Main Menu

Goodbye Carlos

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 01 October, 2018, 03:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

It was obviously intended as a new beginning, as were most of the L&DoJA and subsequent stories, but it works just as well as a poignant, optimistic ending. See also: Calvin & Hobbes' "Let's go exploring!",  which never fails to leave me misty-eyed.

I'm also not sure filling-out a collected volume counts as justification for pushing on with a series without its defining creator(s?).  I'm sure we could live with a thin book including covers and interviews.  Look at Book of Scars, or Brink!

credo

Can't recall from my Agency Files, but have any of the collected editions included material on the actual design process?

I remember concept sketch material in old annuals for Rogue and Nemesis, but never for SD. It's be great to see that work, and would be a fitting insight into his genius.

Steve Green

I've been asking for a reprint of the Starlord stories in a hardback, with colour spreads reinstated, and Journey into Hell with colour spreads.

The repro in the current Agency Files isn't a good representation of Carlos' work.

Add in his colour Stront stories (The Collector, Beast of Milton Keynes - not sure if any others) and the last two stories and that would make a fitting tribute.

JOE SOAP

There's enough significance in the ending of The Son to serve as a creative sign-off, and a resolution for those characters, by both creators. Taking into account the life and death journeys of the main characters, I can't really see any persuasive reason just to go on with more stories after that. Collections can be filled with other material like the concept work for the proposed TV series etc.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 October, 2018, 10:46:22 AMLook at Book of Scars
I would happily pay for a Strontium Dog equivalent of that volume. Still, The Son and the uncollected Dredd strip totals something like 78 pages. Whack in a ton of cover art, some articles, and you've a slim but viable book.

Bolt-01

I think any decision as to the continuation of the strip needs to be very carefully considered. What a person thinks now, may not be what they think in a couple of months.

I know from my own musings on this that I can decide either way and the following day decide the opposite.

I think that given enough time then all relevant parties can reach what will be a sensitive, considered opinion.

TordelBack

As usual, Bolt talks sense.

broodblik

I am in two minds about someone else tasking up the art for SD, I might as Bolt say change how I feel in year or two. Currently I feel that only if John Wagner wants to continue then only can the strip continue.

I would love Carlos's work that was done for Battle to be reprinted. I only know of El Mestizo coming out next month. Do anyone knows if their is any further plans for his other work to be reprinted ?
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

sheridan

Quote from: Richard on 19 October, 2018, 10:25:57 AM
I read "The Son" as a new beginning, rather than as an ending.

Anyway, if "The Son" is to be reprinted in another regular-style graphic novel likecthe rest of the Strontium Dog stories, we need more new material to fill out that volume. At the moment, the only uncollected Stront stories are The Son and the Dredd crossover "By Private Contract" from prog 2000. Unless there are already enough covers to fill half a graphic novel, we'll never see a complete run of Stront reprints. Even if The Son is reprinted in an Ultimate volume, it's not the same. I have a complete run of Stront and that's where I want to see the last Stront stories.

I count 46 covers on Barney
2000AD Stront (and Durham)
Starlord / Others

There's a few more on reprints, but I'm not sure if any of those were fresh covers. I think four of the US Reprints were new though.
One or two from the graphic novels.

Not forgetting the starscans (only seven more).

Extras

IndigoPrime

Add all of those are you're into 140 pages plus territory. We've had thinner SD books than that, IIRC.

The Adventurer

As previously suggested, fill it with tribute strips and pin-ups.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

The Legendary Shark

Found this while rooting through an old disc, entry for an art comp years ago. Seems apt.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

I forgot you could draw. That's brilliant.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Fuppin'ell Shark, that's great!  Especially like the attention to detail on the pad attachment points and the chiropodist's  nightmare of squished feet...

Richard

That's excellent, and apt.