Main Menu

2000AD for Kids

Started by pauljholden, 08 February, 2012, 11:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauljholden

I realise that there's no way 2000AD are going to launch an entire kid friendly comic book line, and I also realise that I've banged this drum before, but, that said, I have a modest proposal:

I would like the Megazine reprint slot to be turned into a new monthly magazine - bagged with the meg - that features the most kid friendly material. It should be presented as a wholly new comic book. One which, if given to someone would look and feel like a new mag. I think great graphic design can do that, and I think great editorial can help as well. It should have a name that suggests something fun and thrilling, and futuristic without being stuck with the somewhat anachronistic (for non-readers) title '2000ad' and Tharg should be very boldly front and centre.

It should dig out from the archives material that suitable - material that, actually, 2000AD have rights to reprint but is unlikely to ever be reprinted because it lacks a suitable venue (Bonjo from Beyond the Stars, the old Tharg stories with the dictators of Zrag, etc).

From the modern era, I'd lead the entire thing with Banzai Battalion - granted it breaks my own rules somewhat - but for kids it's a great fun strip, tiny robots in a garden? perfect.

Basically, I want to be able to buy the meg and get two comics - one for me, and one for my kids.

Now, I lack a collection of 2000AD, and my memory is very hazy - can you think of strips that would be appropriate?

W. R. Logan

maryanddavid

Funny, I was going through the Exterme Editions for my oldest, shes 9. She picked out Meltdown Man, Ro Busters and Robo Hunter. Meltdown Man is going down a storm, a proud moment :D
I have shown them stuff like the Tharg stories, and Time Quake, I think the contempory setting of the early eighties seemed old fashioned for them.
Belardinellis art is a great for kids, I think if she sticks with the  Meltdown Man, Ace Trucking will be carted out.

Its a nice idea, what id love to see some sort of team up between 2000ad and Titan to put out a new kids comic, not likely but I can dream.

David

Emperor

I like this idea.

You could try Captain Klep, Luke Kirby if they could ever sort the rights out, etc.

To be honest I'd like to see a 2000AD for kids (from Rebellion), possibly starting out digitally to cut costs? Use Kickstarter to get the initial funds!
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

pauljholden

Ace Trucking co was suggested (by Si Colbey on facebook*) and you know, I thought "Belardinelli's would be great for kids stuff". It's those hypnotic, surreal lines of his, kids these days - exposed to the simpler lines of cartoons - will never have seen anything like 'em.

-pj
*Though he felt it may be a little too old fashioned.

JOE SOAP

So it's an idea aimed at those with kids?

pauljholden

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 08 February, 2012, 11:44:55 PM
So it's an idea aimed at those with kids?

Well, I think of it as a very KID friendly reprint comic. Personally, I MISS the days of seeing Tharg actually IN his own strip.

I hope it wouldn't necessarily alienate those without kids - I'm pretty sure much of the audience read the stuff when they were kids. Though, if that's a worry, then maybe don't dress the reprints up as it's own separate comic.

-pj

Emperor

Quote from: pauljholden on 08 February, 2012, 11:43:53 PM
Ace Trucking co was suggested (by Si Colbey on facebook*) and you know, I thought "Belardinelli's would be great for kids stuff". It's those hypnotic, surreal lines of his, kids these days - exposed to the simpler lines of cartoons - will never have seen anything like 'em.

Although back then this kid hadn't seen anything like it either.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

W. R. Logan

Walter the Wobot
The Gronk
Blackhawk   Captain Klep
The Angry Planet
Early A.B.C. Warriors
Ro-Busters
Droid Life
Ro-Jaws' Robo-Tales
Supercovers
Tharg The Mighty
Tharg's Future Shocks
A Joe Black Adventure   
Abelard Snazz
Ace Trucking
Agent Rat
Ant Wars
Bonjo from Beyond the Stars
Fiends Of The Eastern Front   Flesh
Harlem Heroes
Harry Twenty
Journal of Luke Kirby
Meltdown Man
Return To Armageddon
Robo-Hunter
Shako
Skizz
The V.C.'s
Diceman
Metalzoic
Stainless Steel Rat

Bubba Zebill

Now there's a terrific idea! Why not?
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Colin YNWA

Anything that gets the kids into the Galaxy's Greatest has got to be a good idea... which this may well be?

Davek

Good idea - I would get anything 2000ad for my kids.

TordelBack

That's a great idea, and should be acted on forthwith.  The only real problem I can see is 'people' objecting to a kids' comic being bundled with the gore'n'tits the Meg sometimes indulges in, but sod them.   

As often moaned I struggle to find easily-accessible 2000AD material, and comics in general, that I'm happy for my 5 year old to read.  Flesh went down well, but much as I love Flesh: Texas it was a bit heavy to take him on to.  As reported here he was non-trademark-infringingly thrilled by The Phoenix, but then I ran headlong into problems of price and distribution. 

We've run through the gamut of newsagent comics, Batman, Dinomite and Clone Wars and such, but for the considerable money there really isn't much in there compared to what used to be packed into an issue of even second-stringers like Tiger or Warlord (and certainly bugger all to hold both of our attentions), just a handful of story pages, some puzzles and cut-and-paste features and lots and lots of advertising.  My son likes stories, and despite some obvious talent employed on comics like Brave and the Bold, there really aren't many of those.

I gave buying up the Meg well over a year ago to help fund this exploration, and we've ended up reading my tattered old Tintins instead (thanks to Spielberg, Moffat and Wright there, I'm having a blast!). 

Tharg should do this. Now.

Then I could start getting the Meg again!

strontium71

How about doing it on a trial basis for six months or so? Gauge the reaction from the parents amongst you. And why not have it so that they can send in their own drawings in? Something I miss seeing in the weekly.
...because I hate you.

Van Dom

It's sucha good idea it seems like a no-brainer.
Fact - I don't buy the meg.
Fact - I would if the 'free' comic it came bagged with was as described by PJ.
As Tordelback says, the 'comics' on the market for kids these days are a total joke, nothing but pages and pages of repetitive 'puzzles' and colouring in things. You can't even really call them comics as the comic content is about 3 or 4 pages in each. There's the Beano and the Dandy of course but though I've tried them numerous times, my kids never seem to be that interested. My daughter did like The Phoenix sampler David sent me though.
Rebellion are definately missing something here I feel. They are producing these supplementary comics anyway, all they need to do is precisely what PJ says,wouldnt take all that much extra effort. And what joy if it meant producing a brand new 5 page "Tharg" story to go in each issue. I don't think any of us on here would be opposed to seeing that - I'd love it!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!