Main Menu

Lawgiver question

Started by Simon Fraser, 09 August, 2019, 06:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon Fraser

I'm a little out of touch . It's been a while since I drew a Dredd. About a decade or so by my reckoning.
What's the current Lawgiver model? Photo reff would be appreciated.

Thanks kindly

Simon Fraser.

Jim_Campbell

There's a bit of a move amongst art droids to adopt the Carlos version, which I absolutely wouldn't discourage you from doing. Are you doing a new Dredd, then, Simon? Fucking fantastic if you are!

LINK
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Simon Fraser

The original Carlos version?  If so then I'm all for it.

Si.

Frank

The Carlosgiver is the only way to go.

The link in Jim's link has images of the 3D model from every angle, but here's how fellow droids have used it in recent strips:

Chris Weston (prog 2141):

Chris Weston (prog 2142):

Staz Johnson (prog 2136):

I can live without the gold eagle detail, but opinions are opinions.

I, Cosh

We never really die.

TordelBack

This is very good news. Fraser Dredds are lamentably few in number but always perfectly formed.

JOE SOAP

Steve Green

Quote from: Simon Fraser on 09 August, 2019, 06:18:48 PM
I'm a little out of touch . It's been a while since I drew a Dredd. About a decade or so by my reckoning.
What's the current Lawgiver model? Photo reff would be appreciated.

Thanks kindly

Simon Fraser.

Hi Simon,

I have the 3D model, so if you want any particular ref - just give me a shout.

Cheers

Steve

Simon Fraser

Thanks Steve. I haven't quite work out how to integrate 3D into my drawing process yet...or whether I want to. Seems like a slippery slope! However the Carlos Lawgiver is so deeply ingrained into me that I can draw it from childhood memory.

Si.

Jim_Campbell

Carlos' more recent version, adopted of late by Chris Weston and Staz Johnson and shown above, is really just a satisfyingly chunky version of the classic.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Steve Green

Quote from: Simon Fraser on 13 August, 2019, 12:37:08 AM
Thanks Steve. I haven't quite work out how to integrate 3D into my drawing process yet...or whether I want to. Seems like a slippery slope! However the Carlos Lawgiver is so deeply ingrained into me that I can draw it from childhood memory.

Si.

No worries, yeah like Jim said, it's similar to the original but with a fatter muzzle, more like the silencer version in the Apocalypse War.

The dial on the side has been simplified I think, it's more like a safety now, and there's an indicator on the other side.

Frank

Yeah, don't draw the original design, or readers will mistake that for the kind of visual cues - a rounded helmet and stars on the shoulderpad - that are meant to communicate a strip is set in the past.

TordelBack

Heh, that Frank: a visual cue that was, I believe, first put to that very purpose by some scribbler called Simon Fraser...

Frank

MacNeil gave Rico stars on the shoulderpad* back when Fraser was drawing Lux & Alby, but I think Fraser was the first ink monkey to show us his rounded helmet.

Debate me!

* .. and a Carlos badge and rounded shoulderpad, too. Megazine 2.44, December 1993

TordelBack

Everyone knows Megs and Specials don't count... 
  :-[