I'd forgotten what it's like.

Never underestimate it.  Welcome, and best of luck.

Spikes

Great stuff!,
Ive so far resisted buying the Prog again (and do i have the room for nearly 800 more progs? - because if i did start buying again, id have to have the complete run!)
Still, managing to sorta keep up by buying the various trade collections. Hope they bring Days of Chaos out sooner rather than later.

Quote from: johnnyivan on 17 March, 2012, 12:31:36 AM
2000ad is now my weekly inspiration, as I commence my work on a career in comics - at last. Just as I always said I would. back then... Wish me luck?

Aye, all the best with this, John  :thumbsup:

Onlyverysmall

I wish you luck, this forum can be a great inspiration for lapsed readers, and also a good springboard to inspire writers and artists; it has definitely inspired me, and in two years people will say "Wow! That guy is better than Bolland and Bisley!" when they see my wondrous offerings...OK maybe four years...OK never.

Electromud

...the mask..the costume..the weapons..you know what I smell? I smell vigilante. And I don't like vigilantes!

betel_uk

Hey, hey, hey... welcome back! Careful with that thrill-power now... it's easy to over-dose after a long period of cold turkey!  :lol:

Ian

Jon

Quote from: johnnyivan on 17 March, 2012, 12:31:36 AM
It's a bit like the '70s again.
I'm 43, getting back into drawing comics...

Hmm, this sounds very familiar. I'm glad there are a few of us. :)

Good luck!