Main Menu

Nintendo SNES Mini

Started by Link Prime, 26 June, 2017, 05:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Something else you don't need, but desperately want; http://gizmodo.com/the-super-nintendo-classic-edition-arrives-with-21-game-1796419063

I was lucky enough to get a NES Mini last year, and although it is the embodiment of nostalgia-cool, I will admit I've only played it about 5 times.

Nevertheless, I will try to get this too.

Greg M.

The original SNES is still, for my money, the greatest console ever. Some pretty good games in the line-up of this edition too - Secret of Mana, Link to the Past, Earthbound, Super Metroid, Final Fantasy III / VI, Super Mario Kart (of course.) Shame no Chronotrigger though.

Link Prime

Quote from: Greg M. on 26 June, 2017, 05:49:48 PM
Shame no Chronotrigger though.

As per your recommendation, I've been planning to get that- patiently waiting for the Virtual Console version on the Switch.

Greg M.

Hope you enjoy it when it emerges out of the time vortex - it remains my favourite game ever. If you like classic JRPGs, you won't be disappointed.

IndigoPrime

They'll make about 11 of the things and they'll be sold out instantly, if that NES Mini is anything to go by.

radiator

Looks cute, but I'd be much more excited about news regarding Virtual Console for Switch...

This thing not being portable means that I'd never play it.

Michael Knight

looks good but wondering if I will be able to actually purchase one this time, based on experience of Classic NES re-release last year

The Monarch

It also includes star fox 2 a game that never even got released like at all!

Michael Knight

Star Fox 2 ive never even heard of. This could clinch the deal for me. That and the classic F-Zero!

Radbacker

Well not too many games on it but that RPG goodness and Super Metroid are 100's of hours of gameplay alone.  And we get the classic Japan/euro/oz styling.  Like everyone else commented now to actually get hold of one

CU Radbacker

Link Prime

It's not looking good.

I missed the Amazon UK pre-order window, and Game.co.uk seemed to have crashed last night.
They no longer have pre-orders available either.

I did manage to get a pre-order registered on Smyths.ie last night, but can't recall using Smyths before so don't know if I can trust it will be fulfilled.
Smyths Ireland / UK also no longer have a pre-order option available at the moment, but they were selling it for the cheapest I've seen so far (£70 / €85).

Keef Monkey

Still not sure why these retro minis generate so much excitement, you can set up a Retropie with a SNES controller for next to nothing and stick as many SNES games as you want on it. 

It does look nice mind you (at least the European one does, the US SNES could never match its beauty).

Link Prime

Apart from the nostalgic and aesthetic appeal they have one other major selling point; they're manufactured by Nintendo.

JamesC

Are you sure Amazon are out of stock? I can't even find the product page so am dubious as to whether they've accepted orders yet.
I've registered interest on the Nintendo store so hopefully they'll email me when they're taking orders.

I'm not going to lose sleep if I can't get hold of one though. I find all this forced rarity and hype management a bit off-putting.

Link Prime

The Amazon UK pre-order option was mentioned on a few websites yesterday evening James, e.g.; https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/26/15875482/nintendo-snes-classic-mini-console-amazon-uk-preorder-pricing
It was closed by the time I got round to checking.

Nintendo are reportedly manufacturing a significantly higher volume of the SNES Mini's compared to the NES Mini's so there's a chance availability will be more widespread than it currently seems come September.
Could be they realized they shot themselves in the foot by not recognizing the potential demand for this type of console previously (the NES Mini is officially discontinued), and are ready to churn these out.