Main Menu

The Trailer Thread

Started by radiator, 16 November, 2011, 02:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 30 March, 2017, 09:14:07 PM
No prizes for guessing the character/actor.

Not a Resident Evil fan, huh?

Tony Angelino

I actually don't remember what Milla was like in the film.

The answer is of course Chris Tucker. He just takes me out of that film like no other character or actor ever has in any other film I can think of. I was really enjoying it and then he turns up and I'm just sitting there going "What? Is this the same film?".

The sad thing is he was in it for so little but he is all I can think of when someone talks about The Fifth Element. He even made Gary Oldman look as if he was under-acting.

TordelBack

I was pulling your leg about Milla, who improves any movie by her mere presence. But actually I think Ruby Rod is a big part of the film's success, and I'm not generally a fan of Tucker.  The character concept is pretty prescient, very funny and despite being so deliberately grating really rather remarkably heroic.

Although I'm not denying that original-choice Prince wouldn't have been even better.

Goaty

Funny as watch Fifth Element many times and find that character better as funny and comedy side.

radiator

I remember The Fifth Element getting an absolute kicking when it came out (20! years ago). It's only recently that it seems to have gained a bit of nostalgic reappraisal.

I remember enjoying it at the time, and still think some of the design touches are inspired, though it always felt like a much more interesting science fiction movie that was awkwardly shoe-horned into a Bruce Willis/Die Hard vehicle in the third act.

CalHab

Quote from: radiator on 31 March, 2017, 03:36:38 AM
I remember enjoying it at the time, and still think some of the design touches are inspired, though it always felt like a much more interesting science fiction movie that was awkwardly shoe-horned into a Bruce Willis/Die Hard vehicle in the third act.

Didn't Moebius work on it? There are also strong similarities to The Incal.

Dandontdare

I love the fifth element - it was on TV the other week and I wasn't planning on watching but saw it flicking through the channels and ended up watching the whole thing again. Perfect balance of drama and comedy. It must've lodged in my brain because I'm incapable of seeing a  multipack of anything without saying "muuulti-paack" in a Milla accent!

TordelBack

I have one of those travel card things, and every single time I tag on or off I say "muultipass" in my head (at least I hope it's in my head).

It's a movie that is let down a little by a pointless sort of plot, and it's not really Derek Jacobi's best performance, but there are so many contrasting tones, characters and settings that it really is a delight to watch, and as DDD says I am compelled to watch it again any time I stumble across it on TV. 

When it came out, there had been nothing remotely like it for years, and it still manages to look fresh long after traffic-filled megacity skies, alien opera and ass-kicking savant girls have become de rigeur.

Goaty

Quote from: TordelBack on 31 March, 2017, 10:06:45 AM
It's a movie that is let down a little by a pointless sort of plot, and it's not really Derek Jacobi's best performance,

Yes I agree but he wasn't in it. It was Ian Holm :)

TordelBack

Quote from: Goaty on 31 March, 2017, 10:11:48 AM
It's a movie that is let down a little by a pointless sort of plot, and it's not really Derek Jacobi's best performance,

Yes I agree but he wasn't in it. It was Ian Holm :)

D'oh!   :-[  I'm always doing that.  Napoleon, Claudius, what's the diff.

CalHab

It's a movie that is let down a little by a pointless sort of plot, and it's not really Derek Jacobi's best performance, but there are so many contrasting tones, characters and settings that it really is a delight to watch, and as DDD says I am compelled to watch it again any time I stumble across it on TV. 

I assume you mean Ian Holm?

TordelBack

Quote from: CalHab on 31 March, 2017, 10:15:28 AM
I assume you mean Ian Holm?

Fake news! Sad!  Derek Jacobi has an uncredited role as the Mondoshawan that delivers the prophecy at the start of the film.  Jacobi has great cameos.  The best!

No, sadly I did mean Ian Holm, whose name I continually mix up with Jacobi. 

CalHab

Quote from: TordelBack on 31 March, 2017, 01:32:50 PM
No, sadly I did mean Ian Holm, whose name I continually mix up with Jacobi.

For me, Ian Holm will forever be the disembodied head on the Nostromo, whereas Derek Jacobi will always be the disembodied narrator on In The Night Garden.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

CalHab

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 10 April, 2017, 02:32:48 PM
Thor: Ragnarok trailer. I'm sold.

I'm not much of a fan of superhero films but I'll go and see anything Taika Waititi does.