Main Menu

APRIL ART COMP - BAD COMPANY

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 02 April, 2013, 02:07:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

McHeath, Hawk, Bob: Bad Company (and sequel Bad Company II: The Krool Heart) would be on most 2000AD readers all time top 5 favourite strips list. You've no idea what's ahead of you...no idea. Lucky buggers!!

PS- very nice painted piece above, looking forward to seeing how this thread develops.

Pete Wells

Hey Mr Dilworth, your picture is okay I suppose but I prefer the one above it.

Mutter... grumble... bloody talented artists entering an art competition...  :D

Dark Jimbo

For those thinking about picking up Bad Company, do yourselves a favour and pick up THIS version:

and NOT this one:

It seems strange to castigate a graphic novel for being too complete, but the later Bad Company material (included in the thicker phonebook book) is so inferior to the superb original works that it actually drags the whole lot down in terms of quality. The earlier graphic novel contains all the essential stuff, the only bits you need to read. You really aren't missing anything with the rest.
@jamesfeistdraws

Link Prime

Good advice Dark Jimbo, very good advice.

Skullmo

Bad Company 2000 still gives me nightmares.

I did really enjoy the Kano solo story though.
It's a joke. I was joking.

Mister Macheath

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 09 April, 2013, 09:07:55 PMIt seems strange to castigate a graphic novel for being too complete, but the later Bad Company material (included in the thicker phonebook book) is so inferior to the superb original works that it actually drags the whole lot down in terms of quality. The earlier graphic novel contains all the essential stuff, the only bits you need to read. You really aren't missing anything with the rest.

Cheers for the heads up, I just came back to ask which version to pick up. Case closed then!

Hawkmumbler

Thanks for the heads up lads, but being the narrow minded twirp I am I can't stand having an edition that is less complete than another edition of equel value. I'll just keep in mind the drop in quality when reading it and won't expect anything to the contrary.

Sideshow Bob

Thanks for that guys....
Have gone with your advice,  and ordered Bad Company..Goodbye Krool World for the princely sum of £9.74 (including delivery ).   Delivery next week !!
That will give me time to read ' Y-The Last Man ' which is due to arrive on Thursday 11th....Excellent stuff and Cheers for the help. :D
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Frank

If I'd been aware of the devastating events in Brett Ewins's personal life at that time, I would have been a little more forgiving of the results of what was basically an art therapy program. I could never understand why Milligan had decided to return to that strip - or 2000ad in general - but it makes a lot of sense that he would help out a good friend and mentor. Alan MacKenzie's gone up in my estimation for continuing to supply Ewins with paying gigs and for publishing Brett's art book/biography, all proceeds of which go directly to Brett:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Art-Brett-Ewins/dp/095691490X/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1365540945&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=brett+ewins

Greg M.

Milligan being ever the metafictionalist, there is a very telling set of lines early on in 'Bad Company 2002' where he does rather seem to be questioning the whole endeavour.

"Why go back? Didn't we do everything that needed to be done? Said all that needed to be said? What else is there to do?"

Nothing, Pete. Nothing to do and 6 whole episodes to not do it in.

The 'Kano' story is great though (much better read years later in one sitting), and well worth getting 'The Complete Bad Company' for.

Skullmo

Also the Kano picture on here is amazing!!! Another great art month methinks
It's a joke. I was joking.

Colin YNWA

Yeah have to echo what a couple of others have said that 'Kano' is a fantastic story and really shouldn't be neglected. Its a fantastic take on the whole soldier not being able to adjust to normal life trope. Of course this being Bad Company 'normal life' is anything but.

Oh and art is good (to keep things on topic!)

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Skullmo on 09 April, 2013, 10:09:52 PM
Also the Kano picture on here is amazing!!! Another great art month methinks

Yes it bleeding well is.   Fair play, J Dilworth.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

CrazyFoxMachine

James Dillworth beautiful - !

The fact that this comp is getting people reading BC anew is really quite marvellous :D

Mister Macheath

There we go, picked up Goodbye, Krool World on my lunch break, looking forward to getting stuck into it! Who knows, if it sparks my thrill receptors vigorously enough I might even submit some art of my own (to make up for derailing this thread a bit).