Main Menu

The 100

Started by Professor Bear, 01 April, 2014, 02:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

I thought I'd start a thread for rutting-teens channel The CW's foray into high concept pulp sci-fi, The 100, in which 100 juvenile criminals are forcibly exiled from a failing space station to the surface of post-apocalyptic Earth for Reasons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM_2LwEtgkg

Coming from the makers of The Vampire Diaries and 90210, it naturally doesn't really bear up to any kind of scrutiny, but then it has a cast-iron defence in that it is a show from the makers of The Vampire Diaries and 90210 and it's your fault for thinking you were going to get rocket science even in a show that is actually a little bit about rocket science, though if you don't mind The Tribe by way of Defcon 4 with a cast of twentysomething kids with thirtysomething parents, it's a decent enough sci-fi effort that cleverly compartmentalises its two casts (young adults and actual adults) to seperate settings and storylines, with the kids on the ground meeting mutants and cannibals and the adults in space politicking and plotting each other's murder.
Only two episodes in and so far it's fallen out of the Predictable Tree and hit every branch on the way down, the dialogue will not be winning any awards, and the characters are uniformly unlikeable, but it's still watchable if like me you have pretty low standards.