Main Menu

Judge Dredd Complete Case Files Volume 20

Started by The Bissler, 23 June, 2012, 11:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bissler

I was wondering if there was any news as to when the next volume of the complete case files is being released?  I do appreciate that I've posted this not too long after v.19's release, but in the past a certain online retailer has had the previous editions on pre-order about 6 months (and possibly longer) before release, yet there is no sign of that yet for v.20. 
I'm hoping that the case files aren't being abandoned in favour of reprinting some of the epic collections, ie the recent release of The Cursed Earth & The Day the Law Died.  With the film coming out, it makes perfect sense to release collected tales such as these to introduce a new generation of readers to the world of Dredd, but I'm hoping that this will not be at the expense of those of us who have been keenly snapping up every edition of the CCF's...
Incidentally, I'd like to add that I was delighted to read the news that a new edition of America is being released, can't wait to read that and add it to my collection!

HdE

Wholeheartedly agree! The case-files are too good a format to be ditched! And i say that as someone who only just started buying them up in force.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

James Stacey

Restricted Files 4 is next on the release list so that will push case files 20 back. Speaking as someone who would buy them monthly though, yes they need to pick up the pace. It's just a pity the CCF's are hitting the nadir of stories as the film hits (which might be why they have delayed it mind)

The Bissler

Quote from: James Stacey on 13 July, 2012, 10:22:27 PM
Restricted Files 4 is next on the release list so that will push case files 20 back. Speaking as someone who would buy them monthly though, yes they need to pick up the pace. It's just a pity the CCF's are hitting the nadir of stories as the film hits (which might be why they have delayed it mind)

I'm sure you're right James, they probably don't want potential new readers who are intrigued by the film to pick up a graphic novel with some of the poorest tales from Dredd's history and being put off straight away.  I'm sure the rerelease of America is aimed at this audience in mind as it is regarded as one of the best Dredd tales. 
Like you, I'd buy one a month but I don't mind being patient in an effort to attract a whole new wave of Dredd fans (so long as the delay doesn't become permanent)!

SmallBlueThing

They could always do what i suggested ages ago and simply JUMP FORWARD a few volumes and make the next one 23 (or whenever they get consistent again). Then, when hype has died down a bit, release 20, 21 and 22.

I literally cannot see any reason why this doesnt make perfect sense. If you've got volumes and volumes worth of brilliant stuff that people want to buy, and potentially a whole new audience thanks to a movie, but a numbering sequence prevents you from releasing them because you have a couple of volumes of crap to get through first, surely you just dont release the crap and jump straight to the good stuff? Surely? Completists like me and cf can wait for the spine numbers to be completed. Surely the content is more important? And it's not like the spines match anyway, or like it really is 'complete'.

SBT

The Bissler

I'd go for that SBT!  Sadly I think it's too late for Rebellion to arrange this in time for the film to come out...

By the way, I noticed there is a very loose sequence to the spines, the colours went back to the start after CF 10 (ie, 1 & 11 are red, 2 & 12 yellow, etc).  It's hardly jumps out though so it would make no odds to me if the sequence was muddled up!

Richard

On the other hand, if they hadn't gone so slowly to begin with we would have got through the Dark Ages and onto "The Pit" by now.

But on the plus side we still have "Bury My Knee at Wounded Heart," "Giant," "The Tenth Planet" and other Wagner goodness to look forward to in 20 and 21.

TordelBack

Quote from: Richard on 14 July, 2012, 01:43:39 PM"The Tenth Planet"

I wonder will they ever do a story explaining where the Ninth Planet came from...

vzzbux

Pluto will always be a planet in my eyes.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Leigh S

While skipping forward sounds a neat solution, a couple of potential problems...

more casual picker uppers may well be confused and frustrated by the "missing" files and even possibly lose heart at that point...

as a publisher you are admitting that the volumes you've skipped are sub standard, when what you really want to do marketing wise is plaster "MARK MILLAR!!!" all over them in the hope of picking up on his success while quietly underplaying the actual details of the content! :) 

HdE

You know, I recently decided I'd start a kitty for the case files. I do this for my must have comics (Chew, Astonishing X-Men, Transformers) and I honestly don't know WHY it never occurred to me to tdo this for Dredd. I suspect it may have something to do with me being a bit daft.

BUT - on perusing Amazon for the first purchase, I notice that Case files 3 is going for RIDICULOUS money. Out of print, perchance?

I'd have thought there might be some wisdom in making sure as much of the case files volumes were in print as possible around the new movie's release date. They'd be BOUND to see a spike in sales, wouldn't they?
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Richard

Case Files 3 was a total rip-off. Look how thin it is on your shelf compared with the other black and White editions.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Richard on 16 July, 2012, 05:33:20 PM
Case Files 3 was a good example of Rebellion's respectful approach to the material they republish, being cut shorter than the previous volumes so that The Judge Child Quest wasn't cut in half and split between two books.

Fixed that for you.
@jamesfeistdraws

klute

Quote from: HdE on 16 July, 2012, 09:55:02 AM
You know, I recently decided I'd start a kitty for the case files. I do this for my must have comics (Chew, Astonishing X-Men, Transformers) and I honestly don't know WHY it never occurred to me to tdo this for Dredd. I suspect it may have something to do with me being a bit daft.

BUT - on perusing Amazon for the first purchase, I notice that Case files 3 is going for RIDICULOUS money. Out of print, perchance?

I'd have thought there might be some wisdom in making sure as much of the case files volumes were in print as possible around the new movie's release date. They'd be BOUND to see a spike in sales, wouldn't they?

Rather oddly CF 3 have been classed to some extent as rare i'm sure i mentioned a while back,i wasn't sure why but hunting  it down at the time of my complaint was near impossible unless you wanted to pay crazy money whilst other CF's seemed readily available and for a decent price
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

a chosen rider

It's still apparently available from the official shop, unless that just hasn't been updated.
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps