Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

"Friends, why did you sell your souls to the devil?"
2 seconds later.
'The Moon Explodes'

Livemans OP tells you all you need to know, it's bonkers and amazing, and I love it.

Props has to be given to Dairanger though, thats a superb series.

Professor Bear

Dekaranger FTW - the movie version is one of the best superhero films ever made, and I'm not just saying that because it pisses off after 42 minutes.

Steve Green

2001: A Space Odyssey

They are doing some theatrical screenings in 70mm and I've only ever seen it at home, on a projector.

Hard to separate from the jokes/nods that have seeped into popular culture - the Jupiter Mission and HAL's breakdown was by far the most interesting part for me.

Lux Aeterna is a bit harsh as well, just became annoying rather than alien after a while.

A family in front of me had brought their under 10s with them - no idea how they lasted...

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Steve Green on 20 May, 2018, 10:35:17 AM
2001: A Space Odyssey

They are doing some theatrical screenings in 70mm and I've only ever seen it at home, on a projector.

Hard to separate from the jokes/nods that have seeped into popular culture - the Jupiter Mission and HAL's breakdown was by far the most interesting part for me.

Lux Aeterna is a bit harsh as well, just became annoying rather than alien after a while.

A family in front of me had brought their under 10s with them - no idea how they lasted...
I watched it last night on the home projector.

Awesome!

Mattofthespurs

Deadpool 2

It's ok. [spoiler]But not a patch on the first. Nice end credits stuff though.[/spoiler]

abelardsnazz

That Good Night. John Hurt delivers a brilliant final lead role as a curmudgeonly writer in the Algarve. The story itself is fairly slight, but Hurt and the gorgeous Portuguese scenery make it. Plus there's a great appearance by Charles Dance. Nice to fit a quiet one in amongst all the Marvel and Star Wars shenanigans. RIP John.

Tiplodocus

I really didn't like this one. Just didn't believe in anybody the characters especially Hurt and why anyone would put up with him.

Plus there was too much "Come on dear, let the men talk."

But it was pretty to look at.

More like RAGE AGAINST THE DYING SHITE!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

Fahrenheit 451?  More like FarenSHITE 45wait I should do the review first.

In previous centuries, they had these things called "bukes" which were basically epubs, but there was only one epub per buke, and it was like the size of a brick and made of paper, which sounds very inefficient if you ask me, but apparently there's an epub by Ray Bradbury that this film is based upon and its about people who stockpile bukes until they catch fire or something.
I've never really read this epub as it was one of the thousand or so that came pre-installed with the e-reader app and I still have Mortal Instruments, Ready Player One, and, oh I dunno, some Andy Weir shit about whatever to get through, but anyway, the epub was like a Black Mirror episode but for the 60s, so they had to make some changes to make it more relephant to modern audiences so now someone says "you can have data on a computer" at one point and then they smash a computer because it has epubs on it, but after that they just go back to being about paper bukes because the people making this have no new ideas of their own, which is sort of why you remake something in the first place.  To be fair, they get done with the original story with about 40 minutes to kill, so they add on a plot about someone having saved the contents of Wikipedia which the goodies stuff up a canary's bottom at length.  Before you ask: no, I am not making that up.
I liked that some of the goodies' lines were quoted directly from classic films that my dad watched, like Bad Boys 2, and that when they find computers the computers have bright flashing lights all over them and go "WHUMMMMMMMM" all the time - very stealth - and that clearly Twitter still exists in this dystopian future but unlike real Twitter it only seems to be used by people who support oppression and want no change in the status quo.  I also liked the lady who lets herself be burned with her bukes who was very subtly alluded to as a martyr by having her strap bukes to her chest like a suicide vest and then set herself alight and no I am not making that up either this is something they did in this film.

Coincidentally, I watched the original recently - I think I gave it a mensh up the thread somewhere -and the lead in that (Oskar Werner) wasn't a native English speaker, so I did look him up and he was an ex member of the Wehrmacht during WW2, which certainly explains the mad autopilot look in his eyes in some scenes in that film, but the cast of this are all native English speakers and the lead in this is just sort of there most of the time, even when he's setting some hapless chump on fire.  I mention this because apart from the oddly unnatural dialogue that makes the film seem like a dub at times, there's the pointless addition of racism to the text of the remake which I assume comes from the lead being African American now, but it goes absolutely nowhere even though there's a chance to channel some of the lived-in intensity that Werner might have brought to proceedings with his experience of living in a fascist state and being forced to do things he didn't want to which culminated in him - I shit you not - deserting and living rough in the woods for two years with his half-Jewish wife, so no fooling, Oskar could relate to Bradbury's material, whereas the lead in the new one never visibly reacts to racism.  The racism is not there for him to riff off, and it contributes nothing to the work, so... a bit odd.

Anyway, it wasn't very good.   More like Farenheit Four Five ONE BIG PILE OF SHITE.

Professor Bear

ANON, which is that Black Mirror episode about people recording things with their eyes*, only stupid.
Remember how the Black Mirror episode was about someone trying to keep a lid on something bad they did when they had to walk around with a recording of the event in their eyeball hard drive that cops could access if they ever wanted to, and how it eventually snowballed and ruined that person's life?  Well imagine instead that the story was that the person who did the bad thing was a sexy lady with big knockers who is also a super eyeball hacker who has sex with people and then kills them.  What has this got to do with hacking eyeballs and exploring the erosion of privacy in an an age where people opt in to having their lives catalogued and recorded in real time via social media?  Fuck all.  It has fuck all to do with it.
Clive Owen basically makes a living now saying yes to the first thing his agent offers, but I imagine he also thought it sounded good that 90 percent of his screen time involved sitting down and having a smoke while not having to say anything, while the other 10 percent was Amanda Seyfried using him as a trampoline.  Nice work if you can get it.
More like... erm... A N-other shite film.

* yes, I know there's been a few with that premise, and this nicks from at least two of them.

Mardroid

Quote from: Professor Bear on 25 May, 2018, 03:02:54 PM
Clive Owen basically makes a living now saying yes to the first thing his agent offers, but I imagine he also thought it sounded good that 90 percent of his screen time involved sitting down and having a smoke while not having to say anything, while the other 10 percent was Amanda Seyfried using him as a trampoline.  Nice work if you can get it.
More like... erm... A N-other shite film.

:lol:

Basic N-stinct?

Mattofthespurs

Finally got around to watching Atomic Blonde.

Have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's like the female version of John Wick but with even more outrageous violence and a dollop of lesbian sex thrown in. What's not to like! The soundtrack, if you dig 80's music, is killer too.

IAMTHESYSTEM

BATMAN NINJA.

If there is one Anime movie in the world to avoid it is this cartoon Film which has nothing of merit to recommend except some well rendered 3D models.  An intriguing idea: Batman is thrown back in time to a feudalist Japan is spoilt by the awful plot contrivances as not only has the Batcar somehow travelled in time but Alfred and half a dozen Allies of the Caped Crusade as well. All the major villains are here too, but not one of them is memorable, and even the fight scenes seem jarring, far to cut and paste to satisfy. Tasteless, witless, I had to fast forward through it such was the ignominy I felt to this travesty upon the Batman legend. You could only feel embarrassment for all concerned, wonder what the hell is happening in the DC Universe and hope that the only way is up for their most iconic character. Only view this film if your a masochist and you want your mind to bleed. Truly, truly awful.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Smith

Which is to be expected of recent DC animated movies.Except for the two Adam West ones,oddly enough.

Professor Bear

Yeah, the DC animated movies have been pretty poor.  Apart from anything else, what's their dang hurry to adapt anything of note that DC have ever printed* into a cheaply-animated straight-to-dvd feature?  And do we really need another animated movie based on The Death Of Superman?

* and some comics by Geoff Johns

JamesC

I've only seen a couple of the DC animated films but what's struck me is that the timing of certain scenes seems to be off. Scenes that I imagined being pretty brief are dragged out and vice versa.
The best example I can think of is in TDKR. I'd always imagined the Batmobile to turn up at the mud pit, shoot a couple of rockets, basically as a shock and awe tactic, and for Batman to jump out and attack during the confusion/commotion. In the animated film the batmobile sits there for ages, firing off rockets at the Mutants. While the look of the scene is very similar to the comic, the pace seems totally off.