Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

I enjoyed killing people or not killing them as I saw fit. Some of them deserved to die.

ThryllSeekyr

Orc Must Die was fun for a while.

I just got Flame Bracers

radiator

I played a bit of the Telltale Game of Thrones game over Christmas.

I can sort of see why people like it, but I just don't think this particular sub-genre is for me. Probably sounds a bit luddite of me, but I was hoping for more of a game than a conversation simulator with occasional QTEs (basically what amounts to "press 'up' to not die'). Literally reminded me of Dragon's Lair or something.

I was expecting more of a puzzle-solving or exploratory element.

It's well written*, but if story is literally all there is to it then I'm not sure what the purpose of the exercise is as opposed to just reading the books or watching the show, which has infinitely superior and more atmospheric visuals? I never got the impression that decisions I made would really affect anything significant - how could they?

*It was all quite ingeniously put together, and mildly intriguing despite the cast and their roles basically amounting to them being the Fake Starks™

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 05 January, 2015, 02:43:03 PM
Orc Must Die was fun for a while.

I just got Flame Bracers

I just can't beat Killing Fields level...(Which reminds me of one of the second works of Slaine I ever collected with the same name.)

ADVICE PLEASE......

Ghost MacRoth

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 05 January, 2015, 11:11:03 AM
I enjoyed killing people or not killing them as I saw fit. Some of them deserved to die.

Same here.  Plus, it did tell you that the more murderous your passage, the darker the outcome of the game would be.  As well as generating more swarms of rats due to all the bodies of course!
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

A £3 mobile text adventure game called 80 Days.

You play as Passepartout aiding Mister Fogg's success in his wager to circumnavigate the globe in a time frame smaller than the title. Taking place in an alternate steam-punkified version of the 19th century, it's basically one of those old Choose Your Own Adventure games in a digital format. It's really well written and really engaging, it has had me hunched over my Iphone like a teenager for hours on end. The graphics are serviceable, all your stops are represented by a simple picture of a famous local landmark, plus there's a variety of steampunk vehicles and an Indiana Jones style map tracking your progress.

The game play mostly involves dealing with the locals and finding routes to help you in journey, all while keeping an eye on the finances and Mister Fogg's health. I've come a cropper to bandits, totalitarian governments, the elements, but mostly the Pacific ocean is my main stumbling block. I have also succeeded in the quest, while uniting forbidden lovers, freeing political prisoners and punching Jesse James right in his big stupid face. The world is well realized, there seems to be bigger things going on behind the scenes. Now that I've had a few successes under my belt, I feel like trying to find out what's really going on in this world, even if it means losing the bet. The whole thing is wonderfully dense, full of intrigue and adventure.

Ripping good fun.
You may quote me on that.

NapalmKev

The Evil within!

I really enjoyed it despite it being Bastard Hard.

The Game (early on) does suffer heavy comparisons with Resi 4, and the later Silent Hill games, but I still found it had enough of its own going on to make it stand out as a worthy Horror Game.

Excellent, and well worth a purchase!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Keef Monkey

Playing The Evil Within just now myself (thanks Santa!) and loving it. It is indeed Bastard Hard and has kicked my ass consistently, but in a very satisfying way. Don't think I've made it through a single encounter comfortable, it's always been just by the skin of my teeth which is the way a horror game should be and a very tricky balance to pull off. Surprisingly scary too, the atmosphere is ace (it has a real In The Mouth Of Madness vibe in places).

Theblazeuk

Quote from: King Pops on 06 January, 2015, 04:29:37 PM
A £3 mobile text adventure game called 80 Days.

Ripping good fun.

Yep! Completed it about 5 times now. Replay is only just getting annoying as I have to retread old ground near the beginning before I get to the points I 'missed' the first time around. That said if I choose certain routes - the teleporter, a certain submarine, a zulu king or an arctic expedition - I'm sure things may turn out differently even if I've been there before. Still can't work out how to get to half of the towns in the US though :/

Awesome game. Well worth my £3.

ThryllSeekyr

I just completed Orcs Must Die earlier today and have been playing again for second time.

Right now, I just knocked off after failing the Library Mission for a third or forth time today.

Even though I now know what to do much quicker, I'm must be getting tired to keep going.

ThryllSeekyr

I purchased The Bard's Tale via STEAM today.

After previously playing and completing this version on the PSTWO years earlier.

It's worth another play, and I did play this game again years later and still yet years before now. Only getting as far one of the missions where I had get the Bard to rescue a some body important from Trows in the forest.

This time it comes complete wit the first three games in the series, which involved creating party of characters the like of which could either Human/Elf/Dwarf/Half-Elf/Half-Orc/Hobbit/Gnome that would become either Warrior/Conjuror/Magician/Hunter/Bard/Rogue as you lead them through the town of Skara-Brae (Which is a real place some in the north of Scotland, you know! I not use how accurately it's been recreated for this game or if it's even on the same planet as ours, but it's bears the same name and that's all I know about it!).

I think it was the second game I had originally brought back in 1989 or 90 and it was packaged with the dungeon disk that belonged to the first game in the series. So, my party of adventures were confined to the town for the entire game. They could never enter the started dungeon, which is essential to getting on with and completing the game. Instead of taking the game back to the store where I brought from and complaining. I continued playing the game while occasionally growling about it to myself.

Friends would visit me and each create their own character while we would all just sit and watch as this motley crew wander around town for hours fighting and running from random monsters. Long after they left for home, I would continue to play on.  Characters standing in the front row would get killed over and over as they would be replaced by new ones as the ones in the back row  would so level up.

I soon had a very experienced Hobbit - Bard by the name of Orpheus (Named after similar character in Greek Mythology!) Don't know where those old C64 game disks are now.....

Then new game is very different, the original version had brought from the very same shopping centre Indoorpilly Shopping Town about eight years ago.

It's very different from it's parent game. The apple or acorn has fallen very far from the tree, on the then present generation of gaming console it could afford to be more cinematic with far superior graphics and they still look okay by todays standards.

Your game perspective alternates from the cinematics and top down when in full control of your character.
You choice of a party of characters is taken from you as you can only control the Bard after choosing his first combat skill and assigning a small number of points to his physical, mental and social characteristics.

The rest you must see for your selves.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 07 January, 2015, 04:35:13 PM
Quote from: King Pops on 06 January, 2015, 04:29:37 PM
A £3 mobile text adventure game called 80 Days...Ripping good fun.
Yep! Completed it about 5 times now. Replay is only just getting annoying as I have to retread old ground near the beginning before I get to the points I 'missed' the first time around. That said if I choose certain routes - the teleporter, a certain submarine, a zulu king or an arctic expedition - I'm sure things may turn out differently even if I've been there before. Still can't work out how to get to half of the towns in the US though :/
Aye, cheers for the recommendation. Picked this up last week and it really is a lot of fun. I've been around the world a few times but I've only just, after half a dozen attempts, managed to survive the Arctic Icewalker.

Another good one is A Dark Room, which is a fairly simple text based resource management adventure type game. It doesn't take long to play through but it's pretty neat, has a nice atmosphere and only costs 79p.

Also about halfway through The Last of Us. Despite the hype, I'm very surprised about the extent to which I've been drawn into the characters. I'm not so surprised about how difficult and aggravating I find the hair-trigger switches between sneaking around and all out Doom style blasting. Good stuff.
We never really die.

Grugz

battlefield 4 ,just shot down a gunship at the beginning ...

BUT downloading "resident evil hd" as we speak!!!!!! played this to death on my gamecube and nearly didn't sell it because of it  so looking forward to this!
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Professor Bear

Tomb Raider, which for some reason really felt a lot more like an Uncharted rip-off on the second playthrough than it did first time round, not helped by some identical scenes and settings, particularly the ship graveyard stuff from the notoriously superfluous (but admittedly spectacular) pirate levels of Uncharted 3.  Still laughably easy, though, and most of the acting is atrocious, particularly the blank slate of a lead character who seems to have lost a few IQ points along with all her charisma, and spends much of the game story being slapped about or running scared to the point that when she tries to act tough later in the game I was laughing as much at the very notion as I was the actor's terrible and unconvincing delivery.  The backtracking gameplay is well done, if unnecessary, and while there aren't many Uncharted clones this brazen as competition - except maybe the abominable Star Trek - it's still a fun update to the series.

LEGO Lord of the Rings, which is good fun, but after LEGO Indiana Jones is probably the weakest of the LEGO games.  Like others in the series, some of the "puzzles" simply rely on you knowing which of the many LEGO characters have particular abilities and switching to that character, but abilities are also granted by specific objects discovered during exploration of the open world setting, and not every object ability/character ability is explained in the game - I had to look online to find out how to destroy metallic LEGO objects, for instance - so things get increasingly obtuse and it's just a matter of mucking about until you figure a way forward, which is actually not always as frustrating as you might expect, so long as you like mucking around in games wasting time and aren't goal-oriented.

Satanist

Resident Evil HD will be mine tonight and I will complete it this time. Finished Resi 1 on the DS last year as preperation for this. Cannae wait and Ive got Resi 2 & 3 lined up on the Vita for afters.

This should finally break my Destiny addiction (I know its shit but I just cant stop).
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?