Main Menu

Introducing a youngster to Philip K Dick

Started by shaolin_monkey, 13 October, 2017, 01:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Quote from: ZenArcade on 21 November, 2017, 11:43:24 PM
Earlier stuff is quite accessible. Ganeymede Take Over, Game Players of Titan.  His short stories are excellent, the second variety is a classic. Z

I'll second that.

David.
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Quote from: Dandontdare on 22 November, 2017, 02:39:50 PM
I ground to a halt about a third of the way through Pat's book - it seems churlish to accuse an autobiography of being self-centred, but why can't he just say "the comic" or "the ABC Warriors"? Every time it's MY comic, MY ABC Warriors. Yes Pat, we know you created them, ease back on the possessive pronouns a bit. I get the same sort of feeling reading this as listening to a politician speak - you can't put your finger on an explicit lie or falsehood, but the tone and wording just gives the impression that the story is being spun and you're getting a very biased version of events.

In an effort to prevent further dreailing of this thread, I've tagged some thoughts onto Bad City Blue's review thread: Be Pure!  Be Vigilant! Behave!

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 22 November, 2017, 12:19:42 AM
Quote from: TordelBack on 21 November, 2017, 08:53:41 PM
Apologies for hijacking this thread, but do we know which PKD story Pat 'Damnation Alley' Mills alleges* was plagiarised by a 2000AD drold, only to be rumbled by the readers?

*in 'Be Pure, Be Vigilant, Behave!'.

I thought it was One Man's Meat (Beyond Lies the Wub)?

Not to be confused with No Exit which --intentionally or not-- reads like an expansion of a scene from Ubik.

Oh, & whilst we are on the subject, surely Stevie isn't the sole squaxx who has noticed how Alan Hebden's early first Future Shock First Contact is a point by point retelling of Katherine MacLean's most famous story Pictures Don't Lie*? Albeit Hebden does improve upon Maclean's original ending.

*also adapted by Al Feldstein & Bill Gaines with art by Joe Orlando as Chewed Out in Weird Science #12.

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"