Main Menu

Whole load of bits from London MCM - inc new printing of Charley's War

Started by Colin YNWA, 28 October, 2017, 05:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven Denton

I want a black and white version of V-for Vendetta. The colour never sat right for me.
Halo Jones: Gibson's original art is lovely, and looks like it would be very tricky to colour sympatheticly (I would have gone with flat colours and a limited pallet).

Alan Moore is a big name, people who are buying the comic on Moore's name aren't going to care if Gibsons art has been 'vandalised'. People expect comics to be in colour. Having a colour edition will no doubt increase revenue and new readers.

I can see why original readers are upset. I can see why Gibson fans are upset. I don't think this book is for them.

TordelBack

Not upset myself, just think that folk who think colourised B&W is 'better' than the original are missing out.  Happy to concede that whatever works, works, especially as far as Rebellion generating revenue goes.

V for Vendetta is a very odd case, since the last book, more than a third of it, was originally in colour, and a chunk more (two issues?) that was coloured after the fact was never published in B&W. I'd certainly like to see an original 'mixed' reprint, in the manner of Zenith, but the fact remains that as a completed work it has always existed in colour, and the colourising was done by Lloyd himself, with the help of (I think?) Steve Whitaker.  As such the colour GN it has a certain cohesion as a project.

However, even with all these caveats it is also a good example of why B&W with colour just isn't as good as art that was meant to be coloured.  Book 3 looks significantly better than than the colourised chapters, with open space left for colour, rather than the blacks and full panels of the first two books. 'Course I'm preapred to concede that it looks better because Lloyd had got better.

Steven Denton

I agree with you completely Tordleback. But I'm an artistic snob.

Frank

Quote... someone who badgered a creator into posting about something deeply personal and private

I can't remember asking for any explanation of why Smith didn't deliver a script* - just why Tharg handled the matter in the way he did.** I'm sure you can click on the link provided and find a quote to support your argument.**

We all remember the touching sympathy you expressed on that thread with the crippling grief that prevented the author from fulfilling his obligations. That sympathy lasted almost a week, by which time you'd decided he should just get over it:

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 25 October, 2017, 11:23:56 PM
Arthur Wyatt's Samizdat Squad ret-conned The Inspectre out of Dredd continuity ... that was entirely my fault for failing to write anything Tharg wanted to publish in the years between those two strips. And I wasn't even getting asked to write more stories. Is there something applicable in that anecdote...? You be the judge.

I've been itching to have that out with you, Jim - thanks for obliging, even if you only did so in an attempt to change the subject and avoid confronting uncomfortable truths. Apologies to everyone else for causing a scene.

* because I already knew

**  This is like that time you accused me of a campaign of hate against Molcher. On another site and with zero supporting evidence, of course.

Jim_Campbell

You may tell yourself whatever you wish. I would suggest that the number of comic pros that have unfriended and/or blocked your FB alter-ego since the Smithy incident suggests that there is another viewpoint. You have no scruples, morals or shame. If you can live that... well, good luck to you.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Frank

I realise these are tough truths for you to hear, Jim, but arguing from verifiable facts and reason, rather than emotion and wounded pride, will make you a better boarder and this board a better place for everyone else.

IndigoPrime

Steven Denton

BPP

You offering Steve, cause that hat is totally working for me.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Steven Denton

All that effort I put into polishing my skull and you only notice the hat!