Main Menu

Upcoming Steam Sale.... what are people waiting for?

Started by bluemeanie, 13 June, 2014, 02:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rog69

The recent Wofenstein game is half price today, quite a good discount for a relatively new release.

it weighs in at around 50GB though so with my broadband I wont be playing it for a few days!

CheechFU

I put 60 quid on steam, spent 58.72 and have 11.88 left.
Thanks trading card nerds  :lol:

shaolin_monkey

Despite my protestations earlier about not buying anything, 'cos I have too much already.... I bought something.  Several bloody somethings in fact!

First up, Wolfenstein - I was battling a hangover, so it made me feel motion sick.  Seems like a quality game though.

Second, Enslaved:  Odyssey to the West - damn fine game, largely scripted and choreographed by Alex Garland.  I love it, as it's a kind of loose retelling of Monkey/Journey to the West, in a futuristic setting.

I went to a preview of this game in the BAFTA centre in London,  courtesy of Ninja Theory (I plastered their facebook page with Monkey/Sun WuKong stuff, and I think they invited me just to shut me up).  They sung Alex's praises to heaven and back for his work on this. 

However, when I quizzed Alex about it he was very modest and said that in fact Ninja Theory had the game story and structure in place already, and he just fine-tuned it and added a more cinematic feel. 

Anyway, this game has hands-down the best playable opening sequence EVER!  Real seat of your pants stuff!

Next up, Chivalry - Bluemeanie bangs on about this all the time, and it was so cheap I thought 'why not?'  I had some multiplayer fun on it last night.  It's like a slightly more polished Mount and Blade.  Not bad at all - good hack and slash fun.

There's more, much more, but I can't remember what I got or why, and anyway haven't played them yet.

DAMN YOU STEAM SALE!!!!

The Enigmatic Dr X

I too bought Wolfenstein. And Broken Age. And something else I cannot remember.
Lock up your spoons!

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 30 June, 2014, 01:44:12 PM
Second, Enslaved:  Odyssey to the West - damn fine game, largely scripted and choreographed by Alex Garland.  I love it, as it's a kind of loose retelling of Monkey/Journey to the West, in a futuristic setting.

I went to a preview of this game in the BAFTA centre in London,  courtesy of Ninja Theory (I plastered their facebook page with Monkey/Sun WuKong stuff, and I think they invited me just to shut me up).  They sung Alex's praises to heaven and back for his work on this. 

However, when I quizzed Alex about it he was very modest and said that in fact Ninja Theory had the game story and structure in place already, and he just fine-tuned it and added a more cinematic feel. 

Anyway, this game has hands-down the best playable opening sequence EVER!  Real seat of your pants stuff!

Alex Garland, isn't he connected with the Dredd film that was made nearly two years ago.

On the Subject of STEAM's - SUMMER - SALE....

I've been buying too many games....

To name a few .....

I now have.....

The entire Dungeon - Siege - Trilogy (Minus Space - Siege which is not for sale on Steam. Such a shame, but it's got some bad reviews.)

The Batman - Arkham-City (GOTY) & Origins as well as Batman - Lego 1 & 2

All the original X-COM games. (Not the latest ones. Which I already own on X-Box-360). I think these games before the internet.

Some survival/crafting simulations based on the success of Minecraft.

Beasts of Prey. Not really worth playing yet, and it has Dinosaurs.

The Forest It's like that mini-series called Lost, except you alone on island and your son taken from you by some native mutants (Or so they say...)  and you have to gather supplies from around the plane wreck  and also gather stones, leaves, twigs, and logs (I can't do this in the game no mater how hard I try!) to built a camp site with free standing torches, a fire-pit, log-holder (Which I can't use yet!) a rabbit-cage, a one-person temporary-shelter, (used for sleeping in.) hunting-shelter, (Provides some protection from the natives, but can't be slept in.) Log-Cabin, (Provides more protection from Natives and need to have the temporary-shelter built inside it if you want to sleep in it.) Traps, garden, wooden walls, stairs, platform, a raft.(There is also a House-boat you can build, but I 've only seen tis mentioned in the Official-Wiki and not in the game so far as I could see.) I wasn't able to build anything other than the temporary-shelter, the fire-pit with some free-standing-fires, a rabbit cage of these because I didn't read this! You can also harvest animals for food and the cannibals for body parts if your lucky enough to kill one. Just don't let them catch you twice. [spoiler]They put you in a cave that you need to escape from the first time they over power you. [/spoiler]

Dark-Out It's a bit like better looking version of Starbound and less intuitive. I wasn't able to get far in this before gi9vng up. I will consult the wiki's and a You-Tube video tutorial  about this game later. 

Signs of Life. It looks the same, but less puerile looking. Here is the official Signs of Life - Wiki. I haven't played it yet.

Space-Engineers  I wasn't sure about this game, but I think it's more of building game than a survival one. Except you wearing a space-suit on a large platform with huge red space-ship floating in space. You have a jet-pack that you can use to fly around. Just be careful you don't hit anything really hard or fall. I explored the platform and entered the huge red space ship, but couldn't do more with that or build any thing without  finding out more about this game.   Compared to Elite -Dangerous space appears to brighter and as I flew away from the platform and I found another huge blue space ship. (Which I couldn't enter after finding the door. Something to do with my jet-pack and lack of gravity.) There is also lots of asteroids. Some of them were absolutely huge and the terrain on them very rugged. The textures are very convincing and very hard to walk on. Again this had some thing to do with the lack of a atmosphere with gravity, I guess. I flew away from it looking for the huge red space ship and it's attached platform which was looking very small by distance. When out of the corner of my eyes, I noticed the asteroid I just left had a entrance. While I noticed that few of them had holes in them, this one was hollow. So, flew back after having some problem with controlling the jetpack. (It has flight-assist and non-flight-assist for Newtonian-Physics flying.) It seemed bigger on the inside and the tunnel  soon lead to central cavern where over tunnels were found to leading off in other directions. Again I couldn't land here, and just kept flying. (I think the only reason, I can walk on the platform is that it's magnetic, and I have magnetic boots. Everything else is effected by weightlessness.) It was kind of more colourful inside as well. I think there were some yellow or gold, and some red, blue  textures. I eventually exit the asteroid and returned. I made a video of this as well as Dark-Out and will upload them sometime later.

To Be Continued....

shaolin_monkey

Alex Garland, isn't he connected with the Dredd film that was made nearly two years ago.

I don't know how to react to that. Are you serious, or just kidding about?

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 01 July, 2014, 01:36:40 PM

Seriously no....

Unless their are two people with the same name.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 01 July, 2014, 01:51:01 PM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 01 July, 2014, 01:36:40 PM

Seriously no....

Unless their are two people with the same name.

Sorry mate, what I meant was I am very surprised you even had to ask that question on this board.  He most definitely was involved in Dredd, and it is very unusual for someone to post on this board and be unsure about that.  Hence why I thought you may be joking.

Have a look at this thread! 
http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,36741.0.html

Sorry for the thread derailment - lets get back to the Steam Sale now!

:D

ThryllSeekyr

No sarcasm intended and I was surprised he was behind that game as well the as the film.

Do you think he will ever write for a decent film about the Stone-Monkey-God.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 01 July, 2014, 02:11:23 PM
No sarcasm intended and I was surprised he was behind that game as well the as the film.

Do you think he will ever write for a decent film about the Stone-Monkey-God.

That would be awesome, but for now I'm happy with Enslaved! :D

CrazyFoxMachine

Sale is over and not a single thing bought  :'(

'twas a period of mighty and terrible temptation - hopefully I'll have a job when the next sale rolls around.

Hawkmumbler

I got The Forest. It's so hilariously broken I can't stop playing it. And why to the cannibals explode when you hit them with an axe? :lol:

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 02 July, 2014, 10:04:44 AM
I got The Forest. It's so hilariously broken I can't stop playing it. And why to the cannibals explode when you hit them with an axe? :lol:

Have you figured out how to chop down trees?

Hawkmumbler

By carrying a severed hand and knocking it against them? I'm not even kidding, that totally works!

And who designed the AI on the freaking Seagulls?! Kill one and they swarm to you!

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 02 July, 2014, 02:18:13 PM
By carrying a severed hand and knocking it against them? I'm not even kidding, that totally works!

And who designed the AI on the freaking Seagulls?! Kill one and they swarm to you!

Hmm, it says one if the programmers is A.Hitchcock...