The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

STEVE GREEN ABSOLUTELY DEMOLISHES ANARCHIST SJW COMICS NERD INTO SILENCE

Funt Solo

PROFESSOR BEAR GOES NEXT LEVEL ON MSG BOARD NERDTARDS
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Hawkmumbler

Have I slipt into a mirror universe? Let me check out some YT videos on the subject aaaand it's just anti-jewish conspiracy theories.

MacabreMagpie

My nephew (12 at the time) managed to become a moderately successful 'YouTuber' a few years back. One of his clickbait gaming vids went viral and he'd gotten over 100k subs before his account was terminated for shitty practises (clickbait, fake giveaways etc).

The problem is that being a YouTuber is now the thing that a lot of kids his age aspire to and, being at that age where you experiment with your creativity by copying, many of the "YT celebs" they all follow pass on their shitty clickbait habits so they don't have any concept of why it's a problem. He views it as like playing a game, whereby getting as many views/subs is the only goal.

IAMTHESYSTEM

I listen to a lot of those old Science Fiction Radio shows like X-Minus One, the Escape series and the CBS Mystery hour on YT. Some excellent stories are to be found there like 'No Contact', Issac Asimov's 'Nightfall' and 'The Abominable Snowman' with actor Wiliam Conrad no less. There are of course dark things to be found on so open a public forum. Youtube is awash with chilling vids that claim the only way to save Western civilisation is to abandon Democracy in favour of an Authoritarian state like Russia's, conspiracy nuts who believe everything is a conspiracy against them and various scurrilous toadies promoting dodgy cults. For all its faults if you stick to your interests, YT has a lot to offer, though its grim parts are bleak indeed. They used to show the uncensored versions of various atrocities with soldiers happily posing with the blown apart bodies of civilians or shooting them down without mercy. They seem to promote a more censored version now with the gory bits blurred over.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

auxlen

I hate hyperbole...' DESTROYS' effectively means 'eloquently rebuts differing opinion' but I guess nobody clicks on that...

radiator

Youtube video thumbnails are absolutely hilarious. It beats the hell out of me why someone would be more likely to click on, say, a review of a digital camera if the thumbnail is of a guy holding up said camera and gurning in a comically over the top way, but here we are.

Hawkmumbler

Am I the only one who's suggestions have been flooded with those computer generated asset animations and Indonesian toy unboxings?

I had heard these absolute blights on the creative platforms had been doing the rounds for a few years now but suddenly i'm getting them suggested up the posterior....

Hawkmumbler

Has anyone mentioned Cinemasins and their utterly woefully inadequate approach to either film journalism or comedy? Honestly despise these berks.

Tiplodocus

It's a joke that wears thin very quickly... especially when you realise they might not actually be joking "ironically" about many elements  and are just really unobservant or lacking comprehension and interpretation skills.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

I still laugh at HONEST TRAILERS though.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Hawkmumbler

It's the aggregate and scoring mentality taken to a hellish extreme. Ebert has a lot to answer for and he wasn't even that great a critic either.

Frank

The New York Times, June 4, 2019

Christiane didn't think anything of it when her 10-year-old daughter and a friend uploaded a video of themselves playing in a backyard pool.

A few days later, her daughter shared exciting news: The video had thousands of views. Before long, it had ticked up to 400,000 — a staggering number for a video of a child in a two-piece bathing suit with her friend.

"I saw the video again and I got scared by the number of views," Christiane said.

YouTube's automated recommendation system — which drives most of the platform's billions of views by suggesting what users should watch next — had begun showing the video to users who watched other videos of prepubescent, partially clothed children, a team of researchers has found.

YouTube had curated the videos from across its archives, at times plucking out the otherwise innocuous home movies of unwitting families, the researchers say. In many cases, its algorithm referred users to the videos after they watched sexually themed content.

Users do not need to look for videos of children to end up watching them. The platform can lead them there through a progression of recommendations.

So a user who watches erotic videos might be recommended videos of women who become conspicuously younger, and then women who pose provocatively in children's clothes. Eventually, some users might be presented with videos of girls as young as 5 or 6 wearing bathing suits, or getting dressed or doing a split.

On its own, each video might be perfectly innocent, a home movie, say, made by a child. Any revealing frames are fleeting and appear accidental. But, grouped together, their shared features become unmistakable.

Researchers set out to test for the effect. A server opened videos, then followed YouTube's top recommendations for what to watch next. Running this experiment thousands of times allowed them to trace something like a subway map for how the platform directs its users.

When they followed recommendations on sexually themed videos, they noticed something they say disturbed them: In many cases, the videos became more bizarre or extreme, and placed greater emphasis on youth. Videos of women discussing sex, for example, sometimes led to videos of women in underwear or breast-feeding, sometimes mentioning their age: 19, 18, even 16.

From there, YouTube would suddenly begin recommending videos of young and partially clothed children, then a near-endless stream of them drawn primarily from Latin America and Eastern Europe.

Any individual video might be intended as nonsexual, perhaps uploaded by parents who wanted to share home movies among family. But YouTube's algorithm, in part by learning from users who sought out revealing or suggestive images of children, was treating the videos as a destination for people on a different sort of journey.

And the extraordinary view counts — sometimes in the millions — indicated that the system had found an audience for the videos and was keeping that audience engaged.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/03/world/americas/youtube-pedophiles.html

Professor Bear

To be fair to Youtube, it does also platform and magnify far right extremists to balance out the pedophile content.