Main Menu

Could somebody start a thread about something they like?

Started by Tiplodocus, 27 January, 2009, 01:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

worldshown

I'm advised that the standard Dutch response to German tourists looking for Anne Frank's house is "you found it then, you can find it now!"

Peter Wolf

She is well known for not answering the door and pretending not to be in.
She should have done some creative work or written a book or something/anything rather than the diary which isnt very interesting.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

House of Usher

Working in education I can tell you that these days 'Comic Sans' is recommended as a font to use in classroom handouts because it's supposed to be easier for divs to read. But no learners unless they have special permission are allowed to hand in work they themselves have written in Comic Sans. I for one would never teach with it. The education experts also recommend using Ariel or some other sans-serif font for classroom materials, which I use occasionally. Personally, I prefer to make handouts in Times New Roman or, if I'm feeling really saucy, Book Antiqua. I always find out first if my students can read serif fonts before I go printing out everything in Ariel just to be on the safe side.

Going back to Comic Sans, I was quite startled at receiving an application form for a Civil Service post printed in Comic Sans to comply with its equal ops/accessibility policy. My own view is, coming from a government agency it didn't look very professional, and the tick boxes on the electronic copy were non-functioning as they always are. It seems no-one in 'human resources' (personnel) knows the difference between a field and a character when both look like boxes.
STRIKE !!!

Dunk!

QuoteHowever, I loved his most recent one, Matter, although I appear to be alone in that.

Nope, there's two of us. Thought it was excellent.
"Trust we"

Peter Wolf

"Going back to Comic Sans, I was quite startled at receiving an application form for a Civil Service post printed in Comic Sans to comply with its equal ops/accessibility policy. My own view is, coming from a government agency it didn't look very professional, and the tick boxes on the electronic copy were non-functioning as they always are. It seems no-one in 'human resources' (personnel) knows the difference between a field and a character when both look like boxes."

"Equal ops/accessability policy."[ assume everyone is stupid] I couldnt help laughing when i read that.Just unbelievable really.

What is *inaccessable* about the other typfaces you have mentioned ??

Unbelievable .

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "House of Usher"Working in education I can tell you that these days 'Comic Sans' is recommended as a font to use in classroom handouts because it's supposed to be easier for divs to read.

Jesus.

Fucking.

Christ.

It's a fucking abomination. That lousy capped uppercase 'I' alone is enough to make me start throwing things. Add into that the aforementioned incompetent kerning and the fact that it is unique among fonts in having no "natural" point size, looking bloody awful at both body text sizes and headline sizes alike.

It's pretty much an insult to anyone who ever went to the trouble of properly designing a font.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JamesC

I like potato printing and making things out of Lego.

Sadly, as a 32 year old man I don't really have an excuse to do either of these things any more. Maybe I should father a kid.

Bouwel

You never need an excuse to play with Lego.

If pushed just pause, look thoughtful and say you're making a trebuchet or similar.

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

worldshown

Now you mention the Legos...

I sent away for the 12 mini Lego kits from the Daily Mirror in October with the intention of giving them to my great-niece for Christmas.

Got bored and drunk one night and ended up making all of them. Had to buy her something else.

Peter Wolf

I like rummaging through boxes of rubbish and tat at bootfairs to look for goodies or looking in skips.

I like digging in Victorian landfill sites/rubbish tips for glass and pottery receptacles.

House of Usher

Since writing off Campari the other day, I've acquired a bit of a taste for it, if mixed with tequila and dry+sweet vermouth a 'Rosita'). But it's so bitter you can't taste the subtle flavours in anything else - like the sour notes of lime in a Havana Bandana, for instance - for a while afterwards.
STRIKE !!!