Main Menu

Judge Dredd RPG 1985

Started by Tormunda, 25 April, 2017, 08:59:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tormunda

Hi all,
   I dug out my old boxed set RPG last night. Amazingly everything was still there :)

Does anyone have access to a copy of the out of print scenario that came out at the same time? I think it was called Judgement day! Is it available on pdf or something - I know this is a long shot for a 32 year old scenario but hey - I may as well ask!!

Pyroxian

I don't think there's ever been an official PDF - the game was published by Games Workshop who stopped doing anything non-Warhammer related in the late 80s.

I guess your best bet is to keep checking e-bay...

Colin YNWA

JudgeJudi

I have a vague recollection of some of the scenarios that were published in White Dwarf? I think in one you were a judge traveling from the future trying to prevent something? Ring any bells.

Tony Angelino

I found my old copy of the game recently when cleaning out the attic. I have Judgement Day as well. I gather from another thread that Mick McMahon was a bit annoyed about the cover to Judgment Day (because of the similarity to his cover to Prog 61).

I also had an adventure from White Dwarf called "The Spunng Ones".

sheridan

The Games Workshop games:

• Judge Dredd the Role-Playing Game (box set / rulebook depending on edition, based on WFRP)
  • The Judge Dredd Companion (supplement)
  • Judgement Day (scenario)
  • Citi-Block (JD/W40k supplement)
  • Slaughter-Margin (scenario)
At some point I should go through all my copies of White Dwarf and compile a list of the JD articles that were featured (at least some of which were later reprinted in the Companion, above).

(taken from this rpg.net thread)

Tormunda

The Slaughter-Margin. Never even heard of that one.
I will have to see what I can find.

I still have that hope that I can wander into an old book store or a car booksale and find this stull for 10p in a pile of magazines someplace :)

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: sheridan on 25 April, 2017, 08:14:33 PM
At some point I should go through all my copies of White Dwarf and compile a list of the JD articles that were featured (at least some of which were later reprinted in the Companion, above).

No, as far as I can tell the JDC was all new material and none of the White Dwarf stuff was ever reprinted.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 26 April, 2017, 08:09:10 AM
Quote from: sheridan on 25 April, 2017, 08:14:33 PM

No, as far as I can tell the JDC was all new material and none of the White Dwarf stuff was ever reprinted.

Ahh, two minutes of vague research reveals that at least part of one article was in White Dwarf, so don't mind me!  Carry on...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

TordelBack

Quote from: Tormunda on 26 April, 2017, 07:59:32 AM
The Slaughter-Margin. Never even heard of that one.
I will have to see what I can find.

It's not great.  How much you enjoy it may depend on your tolerance for the term "Nip-Cit" (this was before the introduction of Hondo to the strip), and the encounter design seems influenced by the Rogue Trader/WH40K ruleset that was taking over GW at the time.  Not a patch on the Judgement Day module, which reads like a real lost Dredd epic: any game where you can chase escaped cons across Titan on robo-mules is a winner in my book!

sheridan

Things in the Companion (sic all multiple exclamation marks and incorrect title casing):

• You Can Do What??!! (new special abilities - appeared in White Dwarf)
  • This Year - Make it Brit-Cit
  • Statistically Speaking
  • Ready When You Are...
  • I Never Saw it Before, Judge, Honest!!
  • It's Tough on the Peds
  • On The Beat!
  • The Crazy File
  • Speed Kills!!
  • Faster Than A Speeding Hoverpad
  • Block Out
  • Repro Man
  • Downtown
  • The Shuggy File
  • The Laugh's On You, Puny Mortal
  • I Ain't Afraid of No Ghosts, Creep!
  • Channel 9 Crime Time Special
  • Fear and Loathing in Mega-City 1 (I think this originally appeared in multiple parts in WD)

positronic

I haven't looked at these in years, but I'm pretty sure I have the Judge Dredd Role Playing Game, plus Judgment Day and Block-Mania (which I think was a separately-playable game) and also the Rogue Trooper game (all from Games Workshop). Possibly a couple of the supplement books as well. They're in boxes somewhere in the basement. I'll have to see if I can dig them out. I think they're all still complete with the original pieces (assuming no damage from moisture or mold or insects/vermin or something like that). As far as I can recall they were all packed away in large corrugated cardboard boxes that I haven't opened in at least a couple of decades. Now I'm curious again...  :-*

sheridan

Quote from: positronic on 14 May, 2017, 06:23:40 AM
I haven't looked at these in years, but I'm pretty sure I have the Judge Dredd Role Playing Game, plus Judgment Day and Block-Mania (which I think was a separately-playable game) and also the Rogue Trooper game (all from Games Workshop).

Yep - the roleplaying game had:

• the original box set
  • a one-book version of the same material
  • The Judge Dredd Companion
  • Slaughter-Margin
  • Judgement Day
  • Citi-Block floorplans
  • plus a bunch of articles in White Dwarf, some of which were reprinted in the companion, above
Other things Games Workshop released which were 2000AD-related but aren't part of the roleplaying game:

• Judge Dredd boardgame (with fantastic Brian Bolland cover and Ian Gibson map)
  • Rogue Trooper boardgame
  • Block Mania boardgame with wargame elements.
  • Mega-Mania (expansion for Block Mania)

positronic

I still haven't dug the 1985 version out of those old storage boxes, but I was googling some images, and I'm amazed at how many Dredd RPGs there have been. With apparently another version of Block Wars (or Block Mania, I forget which) out there now for the Judge Dredd Minatures Game.

Plus another company which announced they're supposedly releasing a new game sometime this year which will incorporate both Dredd and "the Worlds of 2000 AD". Sorry I don't have the links handy at the moment...

sheridan

Quote from: positronic on 20 May, 2017, 06:00:07 PMI still haven't dug the 1985 version out of those old storage boxes, but I was googling some images, and I'm amazed at how many Dredd RPGs there have been. With apparently another version of Block Wars (or Block Mania, I forget which) out there now for the Judge Dredd Minatures Game.

Block Mania (and Mega-Mania) are boardgames with vague wargaming elements.  The Judge Dredd Minitatures Game is a skirmish wargame.
QuotePlus another company which announced they're supposedly releasing a new game sometime this year which will incorporate both Dredd and "the Worlds of 2000 AD". Sorry I don't have the links handy at the moment...

Worlds of 2000AD RPG