Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

I have the IDW Bolland Edition.

Given I thought it was meant to be a prestige product, it is actually a big disappointment IMHO.

Steve Green

It is not good.

That and the missing page from the Carlos edition from a collector's edition is not a good bar to set.

abelardsnazz

Liking Apestrife's suggestions a lot. I'm planning on a re-read myself when the collection is complete and there are some great groupings of volumes there.

The Facebook page has put up the next two issues: The Hunting Party and Behind the Iron Curtain, the latter including Red Razors.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 25 May, 2017, 01:40:35 PMRed Razors.
Urgh. Name recognition, there, I suppose, and I do remember thinking the first strip was just about OK on a re-read a while back. But I do hope that's not all of that strip, given that the last story was terrible.

Apestrife

Read The chief judge's man book this morning. Liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Especially the title story. Had some fun twists. Wish the ending had a bit more kick to it, with DeKlerk's fate having already been revealed before the last page. Regardless, still a good story. Reminded me a bit of Mandroid :)

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 25 May, 2017, 01:40:35 PM
Liking Apestrife's suggestions a lot. I'm planning on a re-read myself when the collection is complete and there are some great groupings of volumes there.

The order popped up in my head after reading that the 50 year man was in the Brothers of the blood book, in which Mean Machine is cured. I also thought of it felt as a good follow up to the mega collection's America (with it's inclusion of blood and duty). Essentially making America Beeny a way for Joseph to make up for how he handled things with Vienna.

Apestrife

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 25 May, 2017, 01:48:49 PM
Urgh. Name recognition, there, I suppose, and I do remember thinking the first strip was just about OK on a re-read a while back. But I do hope that's not all of that strip, given that the last story was terrible.

Is it mad like Purgatory/Inferno?

IndigoPrime

I prefer it to those tales, on the basis it's easy to ignore (bar one particularly dreadful cameo). It's also fairly odd at times, and vaguely amusing, but only in the same sense as Musak Killer. There's a talking horse though, and he's at least good value.

Apestrife

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 25 May, 2017, 07:54:29 PMI prefer it to those tales, on the basis it's easy to ignore (bar one particularly dreadful cameo).

Purgatory/Inferno are hard to ignore, due to Carlos' art. As for the story, I can't fit into my Dredd canon. A bit like Chopper showing up alive and well in earth wind fire. "Didn't happen either" ;)

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 25 May, 2017, 07:54:29 PMThere's a talking horse though, and he's at least good value.

Is the talking horse from the black plague :) ?

TordelBack

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 25 May, 2017, 01:40:35 PM... the latter including Red Razors.

I've been pretty bullish about the MC choices so far, but there is no excuse for reprinting Red Razors.  Well, maybe as the only chance to include some Dobbyn art, but even that is by no means his best work (just his only Dreddverse work). Tell me it is at least balanced by The Inspectre. 

sheridan

Quote from: Apestrife on 25 May, 2017, 08:09:45 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 25 May, 2017, 07:54:29 PMThere's a talking horse though, and he's at least good value.

Red Razors?  Different talking horse from Henry Ford (the one in the Black Plague, and the Daily Star strip The Cursed Earth).

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 25 May, 2017, 10:21:59 PM
Tell me it is at least balanced by The Inspectre.

The years have not been kind to it. I'm in no hurry to see it reprinted, TBH.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Steve Green

Quote from: sheridan on 26 May, 2017, 12:15:07 PM
Quote from: Apestrife on 25 May, 2017, 08:09:45 PM

Red Razors?  Different talking horse from Henry Ford (the one in the Black Plague, and the Daily Star strip The Cursed Earth).

Comrade Ed

GordonR

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 26 May, 2017, 12:22:39 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 25 May, 2017, 10:21:59 PM
Tell me it is at least balanced by The Inspectre.

The years have not been kind to it. I'm in no hurry to see it reprinted, TBH.

Now you know how I feel about those bloody Frank Quitely Missionary Man stories.

Klegg Bait

Red Razors was one of the first Dredd graphic novels I bought, in my early days of Dredd fandom (I.e., four years ago).

I don't think it is particularly good, but it fits in with some of the sillier stuff I've read in other Dredd strips. Insurrection was much worse, in my mind.  There's nothing particularly Dredd about it and the Warhammer roots of the team that worked on it shows through in a big way.

Richard

Insurrection made no sense. The SJS, who are only the judges' Internal Affairs people who just investigate corruption, for some reason have a massive armada of heavily armed spaceships? An armada that was never used when Mega-City One was fighting a huge, years-long war with some aliens, but which suddenly gets deployed against a small backwater MC1 colony when it mutinies because it was abandoned and left to fend for itself during said war. This small but plucky band of rebels then manage to defeat the massively superior SJS fleet, somehow.  :-\