Main Menu

Dredd Suggestions

Started by Rio De Fideldo, 02 July, 2008, 11:33:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Lucky Stevie!

Make that a hyper sentient wedgie from the planet Kraaak; the advance scout of a race who have been slumbering in the Earth's core since they were incarcatered there four billion years ago.

The story would be entitled The Kraaak-In Wakes.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Mike Gloady

Quote from: steven lenfant terrible on 01 July, 2009, 04:12:04 AM
The story would be entitled The Kraaak-In Wakes.

I think you ought to put together a proposal.  That might work.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

TordelBack

QuoteWhy not just pause the year - or at least never refer to it again, is there really any need for the entire thing to run in "real" time ? That way you never have to worry about Dredd and you can still tap into that continuity if you want to...

Patrick O'Brian did just this in the Aubrey/Maturin novels.  After following our heroes through 'historical time' for a dozen years and a dozen novels, O'Brian realised that he'd run out of Napoleonic Wars.  So he froze time, explained his reasons in a wistful author's note, and the adventures continued in "the Long Year of 1812".  Disconcertingly the seasons pass, characters get promoted, get pregnant, give birth and their childen age, but it's always 1812. 

I know Dredd isn't exactly an historical novel, but I'd be lying if I said that I enjoyed the '1812' novels as much as the ones where the characters actually moved in sync with the flow of time - and I'm sure the same would apply.