Main Menu

Dredd OST

Started by FuzzChile99, 14 February, 2011, 11:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarsHottentot

Man, I really loathe the '95 soundtrack - totally tonedeaf to the material on hand, like all else in the film.  Pomposity was so the wrong way to go.

I hear something that crosses the gulf between Ennio Morricone spaghetti western guitar bombast and John Carpenter's 'Assault On Precinct 13' shock and drone - updated with modern electronics, bolstered with orchestration for the dramatic scenes and hints of guitar noise to taste.

Jim 'Foetus' Thirwell would be the PERFECT go to guy for the Dredd OST.

That both styles have already been mentioned (spaghetti western and Carpenter styled synth) says it's probably a good idea.

In any case - stark, not anthemic.
"I'm Asking You...BEGGING You-My Flesh, My Blood... It's Not Too Late!  Fix It Joe! You - You And Rico - You Can Do It..." - Judge Fargo

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: MarsHottentot on 19 February, 2011, 08:29:52 PM
Man, I really loathe the '95 soundtrack - totally tonedeaf to the material on hand, like all else in the film.  Pomposity was so the wrong way to go.

A very good description of the score. I just don't get it when people say they liked the music in that film, it was completely wrong for Judge Dredd.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Cyclopz on 19 February, 2011, 07:50:05 PM
I sometimes chat to this Guy on Youtube who does movie reviews. He has some very good points to make on the 95 Dredd film in a 3 part review.

The best review I've seen on that film anyway.

I thought it was a rambling mess, the film and the review.

Quote from: MarsHottentot on 19 February, 2011, 08:29:52 PMMan, I really loathe the '95 soundtrack - totally tonedeaf to the material on hand, like all else in the film.  Pomposity was so the wrong way to go.

It may seem that way now but the majority of people, fans included, would have chosen such a score for Dredd back then. Attitudes have changed in 15 years on how you treat films like this, tastes have become more sophisticated and been allowed to develop so we expect more in terms of visual and musical texture, but it just didn't happen for 80's/90's big-budget action films, even RoboCop had a similarly big 'operatic' soundtrack- Basil Poldouris after all was one of the most melodramatic composers of all time.

Hindsight is always great but hindsight can only work after mistakes have been made. Dredd was always a difficult adaptation, even more so back then. It was the wrong time to make it and the wrong people made it but that's how it goes.

FuzzChile99

The other guy Silvestri(not Goldstein who composed the theme  )did the music for C.H.I.P.S I guess the Hollywood people felt he might fit the bill (a show about cops on bikes they may of thought that might work) That review guy was right about a few things , no Rob whatever his name is  and Stallone barely using lawgiver etc etc but past is past damage done but wrong about the Cure .. could of been worse Stallone could of done the music himself like he did in Paradise Alley (he sings the title song too lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ali3tvSpVOg

JOE SOAP

Quote from: FuzzChile99 on 19 February, 2011, 10:02:45 PM
The other guy Silvestri(not Goldstein who composed the theme  )did the music for C.H.I.P.S I guess the Hollywood people felt he might fit the bill (a show about cops on bikes they may of thought that might work) That review guy was right about a few things , no Rob whatever his name is  and Stallone barely using lawgiver etc etc but past is past damage done but wrong about the Cure .. could of been worse Stallone could of done the music himself like he did in Paradise Alley (he sings the title song too lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ali3tvSpVOg

Goldsmith was the other composer.

and Armand Assante plays his brother in Paradise Alley also. Maybe Dredd '95 was a futuristic remake...

FuzzChile99

A Dredd movie with Tom Waits would be neat.

MarsHottentot

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 19 February, 2011, 09:41:43 PM
Quote from: MarsHottentot on 19 February, 2011, 08:29:52 PMMan, I really loathe the '95 soundtrack - totally tonedeaf to the material on hand, like all else in the film.  Pomposity was so the wrong way to go.

It may seem that way now but the majority of people, fans included, would have chosen such a score for Dredd back then. Attitudes have changed in 15 years on how you treat films like this, tastes have become more sophisticated and been allowed to develop so we expect more in terms of visual and musical texture, but it just didn't happen for 80's/90's big-budget action films, even RoboCop had a similarly big 'operatic' soundtrack- Basil Poldouris after all was one of the most melodramatic composers of all time.

Ah, but the Robocop score is actually really good and often worked in synergy with the scenes it was used, more often than not.  The Dredd soundtrack sounds arbitrary half the time, Dredd's first piece of screen time is a perfect example - it's completely histrionic in it's attempt to introduce import to the film's main character to where it actually amps up the film's ridiculousness - those were my thoughts at the time, they haven't changed!

I see where you're coming from in how my post was composed, but I didn't mean to imply that they should have gone with what I think would work - I just think it was poorly composed even within the era it was made.

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 19 February, 2011, 09:41:43 PM
Hindsight is always great but hindsight can only work after mistakes have been made. Dredd was always a difficult adaptation, even more so back then. It was the wrong time to make it and the wrong people made it but that's how it goes.

Very, very true.
"I'm Asking You...BEGGING You-My Flesh, My Blood... It's Not Too Late!  Fix It Joe! You - You And Rico - You Can Do It..." - Judge Fargo

TordelBack

Quote from: FuzzChile99 on 19 February, 2011, 10:14:02 PM
A Dredd movie with Tom Waits would be neat.

"The master of all Law is at hand!   I am here to do your bidding, Master!  I have
worshipped your Daystick long and far off!  Maassster!"

JOE SOAP

Quote from: MarsHottentot on 20 February, 2011, 06:55:52 PMAh, but the Robocop score is actually really good and often worked in synergy with the scenes it was used, more often than not.  The Dredd soundtrack sounds arbitrary half the time, Dredd's first piece of screen time is a perfect example - it's completely histrionic in it's attempt to introduce import to the film's main character to where it actually amps up the film's ridiculousness - those were my thoughts at the time, they haven't changed!

I think that's more to do with the crapness of the scenes than Alan Silvestri's music, he hadn't much to be in 'synergy' with. Trying to improve crap by adding 'life' tension and drama where it doesn't exist, via music, is a hard job. RoboCop's music is equally histrionic but the scenes work, are dramatised well, Dredd's don't and aren't. Dredd's 'main theme' has the same tone, mood, pomp, ostentation as RoboCop's except slower. They both seem like 80's films.

Michaelvk

Ooh! Silvestri.. Now that's an interesting idea..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

brendan1

Quote from: radiator on 15 February, 2011, 10:33:41 AM
QuoteI spent a couple of hours listening to the Playlist on Youtube for the KickAss OST.
That has to be one of the best soundtracks on record ( pun intended)
Recommended, I hope they use the same team.

IIRC, Kick-Ass used something like four different composers all working together - a pretty unconventional set-up which Dredd is unlikely to follow. I do think that John Murphy, who produced the grungier sounding tracks on Kick-Ass, is the natural choice for Dredd - and he has previously worked with DNA films on Sunshine and 28 Days Later.

John Murphy and the OST genius that is Clint Poppie, who made Black Swan, Moon, and Requiem For A Dream

MarsHottentot

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 20 February, 2011, 10:10:56 PM
Quote from: MarsHottentot on 20 February, 2011, 06:55:52 PMAh, but the Robocop score is actually really good and often worked in synergy with the scenes it was used, more often than not.  The Dredd soundtrack sounds arbitrary half the time, Dredd's first piece of screen time is a perfect example - it's completely histrionic in it's attempt to introduce import to the film's main character to where it actually amps up the film's ridiculousness - those were my thoughts at the time, they haven't changed!

I think that's more to do with the crapness of the scenes than Alan Silvestri's music, he hadn't much to be in 'synergy' with. Trying to improve crap by adding 'life' tension and drama where it doesn't exist, via music, is a hard job. RoboCop's music is equally histrionic but the scenes work, are dramatised well, Dredd's don't and aren't. Dredd's 'main theme' has the same tone, mood, pomp, ostentation as RoboCop's except slower. They both seem like 80's films.

Well, one actually is an 80's film (Robocop - 1987 vintage) and one is smack dab in the middle of the next decade. 

I think this is going to be one of those 'agree to disagree' situations as you've no hope of convincing me that Silvestri's OST is good, despite not having much (anything?) to work with.  This is, of course, just a matter of opinion and I certainly don't think less of you if you like it - I listen Library music and, potentially, it doesn't  get any cheesier than that.  And believe me, I'm not trashing Silvestri on the whole, either, I don't know what else he's done.  But the Judge Dredd OST?  No, I don't like it no matter what.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: MarsHottentot on 21 February, 2011, 11:30:11 PM

Well, one actually is an 80's film (Robocop - 1987 vintage) and one is smack dab in the middle of the next decade.  

I think this is going to be one of those 'agree to disagree' situations as you've no hope of convincing me that Silvestri's OST is good, despite not having much (anything?) to work with.  This is, of course, just a matter of opinion and I certainly don't think less of you if you like it - I listen Library music and, potentially, it doesn't  get any cheesier than that.  And believe me, I'm not trashing Silvestri on the whole, either, I don't know what else he's done.  But the Judge Dredd OST?  No, I don't like it no matter what.

I know when they were made that's why I said "they both seem like 80's films", the date makes no difference in terms of style though, the aesthetics of both are the same and Dredd looked dated at the time- it looks like an 80's film in it's 'glitz', codpieces and unlived-in look. As for liking Silvestri's score, I don't, it's not my thing, but it ain't no different to what most other action directors of that time would have asked for, RoboCop included, Total Recall et al. Dredd '95 is a product of it's time, but it's biggest problem is that it's a bad film made to excess.

MarsHottentot

Judge Dredd '95 is actually a lot like Super Mario Bros.  Seriously, it has that same kitchen sink approach, soundstage-y claustrophobia going on.  A lot of work was done on the design side (SMB is one of the worst movies ever, but it had great design - same with JD '95) but to no avail as clearly no one else came to work.

But that's got nuthin' to do with music!  I was just thinking about it...

Tiplodocus

Quote"A Dredd movie with Tom Waits would be neat."
Really? Much as I like Tom, I don't think he's the man for this job.  (If I recall, I didn't even lick what he did for Night On Earth.  A fantastic opportuinty to riff off the different cultures and timezones in the story but all we got was the same bit of music, whereever and whenever we were).

QuoteSMB is one of the worst movies ever, but it had great design - same with JD '95)
Really? Great design in SMB? Having had to watch it several times when Tiny Tips was younger and less discerning, I genuinely can't think of a single bit that made me go "Oh, but at least it looks coool".
Be excellent to each other. And party on!