Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abelardsnazz

Isle of Dogs. Finally got round to this after what seems like a year since first seeing the trailer. Visually stunning, with lots of stuff going on in the corners of the screen I'm sure I missed. However, despite my love for Wes Anderson's last film The Grand Budapest Hotel, I thought this was just a bit too quirky for its own good. Still glad I saw it though.

Smith

Godzilla Planet of Monsters.Its a mashup uf Macross and Godzilla basicly.Its not bad,thou the much-talked-about twist at the end is pretty easy to guess.

The Legendary Shark

Damnation Alley (1977). Piffle. Probably only of any interest to The Cursed Earth fans - and even then it's still piffle.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

It had George Peppard playing himself, what more do you want?

Red Sparrow - remake of some mid-80s tv movie I vaguely recall about Russkie hotties taught to shag for the motherland, featuring mid-80s politics to boot.  I am so old I can remember when people said The Hunt For Red October was the last movie of the Cold War (okay I actually read it on a Tom Clancy wiki page), but here we are in 2018 doing the same old Black Widow schtick instead of a more accurate depiction of Russian vs American politics where a bunch of bored office workers paid to fake English language social media accounts spam Twitter with stories about Hillary Clinton running a pizzeria that serves child sex instead of hot mozzarella, and then run stories about Trump being pissed on by underage hookers because I don't know the whole thing is very Russian.  The current geopolitical arena is far more interesting than this rather binary story about girl spy meets boy spy and then does a double cross - OR DOES HE/SHE? - so it's a good thing it's so well-made and performed otherwise there'd be naff all to pique your interest - unless you're willing to pay the admission price to look at Jlaw's baps or something, but we have the internet for that.
Nicely-crafted, but uninteresting.

Pyroxian

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 26 April, 2018, 12:53:20 PM
Damnation Alley (1977). Piffle. Probably only of any interest to The Cursed Earth fans - and even then it's still piffle.

Also: Giant Scorpions

Mardroid

Guardians of the Galaxy volume 2

I enjoyed it a lot. I think I prefer the songs in the first one. This one is less comedic and light hearted, but being an emotional exploration of family, this wasn't a bad thing. It's still pretty funny in places.

abelardsnazz

Avengers Infinity War. No spoilers but suffice to say this delivers on plot, character, action and humour. Going before I say any more.

TordelBack

Valerian etc. I... liked it?  It married a very retro tone with some lovely visuals, and delivered a non-universe-threatening plot that I actually cared about seeing resolved.  I thought the leads were enjoyably different from the norm, and while Delavingne (sp?) clearly isn't the greatest actress ever, her extravagant eyebrows successfully distracted from her shortcomings - plus Laureline herself was an interesting enough character, in a 1960s Agent 99 way.

It's major flaw was the Rhianna diversion.  Personally I like a bit of Rhianna, but this whole sequence was either way too long or way too short: it could have been neatly snipped out of the movie with little change (just give the shapeshifting ability to a gadget), or it could have been expanded to make Bubble more integrated with the story: as it was, it just slowed everything down, and the whole sex-district thing was awkward (Jessica Rabbit cosplay included) in what was otherwise a kids' film.

But yeah, I'd have watched another of these, sad that I never will.

Tiplodocus

THE ISLAND
I thought I'd catch up with this slice of Bayhem from 2005 and somehow still managed to be surprised at how terrible it is. I don't want to tread on Prof Bear's ground but it climaxes with what looks like a British Airways ad having just established that Ewen McGregor's character (with a mental age of thirty) porked Scarlett Johansen who has a mental age of 15 and then carries a small pistol up her chuff for half a day while buying ice cream for kids and playing on a swing. And I haven't even got to the heavy handed slavery and gas chamber imagery yet.

And I have no ducking idea how Ewen McGregor got his memories.

The Island? More like The Shitland.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

Yeah, Valerian was much better than I thought with some very inventive stuff in it. Luc Besson is infuriating. For Me, Subway remains his masterpiece.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

Quote from: TordelBack on 26 April, 2018, 10:52:06 PMand the whole sex-district thing was awkward (Jessica Rabbit cosplay included) in what was otherwise a kids' film.

I would argue so was Valerian's serial sexual harassment of co-workers, for which he is ultimately rewarded.

TordelBack

Quote from: Professor Bear on 26 April, 2018, 10:57:11 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 26 April, 2018, 10:52:06 PMand the whole sex-district thing was awkward (Jessica Rabbit cosplay included) in what was otherwise a kids' film.

I would argue so was Valerian's serial sexual harassment of co-workers, for which he is ultimately rewarded.

True, but like I said, very retro tone, of which this is a large part. 

abelardsnazz

Beast. Intense psychological drama that tips just that bit too far into melodrama for my liking. Great performances from the cast though.

Apestrife

Iron Man 3. Not seen in years. Not sure why. Still brilliant to this day. Tightly written big fun action with a big heart and something actual to say. Love everything from Stark's battle with panic attacks and PDST (why isn't this happening to more super heroes??) to the twist [spoiler]fun enough on it's own, even more so knowing people actually think the Mandarin is an actually cool villain before the reveal :D[/spoiler]. Not to mention each character had a place in the film and delivers snappy dialogue without it sounding overwritten or rehearsed to death.

Next up. Winter soldier, followed by Thor: Ragnarök.

TordelBack

Yeah, I'm not sure I like the third act too much, but the main twist is really superb, and many of the performances are terrific.  Here, do we know if [spoiler]Pepper still has her Extremis[/spoiler] superpowers as of Avengers 3?