Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 04 August, 2020, 12:18:57 AM
"Star Trek: Nemesis? More like Star Trek: Nemeshite!"

Never let it be said I made free with another man's schtick.

Keef Monkey

Watched a film called Mandroid last night, one of those things that's clearly been made with no money whatsoever over a number of years by some pals (think Bad Taste but much lower budget. No, lower. I find some of those films a bit painful and try-hard but this one was really likeable. It might have helped that we have a drinking game with our B movie nights where you have to take a drink if someone in the film says the name of the film and in Mandroid people say Mandroid a LOT.

Apestrife

Unforgiven Funny I'd never watched this one before, given the number of westerns and all sorts of noir films I've seen. Which is how I view it, sort of a western noir. I really enjoyed how gritty it was. Just wish it was a bit more dirty. For example when Munny comes into the saloon from the rain, and doesn't look too wet. Regardless, the scene is really dirty in tone. As are many others as well. For example when the "heroes" are to shoot the "heavy" one of the them starts to hesitate, and when the shooting is done the guy they're gunning for (who gets it while being unarmed and trying to crawl to saftey) is bleeding out from a gut shot. Not something I've seen too often in westerns. And I think Unforgiven is one of the best ones I've seen.

pictsy

Unforgiven is a film that made me believe I could like a Western.  I am not a fan of the setting of Westerns, but I did enjoy that film.

Recrewt

Unforgiven is the best western movie I have ever seen by quite some margin.  I wish I could go back and see it again for the first time.

The shootout in the saloon at the end - wow, that's some Saint of Killers stuff right there!

Rately

Unforgiven is probably my favourite Western.

The scenes between Gene Hackman and Clint Eastwood are bloody amazing, and when he rides out of the town at the end it still gives me chills.

That final shoot-out is still as tense now as it was the first time I saw it.

Keef Monkey

I really feel like rewatching Unforgiven after reading those posts, it's been a very long time and it's so damn good!

Watched The Gift there, I'm not sure why I went in expecting a horror movie (I forget how it was marketed but maybe that plus Blumhouse doing a lot of horror set that expectation) but it was quite different and I'm glad I went in not really knowing what it was. I mean, it deals with horrible things and definitely plays on some horror movie fears, but it's much more interesting than the scary stalker movie I thought I was getting into. Interesting film and really good performances all round!

Keef Monkey

Onto the reboot Star Trek movies now so rewatched the first one. I know a lot of old Trek fans don't like what they did with it and I can understand that, but I really like it and still really enjoyed it going back.

TordelBack

Star Trek Reboot Movies:
The first one is great fun - moronic in almost every way, but completely watchable. Cast quite spectacular. Alas, George Kirk, we hardly knew ya.
The second one is a re-shoot of the first one that somehow sucks all the fun out of it. Opening volcano sequence good, cast still good, almost everything else poor fare indeed.
The third one is just properly terrific, probably the best Star Trek we've had since the finale of Deep Space Nine. I'll happily accept it as an episode of Season 4 of the Original Series. That it signalled the end of the sub-franchise is a crying shame, and shows that people are just stoopid.

Rately

Quote from: TordelBack on 07 August, 2020, 02:56:50 PM
Star Trek Reboot Movies:
The first one is great fun - moronic in almost every way, but completely watchable. Cast quite spectacular. Alas, George Kirk, we hardly knew ya.
The second one is a re-shoot of the first one that somehow sucks all the fun out of it. Opening volcano sequence good, cast still good, almost everything else poor fare indeed.
The third one is just properly terrific, probably the best Star Trek we've had since the finale of Deep Space Nine. I'll happily accept it as an episode of Season 4 of the Original Series. That it signalled the end of the sub-franchise is a crying shame, and shows that people are just stoopid.

Totally agree on the first two, and yet to see the third one, so your review fills me with optimism.

Remember thinking the first movie was terrific when I saw it in the cinema, with some fantastic casting. First time I ever saw Chris Hemsworth, and thought for what little screen time he had, he was great.

Sad we might never see another one in the series, because the premise I read sounded terrific, seeing as they were trying to lure Chris Hemsworth back! Schedules and salaries probably strangled it.

Keef Monkey

Yeah the casting really is terrific all round, and watching it so close after the original cast movies has made me really appreciate what a good job Karl Urban does of Bones in particular. I've only seen Beyond the once but remember really enjoying it so looking forward to seeing it again. Definitely sad that they stopped making them, I know Pegg has been quoted as saying he can't see it happening because a 4th film wouldn't bring in the kind of bank it would need to for the budget to happen. Bit gutted about that, they were really onto something good with them.

JamesC

Star Trek 2009 was pretty good. I think they should have left it there.

Into Darkness was shite.

Beyond was an above average Sci fi adventure film but a rubbish Star Trek film. All that Beasty Boys stuff really made me cringe.

TordelBack

I dunno, I thought it was the most Star Trek-y of all three: it's actually about space exploration, strange new worlds, the characters' purpose and what happens to warriors when war is over. The Beastie Boys stuff is overdone, but it's still a fun sequence with great visuals. I love that the utterly crazy starbase elicits the same sense of wonder from my jaded eyes as Spacedock did in ST:III.

I'm a fan.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 07 August, 2020, 05:12:09 PM
Yeah the casting really is terrific all round, and watching it so close after the original cast movies has made me really appreciate what a good job Karl Urban does of Bones in particular.

It was positively uncanny!

Quote from: JamesC on 07 August, 2020, 07:35:09 PM
Star Trek 2009 was pretty good. I think they should have left it there.

Into Darkness was shite.

Beyond was an above average Sci fi adventure film but a rubbish Star Trek film. All that Beasty Boys stuff really made me cringe.

How so? I thought it felt more Star Trekky than ever - of course they had to ramp the threat up to Federation-threatening levels, but the basic 'investigate planet/oh no disaster/find a clever way to beat it' formula is pure ST. And as you said, its a well-made sci-fi film in it's own right. And is it the whole maguffin you didn't like or just the choice of music? I'll concede it was semi cringey.

EDIT - Tords posted while I was typing, but yeah, what he said

TordelBack

We are of one mind!  Not much of a mind, mind, but definitely singular.