Main Menu

Wizard Issue 135

Started by alphadogau, 28 October, 2002, 01:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alphadogau

Hi,
Has anyone seen this months issue of Wizard?
Pg 28 has a couple of interest bits of info -

1. There is some info about the "British invasion"
4 out of 5 of the people they mention have all worked on 2000ad - Trev Hairsine, Robbie Morrison, Ben Oliver and Andy Diggle.

2. "Dreamwave Productions is secheduled to produce comics based on 2000AD icn ( Judge Dredd) starting in Feb/March 2003. The as of yet untitled 2 issue mini serise will act as a Year One style story focusing on the early days of the lawmans career and features art by Dan Norton ( StormWatch) with a writer to be announced"
My first thought was that this is going to suck.
(Remember the DC version?)
But I guess we wont get an idea until they assign a writer.
I hope it doesnt contradict the original stories. I'm not overly fond of year One retcons of chracters, but i guess this could be a good jumping on point for new readers in the states.

Its not a bad issue this month.

Are we there yet?

Devons Daddy

dredd away from the tooth version, as you say the DC version failed,
i cant see it working for us,here, but a new reader just getting on board the whole genre, why not, lets see how it goes.
i am completely open to this, if it works best of luck to eveyone, if it fails then its there own failure as the content is so strong in the orignal they have an absolute goldmine to work within.
i would buy the first few issues out of interest.
to me anything that puts money into tooth is a great step forward, and helps us celebrate another 25 years.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Leigh S

Strange news indeed - Feb or March isn't that far away, yet no writer named?  But an artist already on the project? Very odd indeed - any chance of one of the droids expanding on this a bit?  I went to the dreamwave productions website but they have no mention of this there....

Alan Barnes

No idea where Wizard got their information from, but it's almost entirely wrong.

We have been talking to Dreamwave about a mini for the US market, but it won't be a Year One job set in the early years of Dredd's career, it won't be released until well into next year and the creative team has yet to be signed.

Alan

Leigh S

Thanks for replying so quickly.  Checking out Dan Norton, his art seemed very much in that 90s Jim Lee/Liefield Mold... not suited to Dredd at all IMO.

As always, if it's not straight from the Mighty One (or one of his minions), treat with caution.

alphadogau

Cool, thanks for the info.
Mmm, I was a litlle suspisions o the info as i thought itw as odd that Wizard would get such a scope?

Mind you i havent really forgien them for not doing a piece on 2000AD for the 25th Aniversary, especially since so many artist and writers from it have made such a big impact in the States.

Dreamwave does seem an od choice for a publisher  thought, I thought Dark Horse would have been more likly.
having said that Dreamwave seem to be doing nicely with there Transformers comics at the moment
Are we there yet?

GordonR

>>Dreamwave does seem an od choice for a publisher thought, I thought Dark Horse would have been more likly.

Dreamweave seem to be a pretty hot publisher at the moment.  Dark Horse has been dying on its arse for the last couple of years now.

Art

What, even with the sheer brilliance that was "Fort"?

ukdane

One of the worrying aspects of Dreamweave publishing 2000ad related comics for the US market, is the availablitity of their comics in UK. I've had tremendous difficulty getting hold of some of their (non Transformers) comics. AND on top of that they have just announced that their biggest selling comics (Transformers) are no longer going to be available in the UK due to licensing issue with Hasbro.
Let's hope if something does come of this, that the UK audience is treated BETTER that the US one!
Cheers

-Daney

alphadogau

Are we there yet?

almighty mat

My shop's had loads of the DW stuff in  with no problems, apart from the recent thingey with Transformers being a pain. I think it's more likely that your local comic shops haven't bothered carrying the non-transformers stuff to much extent in case it flopped. And if there's any license they could pick up that WOULDN'T have any copyright bother in the UK, surely it's Dredd?

mat