Main Menu

2000AD themed games

Started by Spiritsword, 29 September, 2008, 09:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiritsword

Hi All,

I was wondering, has anyone played or designed any 2000AD themed games?
As a miniatures and RPG gamer I feel there is A LOT of potential here for quite a few different games.
I have just seen a set of plastic Celts come out so Slainetasticness is not long off.
I was also quite taken with the old series Leviathan, have used that a few times as an RPG setting.

Has anyone else done anything similar, would be interesting to see how other people have used 2000AD as a leaping block for gaming.

ThryllSeekyr

Apart from Dredd Vs Death and Rogue Trooper, not to mention a bunch of older 16 bit versions that also included Slaine, Nemesis the Warlock and Strontium Dog as well as what I had already mentioned.

Since the rules of 'Gangs of Mega City One.' Have been around I had figured that they may be converted to game not  so much different from the Warhammer 40 000K 'Dawn of War' series.  

Since I had actualley got my hands on the actual rule book, I then relised that the 'GOMONE' rules aren't what they seem to have been. Really, the game runs more differently from what would be almost mistaken for a Warhammer 40k table-top.

'Necromunda' does come to mind when thinking of 'Gangs of Megacity one.'

Still, I think it would be worth looking into.

Speaking of Slaine and Celtic Minatures --Of which I would like to see those that you have mentioned--.

I was thinking that Mongoose Publsihng whichwho did 'Gangs of Mega City ' might have done a Slaine variant of that game also.

At the time when I first discovered Slaine Murdach or Golamh as 'The Books of Invasions' was being chronicaled in the magazine. I could n't ignore the tell-tale signs of Warhammer 40k style photo-shopped art-work of Clint Lanely. I'm not suprised as he has done art work for them as well.

Anyway, it was also at this time that 'Dawn of War' was finally released and I managed to play this game quite few times in the computer cafes before buying it a few years later.

At the time, I thought it would have been cool to see a Slaine variant of a same 'Dawn of War' game based also on Slaine version of the Books of Invasion. Not so much a RTS as just another gory Skirmish game.

Why,,,, well why not. I had imagined a remarkable connection between the two genres as they were both put into the public eye at roughly the same time.

Now a few years down the track and about nearly a year since I brought the Last invasion graphc novel right now. This was all in my imagination and it never came to pass And I'm not sure it ever will.

TheEdge

slaine/2000ad version of Dawn of War is an excellent idea, and not too hard to acomplish for some MOD minded person using DOW as a base just MOD the animation/figures and names.
"Save Trees, Eat Beavers"
"Animal Rights: Animals have the right to be tasty"

Spiritsword

This is the link to the 28mm plastics
http://shop.warlordgames.co.uk/index.asp

They also do Romans which are just a beautiful. My local games store has them in and every time I go in, I just can't help myself.
Got a job interview on Friday so maybe not long after that I can 'persuade' myself to 'invest' in a box or two... or three... we shall see. =P

Anyway, yes a decent 2000AD PC would good. Something that captures the goretastic violence of Slaine especially Langley's art work, oh how I love it so.
Keep us all posted if someone with more computer smarts than I creates such a thing. Tharg I'm sure would be most pleased.

I personally prefer table-top miniatures games, not I hasten to add GW's BAD Warhammer rules but each to their own.
What I would like to do if I can find a equally minded person would be to as you say recreate the battles from the most recent books. It would be easy enough to make the opposing creatures (I can't remember how to spell their name!) there are mutants a plenty in many different miniatures ranges. It would be the characters that would be hardest, maybe easier just to put them aside and make your own.
On Warlord's website have a look at the Druids and tell me there isn't potential !

It would look quite stunning to have a physical representation of what you read and fantastic to see if you could do as well as Slaine and co did.
It might in fact be better to do it all in 6mm so you can really recreate the OMG there are bloody thousands of them ! feeling that I get from the comics.

Thoughts?
Tom

ThryllSeekyr

I forgot to mention, I have a few of the Slaine Foundry Figures.

I know one or two of them are based Mike MacMahon's artwork and the rest are Based on Steven Bisley's , Greg Staples artwork.

I haven't painted them yet.

This had me wondering if there was ever going to be a offiicial Slaine minatures game.

Perhaps they were just meant to be used for the Slaine D20 game.

Apparently not, I was imagining a Slaine variant of 'Gangs of Mega City One' minatures game. Because the Tribes of the Earth Goddes are sort of like gangs and then you have the other groups,  other tribes, and then the Formorians which are actualley mutants.

Your idea sounds cool.

Diaramas's showing all of Slain's great battles. at Clontarf, Rome, some of the British cities occupied by Romans, and the places claimed by the tribes of Earth Goddess.

I'd loved to see recreations of the battle of Dinas Emyres against Cytheron invaders, and the Books of Invasion stuff just like Clint Lanely had photoshopped/painted it.

Actuattley I would love to see a model of the enternal fortress on Dinas Emryes. That would be great.

ThryllSeekyr

You should try sourcing from Celtos Minatures.

//http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/NoFrames/CLT/index.html

Just like the Horned God

A Wickerman

[imghttp://www.germy.co.uk/pictures/Wickerfinal.jpg][/img]

Horned God

Looks abit like Slaine

This one is called Slaine.

Balor, the Formorian Leader

Mebh, the evil Witch.

Nuada of the Silverhand.

Recognise the artwork????

TordelBack

Soth!  I'd like to redden my axe in their brainballs, those piratical dev-els!  'Roth Mac Lyr', my sweaty skrunk strap!  Bloody awesome, those, I feel I may have to enquire about price... I have a small collection of old 25mm Slaine-"inspired" miniatures from various companies, some of them I even painted (gasp!), and there are some nice additions there...

Spiritsword

Those figures do look fine. I shall have to see about creating a few forces to do battle with !

Out of random curiosity, and I know it is a long shot, but any chance anyone is in or near Sheffield?

Spiritsword

I don't know how to add pictures but this one is even called Balor of the.... Dreadful Eye (Almost but not quite)
http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/NoFrames ... CLT-1.html

Spiritsword

After having a goodish look round the site it does seem to be an almost shameless rip off of everyone's favorite Celtic Axe wielder.
Does 2000AD know about this, do they care, do we/should we care ?

ThryllSeekyr

Actaully, I don't like that sculpt for Balor. It's too simple.

Needs to look more ghoulish, other than beastial, but thats just my opinion.

Spiritsword says.....

QuoteAfter having a goodish look round the site it does seem to be an almost shameless rip off of everyone's favorite Celtic Axe wielder.
After having a goodish look round the site it does seem to be an almost shameless rip off of everyone's favorite Celtic Axe wielder.

Well, I think Slaine just represents the more poplular parts of Celtic myth. It would be hard not to see abit of Slaine in all other facets of Celtic media.

Apart from that I haven't seen aby blantant ripp-offs of Slaine.

Not since Mel Gibsons' 'Braveheart' and that supposed to be just historical.

As for Celtos minatures. They have now been around , I know, since the 2002. I wouldn't
 even be able to buy the rule book with out ordering one from overseas. As I have been meaning to buy one just for the Clint Lanely paintings on the cover and inside. They no longer sell them in the places I have previously seen them.

So, I doubt ever seeing this interesting looking take on Celtic table top skimishs getting the same treatment that 'Dawn of War' has.

Hoping it would as a Slaine mod might seem more easy to do with this game than Warhammer 40k.

TordelBack

As often remarked, 2000D (and Pat Mills in particular) is on pretty shaky ground when it comes to 'inspiration' for its products.  In this case, the names (Balor, Slaine, Cathbad etc.) attached to comparable characters are firmly in the public domain.  The designs are very cheeky but subtly different, and Belardinelli, Fabry and Bisley are explicitly referencing specific Celtic (and earlier, and later) art and artefacts for costumes and looks, so I'd say it'd be hard sell to a judge...  Also, the figures aren't being sold as Pat Mills' Sláine miniatures, and it seems likely that Rebellion could easily license such an 'official' line with no real conflict.  Still, the Sourland take them all, the shifty buggers!  (I've just looked at the prices).

And I agree with TS, that Balor is very pedestrian.  Give me the Fabry Orang Utan any day.

Spiritsword

Got my Celts and Romans today plus a couple of Druid type figures from Derby Wargames shows today.

Very nice figures all.

While I was there, i saw a few Celtos miniatures. 'In the flesh' they are quite nice. Nothing amasing mind but nice enough.

paulvonscott

I've designed a Block War game, and got a few other bits and pieces lying about.

I've played the old GW games and some of the RPG's.  Hoping to do some 20000AD based gaming this/next year using Savage Worlds.

I'm definitely interested in this stuff!

Paul

ThryllSeekyr

I just got this painted Slaine Minature in the Mail Today.

Noticeing the packing it came in.

A tall looking Star Wars Clone Strike Booster Pack carbaord box supposed to be housing seven Starwars Minatures.

There's picture of a 'Super Battle Droid', 'Mace Windu' and a 'Aqualish Spy' on one outside of the box.

Well, I'm now convinced that one Slaine minature painted is worth seven Star Wars Minatures, Randomised, Prepainted, Fully assembled, Durable plastic with a full colour game stat card.

Thats what it says on the box.

Now I wonder if Slaine actualley has any place in the world of Star Wars?

Can the Mystical power of the Force ever be a match for a Warpspasm?

Should I think of this the other way round.

I'm not sure if the Holy Order of Jedi Knights would ever except Slaine as being pious enough to join them or his ability to Warp power through himself to ever be derivied from the Force, but in the very least he was stil accepted in the Knights of the Red Branch and became one of their leaders.

Ukko does look like he may be distantly related to Yoda.

Just look the ears.

But Jedi Master he is not but a Master Swindler.

Right now, I'm anxiously awaiting this one as well.

Looking abit this one ( same as the one I got today )

and this one as well.

Though you may notice the antlers are different and theres no feather.

I vaguely recall, the seller telling me it's Games Workshop minature.

I haven't heard of any company that do 2000AD Minatures.